QB AI stupid pre-planned arty....

Echo

Its predictable, and total waste.  All the QB attack maps are designed to drop pre-planned arty on  the attacker. 

I'm the attacker. I wait 1 turn to see where the arty is going to fall. Then I just wait 5- 10 minutes for AI to dump all his arty, then attack 10 minutes late. 

The battle would be tougher if the AI didn't waste his whole load like this. Its just a map deign flaw. 

Does anyone know where the QB maps are located in the directory, I think I'd like to edit this out of them all. 

I am responsible for all that arty. It is set to suppress so the ai does have arty after the initial phase. As you pointed out the player need only wait to avoid being hit and then wait longer before attacking. Or take another route. I hope to see triggers in the future so that arty can fire on advancing targets. But until then that's the best I can do.

There is a tactical function of artillery fire called 'area denial'. You drop rounds onto an empty area to make sure it STAYs empty. It's not the most glamorous function of artillery but it has its utility. Awhile ago BFC added a new artillery option named 'harrass' that does just that. A slow drip-drip of artillery shells onto an area to dissuade the player from either occupying the spot or to keep him from poking his head up if he's already there. Opening AI barrages in QBs can either be considered 'decorative' to set the tone of the game or as 'area denial', an attempt to keep the player from racing down the main highway first turn.

A solution may be to give the Scenario Designer the ability to have the AI use delayed artillery strikes.  Of course this would have to be programmed by the developers and I have no idea how difficult this would be, however, it would avoid the problem of the QB Player always knowing when initial artillery strikes will occur.

If I remember correctly the Human Player can place delays on artillery missions.

Edited by Chops

A solution may be to give the Scenario Designer the ability to have the AI use delayed artillery strikes.  Of course this would have to be programmed by the developers and I have no idea how difficult this would be, however, it would avoid the problem of the QB Player always knowing when initial artillery strikes will occur.

If I remember correctly the Human Player can place delays on artillery missions.

You refer to scen design features not available in QB design.  The reason: A QB map designer has no arty to set the timer with. Just as he has no  units to draw specific pathing orders for.  

It would be better if AI defender just used arty on call.  Every round fired at start of game is generally wasted, and gives away presence of on-map units.  It doesn't even really channelize the player, as the targets tend to be hit with point missions and so only affect small areas.

My 2 rubles from nonCMBS games: The AI in a regular non-QB scenario can get artillery as a reinforcement if the scenario author wrote it that way and then when/if a spotter has LOS to targets, then the AI will call in a mission.

If you watch in scenario author mode you will see the green lines and I have seen the AI do line and area missions.

The QB maps that come with the game are of excellent quality and you can use them to create your own scenario,

Be sure to disable the stock AI plans as you write your own. 

The usual etiquette is to mention in your designer's notes that it was a stock scenario and every time it is downloaded or played, BFC sends the designer a shiny silver dollar.