Reload/resupply/repair?

Malakie

Just wondering if this ability was added?   Just went through a major battle and every tank and APC went dry.. and neither I nor the AI could finish the battle with no ammo..

We can resupply ground troops..  what about tanks and apc's?   If not, would love to see this option as well as battlefield repair for immobilized/damaged units..

Repair is absolutely out of the scope of any Combat Mission game. The same situation applied to vehicle mounted weapons.

Repairs require a field base (in most cases) and anyway is never done within a battle area, eventually only after the battle has ceased. Resupply of heavy weapons and vehicle mounted guns is sometimes a complex operation (depending on the vehicle) and never happens on a live battlefield, which is the setting of Combat Mission games.

Ammunition management is part of the game difficulty and can also influence the amount of victory points at the end of each scenario.

Infantry weapons and AT assets can be resupplied with infantry carrying vehicles and supply platoons, the latter can also become a fixed stack of crates, if the scenario designer desire. With these stacks of crates infantry units can be resupplied during the battle.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

can someone remind me how to heal squad casualties?

Buddy aid

page 59 in the manual

Medic
Any infantry soldier is capable of providing first aid on the battlefield (so called “buddy aid”) to nearby wounded friendly soldiers.There is no Command for this action, rather it happens automatically when a friendly soldier (regardless if he is from the same squad or not) is moved close to the location of an incapacitated comrade. Depending on the situation (incoming fire etc.) the soldier may decide to treat the wounded man. The word “medic” is displayed in the status field. The player can abort the treatment at any time by giving the parent unit that the medic belongs to any kind of Command. The medic may decide to abort the treatment himself as well if there is significant incoming fire. Additionally, troops will never perform buddy aid if there is a spotted (healthy) enemy within 100m.
Note: Dead soldiers can also receive “Buddy Aid” (by moving
a friendly soldier close to the location), but all it does is reclaim their ammo and weapons, if possible.

P

Also note, and I find it surprising that the manual isn't explicit on the matter, that all that buddy aid does is:

• recover any valid equipment off the casualty
  • remove the model of the fallen troop from the gameplay area
  • improve the chances of a WIA troop not becoming KIA at the end of the scenario
It particularly does not "heal" any casualties and return them to action; such injuries as can be restored to combat function are represented by the yellow silhouette wounded that aren't considered casualties.

Repair is absolutely out of the scope of any Combat Mission game. The same situation applied to vehicle mounted weapons.

Repairs require a field base (in most cases) and anyway is never done within a battle area, eventually only after the battle has ceased. Resupply of heavy weapons and vehicle mounted guns is sometimes a complex operation (depending on the vehicle) and never happens on a live battlefield, which is the setting of Combat Mission games.

Ammunition management is part of the game difficulty and can also influence the amount of victory points at the end of each scenario.

Infantry weapons and AT assets can be resupplied with infantry carrying vehicles and supply platoons, the latter can also become a fixed stack of crates, if the scenario designer desire. With these stacks of crates infantry units can be resupplied during the battle.

I look at it more from reality perspective.  In tactical situations repair is NOT out of the scope.  Vehicle repairs can and are repaired on the field, i.e. tracks, antenna, electronics and visual units.  Of course fully destroyed items have to be waited on but most units carry limited items and parts for this very reason and the crew handles it.

As for resupply, that is always available, if not by unit trucks/hemitts than by supply drops by helo or drop.  The only time that is not practical is in fast moving missions, supply lines are cut or weather does not allow it.

Also note, and I find it surprising that the manual isn't explicit on the matter, that all that buddy aid does is:

• improve the chances of a WIA troop not becoming KIA at the end of the scenario
It particularly does not "heal" any casualties and return them to action; such injuries as can be restored to combat function are represented by the yellow silhouette wounded that aren't considered casualties.

Like supply it would be nice if this were updated to allow a bit more capability... In fact I would love to have the ability to medevac units to save them, perhaps for later missions in a campaign for those that more units are not forthcoming and every man/unit counts AND also allow for reserve units to be brought in by helo or truck if a unit is pretty much combat ineffective due to casualties...

On a related subject, can someone remind me how to heal squad casualties?  I know it's possible but I am not sure what the mechanic is.

There is no "healing". Nobody gets brought back to 100% health like in a First Person Shooter. There is only what the others posted previously. The advantage to buddy aid along with retrieving weapons and ammo is if you do NOT "save" a comrade who is "incapacitated" (bright red crosses as opposed to dark red crosses which are dead) then there is a 25% chance that soldier dies and THAT goes against your score in the AAR.

Like supply it would be nice if this were updated to allow a bit more capability...

Anything more is out of scope of the game.

In fact I would love to have the ability to medevac units to save them, perhaps for later missions in a campaign for those that more units are not forthcoming and every man/unit counts...

That is precisely what Buddy Aid on red-base-casualties represents. It's somewhat abstract, but there you go. Developing the animations and AI behaviour for stretcher parties isn't worth the effort: the casualty model isn't precise enough.

AND also allow for reserve units to be brought in by helo or truck if a unit is pretty much combat ineffective due to casualties...

Yeah, cos reinforcing weakness is such a high priority on the higher-ups' list of places to send the reserves. Maybe one day there will be "trigger-based" reinforcements, but from previous statements by Steve on the matter, I'd be surprised.

I have a question.. when they say in the victory conditions that you get X number of points for keeping your casualties under 30%, does it count only the killed or does it include killed and wounded (total incapacitated soldiers). I ask this because in my last battle, I received the Bonus for keeping casualties under 30% but in the AAR, when I calculated the killed and wounded, it added up to 41% casualties by my calculations. Also, It would be logical to buddy aid to reduce the number of dead soldiers if only the dead is counted for the score. I'm a very heartless commander, I never deliberately move units to buddy aid severely wounded soldiers because i'm a methodical player and I would not have time to seize the objectives if I did that.. that's why my killed/wounded ratio is almost always equal. I'm a bastard  <_< If I do it, it's only to recover an important and scarce weapon, like an RPG launcher or squad machinegun. 

Edited by antaress73

It particularly does not "heal" any casualties and return them to action; such injuries as can be restored to combat function are represented by the yellow silhouette wounded that aren't considered casualties

Are you sure there isn't a 1/1000 chance or so that a red soldier will become yellow?  I thought I might have seen it once or twice and I thought some other people said they might have too.

LOVING THE GAME! THANKS BFC!

Are you sure there isn't a 1/1000 chance or so that a red soldier will become yellow?  I thought I might have seen it once or twice and I thought some other people said they might have too.

Nope, never happens.  Once a soldier is red, they are out of play.

My guess is that people have seen red soldiers disappear from the squad list when buddy aided, and, losing count, they assumed a soldier had gone from red back to OK.

Like supply it would be nice if this were updated to allow a bit more capability... In fact I would love to have the ability to medevac units to save them, perhaps for later missions in a campaign for those that more units are not forthcoming and every man/unit counts AND also allow for reserve units to be brought in by helo or truck if a unit is pretty much combat ineffective due to casualties...

The "red-base" casualties represent guys who are so badly wounded they are going to be out of the fight for an extended period of time, if not permanently. As in, they are gonna be shipped out to a field hospital and not a battalion aid station for a quick bandaging before returning to their unit.