HQ distance of control question..

So, I understand HQ's can control up to 5 units within 5 radius.

I have 2 questions:

(1) It appears that mountains block this range?  Is this correct?  I was playing Robert Carver's very fun 1948 World At War scenario for Gold Expansion and noticed that my American units trying to make his way to France to rejoin the American forces and thought he would be able to get signal from here:

HQ%205%20Radius%20Question.jpg

(Will he have contact with the HQ when he reached Milan?  There are no other American HQs in Europe at the start of this scenario.)

(2) Second question, does the distance between the HQ and the supported unit matter with regards to the "bonus" an HQ gives to a subordinate?  I know about the supply degradation, but does the distance between an HQ and a unit otherwise make any difference for HQ or combat bonuses?

Thanks for any help, and also thanks to Robert Carver for a fun fictional  "total war" scenario that doesn't involve the Axis and typical 1939 opening but is still a World War type scenario.  Fun alternative for me.  I also liked the other alt nation/world war combinations included in the campaigns of Gold and Democracy.

Thanks all,

--AOM

Hi silvercourage :) ,

1) HQ distance attachment:

If I remember well HQ attachment isn't 5 tiles away but 5 AP away (unless Robert Carver changed supply/HQ rules or something).

So in a way you're correct saying mountains block it because given AP cost of mountain tiles it's hard to extend supply/command through them.

In your screen the only road that would allow you to attach that US div where it is cross Switzerland but as it is neutral terrirory that won't work.

From what I see Milan won't be close enough if your HQ doesn't move: your US div will have to be on one of the two mountain tiles to the west or northwest.

2) HQ command bonus:

Short answer: no attachment distance doesn't change combat bonus from HQ.

Long answer: but as you noticed far HQs = less supply meaning lower unit stats (morale/readiness) meaning lower combat efficiency.

3) HQ steps:

Short answer: no 5 or 10 steps HQs doesn't matter for providing combat bonuses.

Long answer: same as above because of reduced supply for attached units (unless units have another supply source of course).

Pus reduced HQs will obviously lose experience stars when reinforced meaning less combat bonuses for attached units. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Strategic!  That makes sense. 

Getting the hang of these HQs is important piece towards winning this game so that was rely helpful!

I also noticed that even when I flanked the CPU and got a shot on his HQ's (or Aerial strike), they were actually a lot tougher than I was expecting.  I had an upgraded tank unit get a bloody nose trying to hit one once.  I dont recall tank supply, terrain, etc., exactly so it might have been a combination of things but their tougher than you'd expect!  :)

In any case, thanks again,

--AOM