Could this be the best yet?

Wodin

In addition, you might consider this: Back maybe 40 years ago the thinking was that if war did break out between NATO and WARPAC it would have to be decided one way or the other in the first 72 hours, because that is about as long as NATO's ammunition stocks would last at the expected rate of expenditure. If the issue was still undecided, there would then settle in a long pause while the warring countries got their factories producing again and their product to be transported to the war zone. BTW, I don't know what the expert thinking was on this matter, but it seems to me that WARPAC would enjoy some advantage in at least the transportation of fresh munitions since at least they would not be shipping across the Atlantic with all its hazards and delays.

Michael

I remember an article that said NATO underestimated the ammo that would be required and used the Israeli experiences where they discovered that actual ammo usage was 3 times higher than what they though was going to be used. I've also heard stories that the Russians intentionally made their mortars 82mm and 107mm so if they captured a NATO ammo dump they could use NATO 81mm and 106mm ammo, but not vice versa.

More moderns please BF. After adding NATO and insurgent/militia types etyc to BS perhaps

1 Combat Mission Fulda Gap 1988

2 Combat Mission Merkava 2018 This could be a general war in the Middle East, nt just Arab-Israeli

3 Combat Mission Arjun 2018 India and US versus China and Pakistan

4 Combat Mission Korea 2019 US and South Korea versus North Korea and China

I've also heard stories that the Russians intentionally made their mortars 82mm and 107mm so if they captured a NATO ammo dump they could use NATO 81mm and 106mm ammo, but not vice versa.

I have heard this one before. Both mortar calibers predate WW2, let alone NATO! The version I have heard is that they chose 82mm because Germans used 81mm mortars, but I really don't believe in that. Even if you captured your enemy's entire day's production of shells, which is unlikely, those would still not last for long, and they'd be awfully inaccurate and range would be shortened due to being of wrong caliber. So it's nothing to design a weapon caliber on. OTOH if your enemy overran your armies and captured a large number of your mortars, they would be able to fire their shells from the tubes. As happened in WW2 - Axis soldiers found out that they could use captured 82mm mortars against Soviets even if they had no 82mm shells. But due to the aforementioned inaccuracy it was best to use correct munitions or you would be only wasting shells and possibly hitting your own troops.

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/MORTARS5.htm

Ok, ok, sheesh!  You don't have to twist my arm so dang hard!  I'm buying the game as soon as I get home from work.

I didn't think I was going to be interested in modern warfare, but after reading this thread, I would buy a rock from you guys!

I can't wait to get home and give it a whirl.  It sure does sound like a heck of a game.  And the fact it has a bunch of scenarios, with hopefully a lot of smallish ones, is a big bonus.

Edited by FroBodine

Ah yes recon by fire that would work...I was just in the mindset that I don't want to anger the civilian population by randomly shooing up their beloved dwellings we may need their support or at least their grudging compliance in the future....

I know BF doesn't want to go there, but civilians wandering around would really all alot to the game.

I didn't get into SF that much but I thought there were times when you couldn't just go shooting up buildings in some battles. Does that exist in Black Sea?

When main gun rounds start going off almost any rational civilian is going to find the deepest available whole and stay in it.  And these little crossroads towns are pretty much flat when the elephants are done stomping around. Its a harsh business.

There was an old book written 1985?

It was an account of what might happen in a cold war fight back then.

The main aspect which is true today is ammo depletion which the book discussed. Supply was the biggest issue with both sides running out of ammo in 7-8 weeks with fighting on massive fronts.

With MGs firing lotza rounds and all high tech ammo even with mass production supply couldnt keep up with demand.

So this game shows easily the ammo depletion of units.

My guys burned through 00s of rounds suppressing very fast.

One feature of this game id like added is where you can auto supply your troops with ammo from all vehicles purchased.

Option max out ammo. They need more ammo lol

AT launchers can can be at players choice.

Just makes it easier to kick off :)

Still love the game thou

I seem to recall this.  Written by a UK AF General.  The 3rd World War.   

Additionally, Harold Coyle took that book and wrote a novel about a single tank battalions action in the fictional war.