Kieme's modding corner

Wow that is bright - and oddly dust free. Cool, add that to your mod when you get to the hummers.

Did the tanks and IFVs also use those or is it just the hummer drivers that are scared of the USAF? :) I guess it is easier to tell and M1 from the other guys tanks than it is to tell one truck form another from above.

I've put a VS-17 panel on top of my Stryker FSV to help CAS and CCA indentify which vehicle they are talking too. Also seen a VS-17 panel on the ramp of the PSG's Stryker to indentify it as the CASEVAC vehicle. We only used it when we wanted to mark specific vehicles as important... if every vehicle had it, then it wouldn't serve any purpose as being a unique identifier. That is just my experience, don't know how the armor guys roll. I don't think the worry anymore is about identifiying yourself to friendly aircraft, their optics are so good they can tell the difference visually.

Edited by SeinfeldRules

I don't think the worry anymore is about identifiying yourself to friendly aircraft, their optics are so good they can tell the difference visually.

I used to think that too.

Did the tanks and IFVs also use those or is it just the hummer drivers that are scared of the USAF?

Depends.  We started doing it because the Iraqis also had HMMWVs when I was in Iraq, so being the "five HMMWV element at the intersection of Jackson and Miami" or whatever was no longer a giveaway of which HMMWVs (and it didn't help some of ours had been painted up in Iraqi police colors as a sort of urban camouflage) I was referring to when talking to rotary wing.

VS-17 panels are more or less used how the unit sees fit.  They're less common on AFVs because at this point nearly all Bradley/Abrams have "CIP" (Combat Identification Panels) that are obvious under thermal (basically they adjust the emitted thermal signature, so if you're looking in white hot, they'll appear as black boxes on the outside of the tank).  Some units use them to mark "important" vehicles like the PSG's vehicle.  Other units specifically do not mark single vehicles with them for fear of giving some indication that one vehicle may be more important than the others, while others reserve it only as a signal (I only put the VS-17 out to indicate I have wounded on board/the vehicles is abandoned and doesn't need to be searched/whatever the SOP is for us).   

They're not uncommon on HMMWVs though so having them as something to add flavor to the HMMWVs isn't the worst idea.

I've put a VS-17 panel on top of my Stryker FSV to help CAS and CCA indentify which vehicle they are talking too. Also seen a VS-17 panel on the ramp of the PSG's Stryker to indentify it as the CASEVAC vehicle. We only used it when we wanted to mark specific vehicles as important... if every vehicle had it, then it wouldn't serve any purpose as being a unique identifier. That is just my experience, don't know how the armor guys roll. I don't think the worry anymore is about identifiying yourself to friendly aircraft, their optics are so good they can tell the difference visually.

Ah that makes sense.  Neat I never noticed them before - now I'm going to be watching for them.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if this would be deemed reasonable on the M1200. I have set up a second hull with this attached:

could be used as a variation to the original mod.

260zjas.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Firstly:

Great work.  I'm actually going to have to use Strykers for a change.  

Secondly:

Did you notice in your tank name file you've got "Dildo" in for both file #4 and #18 I believe?  No major nuisance, it just explained to me how I had a platoon of Dildos (I've since replaced them in my files, but for others if you too, have an excess of Dildos, that's where to find them)

Thanks Panzer,

that must have slipped, because I had two lists while doing the names, must have been put on both of them. I wondered if the names work even if one of the consecutive numbers is missing. So I wonder if you have 40 files, from 2 to 40, if removing number 10, for example, will make number 11 to 40 still to be used by the game.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Firstly:

Great work.  I'm actually going to have to use Strykers for a change.  

Secondly:

Did you notice in your tank name file you've got "Dildo" in for both file #4 and #18 I believe?  No major nuisance, it just explained to me how I had a platoon of Dildos (I've since replaced them in my files, but for others if you too, have an excess of Dildos, that's where to find them)

This whole "Dildo" thing is getting scary! :huh:

M1200 VS-17 signal panel option

If someone is interested in this little option... thanks to SeinfeldRules and panzersaurkrautwerfer for the idea.

it's the very same hull but with a VS-17 signal panel taped on the top.

Please note: all M1200 in game will have that taped on top.

preview:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117795-kiemes-modding-corner/?p=1587628

Download:

https://app.box.com/s/p85dsi2ch14t6sf2pi379lmzccm7u3p2

Installation:

unrar and just place it inside this folder:

"Kieme CMBS - vehicles - USA M1200"

overwrite the original file

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

M1200 VS-17 signal panel option

If someone is interested in this little option...

it's the very same hull but with a VS-17 signal panel taped on the top.

Please note: all M1200 in game will have that taped on top.

preview:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117795-kiemes-modding-corner/?p=1587628

Download:

https://app.box.com/s/p85dsi2ch14t6sf2pi379lmzccm7u3p2

Installation:

unrar and just place it inside this folder:

"Kieme CMBS - vehicles - USA M1200"

overwrite the original file

Could this be numbered in the usual way so that, say, there are 5 standard hulls and 1 with the signal panel?