Kieme's modding corner

Some last previews of the modular buildings mod.

I have found a solution for the flat roofs, which will be included in the mod (BFC decided to use only 1 flat roof type for the 8 buildings this time, for performance reasons).

The other roofs will come separately.

The only missing parts to finish the mod are the details (around Windows and doors), should be done today or Tomorrow.

t5jdbc.jpg

10r8k5v.jpg

10wpc1d.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

from a pre-made database

Absolutely the smartest and most important thing you can learn while modding. I can't count how many times I neglected to save templates thinking I'd never need them again. I learned that lesson well after redoing the CMBN portraits for like the third time and having to start completely from scratch each time. Now, I have templates with just heads, patches, you name it, so whenever I have to return to it I have a lot of the grunt work already complete. I won't make a mod now without having tons of templates saved for every little thing. It can save you tens upon tens of hours (as you know) having those files pre-made and ready to go...especially if you are updating something.

For anybody new to modding take this advice seriously, it will save you a lot of heartache.

BTW really nice work, Kieme.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Absolutely the smartest and most important thing you can learn while modding. I can't count how many times I neglected to save templates thinking I'd never need them again.

Mord.

Couldn't agree more Mord. Very good advice that greatly improves efficiency. I only wish I would have started saving templates, swatches, and organizing better any other references after making my first mod.

Another good piece of advice that can save lots of time depending on what you are doing is to use batch conversion commands when applicable. This can save lots of time. I'll be putting out a "right facing weapons" mod that better accommodates the text. After gathering all the weapon silhouettes using batch commands I converted all of them with just a few key strokes.

I'm downloading now Kieme. All looks very nice! I have some of your CMRT stuff too, so I am sure I will cherry pick to make a mix of what tiles I like best  with my current CMRT terrain mix + I have to get motivated to add a grid, and probably lower the resolution to eliminate terrain shimmer all together too. When it comes to terrain I go with whatever is the most distinct looking. I found that out long time ago the after I kept getting stuck in mud. This mod definitely looks the best I have seen in improving the separation between full and mini tiles for better draw distance look.

Edited by Vinnart

Thanks Mord and Vin, your words are much appreciated.

Vin, I also tried to fight the blurry distant textures (and tree differences) over and over again. Found a thing by chance: if you increase the resolution of the close texture (the one you see at closer distance, the "good" texture) you have to reduce the resolution (or dimensions) of the mini ground texture to reduce the visual difference.

For example: CMBS original terrain is 1024x1024 per tile, with the correspondent mini texture at 64x64 pixels. My higher resolution mod uses 2048x2048 closer textures, where the correspondent mini is sometimes a little 8x8 pixel image (!).

So I wonder this: considering that a large map, looked from far away, has more space covered by the "mini" textures than space covered by the large closer textures, is there really a big frame impact to the game engine -keeping in mind that there will be 8x8 pixel images instead of 64x64 at distace, and 2048x2048 at closer distance instead of 1024x1024?

I belive yes, there will still be an impact because the number of 8x8 Tiles needed to cover the 1024x1024 of a single closer tile is quite large.. (1.048.576 pixels), but, being of a smaller size it means that the far away mini squares will be many...

Not sure if all this profane and untechnical elaboration was clear...

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Thanks Mord and Vin, your words are much appreciated.

Vin, I also tried to fight the blurry distant textures (and tree differences) over and over again. Found a thing by chance: if you increase the resolution of the close texture (the one you see at closer distance, the "good" texture) you have to reduce the resolution (or dimensions) of the mini ground texture to reduce the visual difference.

For example: CMBS original terrain is 1024x1024 per tile, with the correspondent mini texture at 64x64 pixels. My higher resolution mod uses 2048x2048 closer textures, where the correspondent mini is sometimes a little 8x8 pixel image (!).

So I wonder this: considering that a large map, looked from far away, has more space covered by the "mini" textures than space covered by the large closer textures, is there really a big frame impact to the game engine -keeping in mind that there will be 8x8 pixel images instead of 64x64 at distace, and 2048x2048 at closer distance instead of 1024x1024?

I belive yes, there will still be an impact because the number of 8x8 Tiles needed to cover the 1024x1024 of a single closer tile is quite large.. (1.048.576 pixels), but, being of a smaller size it means that the far away mini squares will be many...

Not sure if all this profane and untechnical elaboration was clear...

Kieme, by this logic if I am reducing the resolution of the main tile, should I be raising the resolution of the mini tiles to improve the look of the separation?

With the lower rez tiles I use I get zero texture shimmer with it set to balance/improved. With your mod I seem to be getting better frame rates with just a little shimmer with texture set to balanced.

Edited by Vinnart

Vin, yes I belive you should do that, until a point of "balance" where I belive you might get the very same resolution of the main tile and mini tile (although I never experimented this, also because I belive the resolution of the main tile would be too low at that point to be acceptable ad medium distance).

I have to admit I never changed my setting while modding the ground textures, I kept the best possible ones Always. But you're right eveluating that possibility. I should really take a look at the terrain mod again to make a standard resolution version for those people who can't use top notch computers, keeping in mind I shall try changing the game options, in that case anyway the mini Tiles will need to be redone from scratch.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Kieme CMBS modular buildings (HD) mod

Download link:

https://app.box.com/s/lriagz6nrjlo1m6y2eke1u99f5jowptc

Changelog:

-new textures (HD) for all 8 modular buildings

-new doors and windows

-new details

-new flat roofs

-new floor texture

Note: this mod is in HD, that means that all the content textures are 2x the size of original game's ones. Please note that use of this mod will require more computer resources and might cause lower performances of the game with your system.

Preview: (more previews inside this forum thread, please check other pages):

immczq.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Kieme CMBS improved roads (HD) mod

Download link:

https://app.box.com/s/9b827rv64gjyugzt0yk9jx7f6gnhra04

Changelog:

-new paved road 1 (paved, good conditions, mild weathering, horizontal signals)

-new paved road 2 (paved, bad conditions, mild weathering, no horizontal signals)

-new railroad (concrete beams)

Note: this mod is in HD, but considering that the original textures were of a very low size, it should have little impact on FPS and game performance.

Note2: there are some alignment errors with the roads, which can be avoided by carefully placing the road sections in the editor (keep using only one tile direction NS, for example, for the entire road line without switching Tiles by 180°).

Note3: there are alignment errors in the more complex railroad Tiles, can't work them out more than this, so please take count of such errors if you decide to use the mod. Railroad has Always been a chimera for me, this is what I managed to achieve and I swear I won't try to mod it ever again!

Note4: the paved road with horizontal signals is a modified port from my older CMSF in HD mod.

Previews (more coming in another reply)

Vanilla:

11wdjlk.jpg

Modded:

2vubud4.jpg

Thanks Kieme, I'll play around with the gridded grass mod I have a bit. The tiles I have are 1024x1024 with the mini at 64x64. Some that are particularly shimmery like gravel I have at 512x512, but the mini is at 64x64. I will try messing with the minis to see if improves separation. It never occurred to me that the mini would have to be manipulated as the shimmer is only in the near larger tiles. What I have found is if I keep the models at best, and the texture at balanced/improved (depending on map) that seems to be my sweet spot for no shimmer and good FPS. On your mod the FPS were very good at my sweet spot settings, perhaps because your mini tiles are smaller?

If you want to do any variation for a future release I would add some optional grid version of some of the tiles like grass. I use an easy to see tan for dark tiles, dark olive/brown for light tiles 4x4 grid.

I belive a lot of players would enjoy the gridded terrain, but I'm a bit worried about the work necessary to make such a version. I'll consider that. Still think that BFC should add a hotkey to toggle a virtual grid on and off.

I would just do alternates of the grass terrain only like Aris did if you want without getting too involved. It is not as hard as you think, but remember to save a template if you want to work on it more in the future ;).  To make bring the tile into photoshop. Use the PS grid ruler to divide by drawing lines with line tool. Merge the lines,  save grid as an overlay, and copy paste it to other tiles if you want in the future. That's it.

If I make any grids of your tiles (only the large tile gets the grid) I'll send them to you.

Edited by Vinnart

Three previews of the upcoming add on for modular buildings. Ported from my old CMSF mod with little variation.

The first two buildings are dedicated to a modern city setting: offices, apartments, anything from a city centre to a new suburban environment; the other two buildings are of an industrial fashion, with the latter being just a little rework showing two roll up doors (but also new windows and door). 

These buildings will not change anything in the actual game but only give more options to completely new maps.

n485zr.jpg

2wdvb89.jpg

302qf5t.jpg

Good question,

the Windows in that case of the above screenshots are out of a wall with no Windows or doors from the game engine's point of view... so you player can see them, but for your units there'll be a wall.

That's why I went for this solution:

2j4cyae.jpg

If you want to use the facade efficiently, you can either add normal Windows, which will ruin a bit the facade effect but will give you all the standard functionality, or you can use such particular building with balconies and long Windows, which match the wall Windows and give you good functionality and visual effect.

So, to any scenario designer interested in using these buildings I'd suggest to use them only with all balconies on, and long Windows+1 door each floor.

Otherwise they can use the standard Windows, which are not the best looking solution, but it still doesn't make the building facade horrible.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)