Waiting for the hype...

• 2 weeks later...

My suspicion is that with Fortress Italy being sort of the neglected middle child we will be seeing a module/pack going to the end of the war but not until after the Bulge game comes out and we have Commonwealth and late war modules there. Just like the real thing, Northwest Europe gets all the attention after Overlord.

Someone once posted there was an American Infantry division that had unique small arms. There's also the US 10th Mountain division which probably had a unique TO&E, and the South Africans. I'm sure South Africans would object but you don't really have to have everything to finish the war. CMBN is still lacking US Rangers and the French. Of course the French were in Italy too. I'm still hoping for French in CMBN. Once they're there perhaps they can make it into CMFI. I'm thinking however the French in Italy had a lot more Colonial troops so perhaps there wouldn't be much carry over.

While we all like to joke about the French, after all they ARE French (I say that tongue in cheek, my heritage is almost half French - my mother even tried to include that heritage in my name, however she managed to spell and pronounce it wrong - stupid Americans.), the French forces actually did fight well given decent circumstances. 

The ferocity of the fight at Stonne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sedan_%281940%29

If I recall correctly, Rommel complemented the resistance he faced at Dinant.

In Italy the French forces distinguished themselves despite the inability of Clark to make the best use of those units capabilities.

From Wiki:

The 4th Tabor of Moroccan Goums fought in the Sicilian Campaign, landing at Licata on July 14, 1943, and was attached to the U.S. Seventh Army.[4][7] The Goumiers of the 4th Tabor were attached to the U.S. 1st Infantry Division on July 27, 1943 and were recorded in the U.S. 26th Infantry Regiment's log files for their courage. Upon their arrival many Italian soldiers surrendered en masse, while the Germans began staging major retreats away from known Goumiers presence.[8]

The Italian campaign of World War II is perhaps the most famous and most controversial in the history of the Goumiers. The 4th Group of Moroccan Tabors shipped out for Italy in November 1943, and was followed in January 1944 by the 3rd Group, and reinforced by the 1st Group in April 1944.[4]

In Italy, the Allies suffered a long stalemate at the German Gustav Line. In May 1944, three Goumier groupes, under the name Corps de Montagne, were the vanguard of the French Expeditionary Corps attack through the Aurunci Mountains during Operation Diadem, the fourth Battle of Monte Cassino. "Here the Goums more than proved their value as light, highly mobile mountain troops who could penetrate the most vertical terrain in fighting order and with a minimum of logistical requirements. Most military analysts consider the Goumiers' manoeuvre as the critical victory that finally opened the way to Rome."[1]

The Allied commander, U.S. General Mark Clark also paid tribute to the Goumiers and the Moroccan regulars of the Tirailleur units:

In spite of the stiffening enemy resistance, the 2nd Moroccan Division penetrated the Gustave [sic] Line in less than two day’s fighting. The next 48 hours on the French front were decisive. The knife-wielding Goumiers swarmed over the hills, particularly at night, and General Juin’s entire force showed an aggressiveness hour after hour that the Germans could not withstand. Cerasola, San Giorgio, Mt. D’Oro, Ausonia and Esperia were seized in one of the most brilliant and daring advances of the war in Italy... For this performance, which was to be a key to the success of the entire drive on Rome, I shall always be a grateful admirer of General Juin and his magnificent FEC.

During their fighting in the Italian Campaign, the Goumiers suffered 3,000 casualties, of which 600 were killed in action.[9]

Leclerc's Destruction of the 112th Pz Bde exacted some revenge for the defeats inflicted on French forces 4 years earlier.  His 2nd Armored was a highly regarded unit.  Highly regarded for French anyway. :D

Edited by sburke

speaking about morocco soldiers in italy, i'd add some flair to that.

first troops that liberated Bologna in central italy were Pollocks who were fighting alongside Indian Sikh formation under British command, of course. Now, if i want to see something in next CM set in Italy are these Sikh units with their amazing turbans.

As all this wasn't enough, guess who fought hard in mountains near Modena. Yep, you're right, your favourite Brazilian expeditionary forces. I want them as well in CM, naturally.