DPICM

Echo

The US military is currently keeping to the spirit of recent international accords forbidding the use of cluster munitions. Basically the only treason why the didn't sign was they have the special case of the DMZ border with North Korea to contend with. Watching Israel sew some 2 million cluster bomb mines across southern Lebanese villages and farms back in 2006 soured everybody on the use of cluster munitions.

The US military is currently keeping to the spirit of recent international accords forbidding the use of cluster munitions. Basically the only treason why the didn't sign was they have the special case of the DMZ border with North Korea to contend with. Watching Israel sew some 2 million cluster bomb mines across southern Lebanese villages and farms back in 2006 soured everybody on the use of cluster munitions.

I don't think the US is complying with these international accords, they don't make much sense anyways. The UXO requirements are becoming more strict and the old bomblets don't meet those requirements, the game takes place in 2017 and the new requirement is set to take effect in 2018 so there is also that. 

DPICM would be highly effective in CMBS and it's a pity that it is not included, maybe M898 as well.

Edited by nsKb

The US Army is phasing out DPICM. The shelf life of its munition stockpile is expiring and they are being decommissioned. The Army is developing a replacement munition under the Alternative Warhead Program that is supposed to have a similar effect but without the unacceptable dud rate.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

Echo,

I believe you may find this thread I started on DPICM to be of great usefulness to you. In the embedded charts, it lays out what munitions to use on which targets, what DPICM does and over how big a zone, what its effects are and where the US is going regarding such weapons.

Spitzenhund,

The referenced graphic shows a radius of only 50 meters for 155 mm delivered DPICM. This is hardly a grid square obliterator--at battalion volley level!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Well thats a shame. I cant believe its not in the game. 

Cant properly simulate a modern armored war without it. The U.S. has it, and uses it currently. So do the Russians who have not signed the treaty.  And its a game changer. MUCH more so than precision GPS rounds. 

I recommend you fellas play some Steel Beast some time. It wil make a believer out of you. 

I am a believer.  Our political leadership is not.  The official US Military policy, from our CiC is that we will comply with the stipulations of the Ottawa treaty, and will phase out all stocks of munitions not in compliance.  The fact that this relegates us to fighting with our hands tied behind our backs against militaries which choose non-compliance is... regrettable.  While we are seeking alternative munitions which may be acceptable, they are quite likely to be cost-prohibitive in our current fiscal environment and will take a very long time to develop, field, develop doctrine and integrate into our tactical capabilities set.  2017 happens to fall fairly nicely into the seam between discarding DPICM and development of a replacement.  Not entirely certain why we didn't include CBMs for Russia though, as you are correct that they would dramatically enhance IDF lethality against armored vehicles.  However, Russian artillery doctrine still does not utilize the level of direct response to tactical targeting that we use, so is more abstracted in CM.  Perhaps we can adjust in a future patch/ module.  Worth continued discussion, as it would provide further balance to US direct fire superiority and protection.

The russians would not probably use it "on call" .. but following reconnaissance (they are very good at it) , they would use it on force concentrations. They used Iskander's with DCIPM in Georgia with great success. They would locate defensive positions and use MASS smerch fire on them using DCIPM... that would ruin your day even before making direct contact with russian forces.  

DPICM or would have a hard time against MBTs but against APCs and IFVs they would be effective.  If you model the M483a1 or M864, there is about a 2% dud rate for the dud munitions that you have to be careful of if you maneuver through the impact area if you simulated UXO.  I had some time as an FSO and FDO and we were told that HE/VT against armor in the hope to destroy optics or the barrel on an MBT when we made the fire support products.  

I also wish FO teams could process more than one mission, they are trained to process multiple missions.