We-go or Real Time?

Spitzenhund

I'm curious as to how many of you are playing the game. In the WW2 titles there was not much reason to play it in real time as the combat was far slower. However in CMSF I found it impossible to play in We-go due to too much happening in a minute to the point that I would simply be watching my men get slaughtered. However this game is slightly larger scale than CMSF and with no insurgents appearing out of no where. I'm thinking of playing this game in We-go but i'm afraid of getting all my guys killed in CQB.

I prefer We-go.  I can play the turn back all I want and it also facilitates finding and taking screen shots.  I can also take my time replay the last turn and follow all the small dramas taking place across the map.  In real time I would probably have to mostly focus on the main effort / crisis and ignore the smaller dramas.  I also think We-go helps with studying and learning tactics which is one of the enjoyable parts of the Combat Mission experience for me.   

RT can be tough, especially considering the increased lethality of this conflict compared to previous CM iterations. It's very quick and it's possible to miss things if you're not super attentive - particularly due to the fact that there still isn't some kind of combat log or other indicator for losses and units taking fire apart from the flashing icons. However, I wouldn't ever consider playing WEGO, in fact, I would never have gotten into CMSF back in the day if it hadn't featured RT. Don't get me wrong, turn-based is fine, I love turn-based games in general, but I feel a game like CM needs the extra micromanagement - WEGO can't offer that. IMO the TacAI makes too many dumb and unrealistic decisions when units are under fire, which can be partially remedied by RT intervention, and, for me, the 1-minute intervals and associated planning requirements in general often lead to situations where troops die needlessly. But that's the beauty of CM - you can have it your own way.

Real Time for me.  The only time I play WEGO is playing someone multiplayer.

While I do miss the ability to play back a minute of combat from a variety of angles, I find one minute turns allows too much to happen that control is in the hands of the AI and while the AI is good, it can't handle all situations.

I remember well one game where a squad of infantry ran blindly into the area of artillery airburst.  The rounds started falling at about 10 seconds into the turn and I could do nothing but silently rage for the next 50 seconds while the pixeltruppen faithfully held to their orders and quick timed into the airburst and took a moment to rest and survey in it because it happened to be one of the waypoints.  With real time, I could immediately react and keep the squad out of the area by vectoring them to safety.

Edited by BlackMoria

We go, Iron.

Played the first scenario in real-time by accident because that is what it defaulted to and I didn't notice. I kid you not, at first I thought something was broken because the pause and fast forward buttons were gone :(,then I realised it was real-time. It was fun to play though but for bigger battles it would be a bit of a pause fest or lose track of stuff.

The movie is also too fun. I don't micromanage but I sometimes like watching the same thing from different angles. If real-time get some full playback in the future I would probably change.

I play Real Time on Iron. You can stop the game at any point to assess the situation and issue new orders. Stoppng every minute whether you need to or not irritates me alhough there are benefits to ths mode of play as others say. Realtime puts you more under pressure in a realistic way from the commander's perspective. On the other hand WEGO is a good learning tool.

Both for me.  I find that in larger battles I get lost in real time - forget to move units and get overwhelmed with too much happening at once.  When I first started playing CM I was getting my butt kicked far more often in RT than WEGO.  In RT it's more fun at times, micromanaging a tank formation as you can stop them or react quickly to threats.  WEGO you can't do that.  To be sure though, while you are micromanaging your tanks what else is being unwatched?

The bigger the mission the harder RT is to use.  If you use it, pause often - treat it like WEGO without the replay.  Still hard though to manage everything.