Unofficial Screenshots & Videos Thread

agusto

53 minutes ago, kraze said:

Nice video of CMBS MP to demonstrate to people - but I have a question - why are you exposing commanders leading to their deaths? At that distance commander's station should be way more useful, or rather commander's own eyes are completely useless even with binoculars - it's 3km after all. I understand doing this in a WW2 setting where optics were less than stellar but in a modern tank they are superb, especially M1A2 SEP - and exposing with binos is only needed for close combat situational awareness, no? Plus a procedure is to button up during combat. Asking just to make sure I'm not missing something about CMBS mechanics.

Picture from Steel Beasts, but it works to illustrate:
XT0gYCl.jpg

Scanning with the CITV while fighting your tank in open-protected position is as easy as looking down at the big ol' display. Anyway, the Mk1 Eyeball + binoculars can be surprisingly effective for spotting things (especially when the gunner is already scanning the same direction with thermals, having a naked eye spotting too can help), and unbuttoning to scan is (AFAIK) standard procedure for western tankers in the attack (weather permitting - no unbuttoning when it's raining 15cm HE-F or Sarin) partially for this reason.

And, mind you, he did button up. As the guy on the opposite end of the beatdown in the video, I only saw one TC bite it while unbuttoned, and I didn't catch any other tanks unbuttoned after that.

I've spotted at least 5 vehicles with open hatches getting hit in the video resulting in commander's death (or injuring) - which seemed so off to me.

I also have SB Pro PE - and in it binoculars certainly help much less than even CITV at 3km+ not to mention how hazardous it is staying unbuttoned while going against a modern tank or an ATGM equipped BMP. Plus commander can use gunner's optics as well and 50x FLIR zoom even if digital - that's something binos can't touch. And in CMBS we are dealing with SEPv2 which supposedly has a bigger screen and better FLIR imaging.

And talking CMBS strictly - I've played both with commander unbuttoned and buttoned and there wasn't any notable (to me) difference in a long range spotting (close/mid range another story) except everybody surviving a hit or two. But you are saying there's a noticeable difference?

10 minutes ago, kraze said:

I've spotted at least 5 vehicles with open hatches getting hit in the video resulting in commander's death (or injuring) - which seemed so off to me.

I also have SB Pro PE - and in it binoculars certainly help much less than even CITV at 3km+ not to mention how hazardous it is staying unbuttoned while going against a modern tank or an ATGM equipped BMP. Plus commander can use gunner's optics as well and 50x FLIR zoom even if digital - that's something binos can't touch. And in CMBS we are dealing with SEPv2 which supposedly has a bigger screen and better FLIR imaging.

And talking CMBS strictly - I've played both with commander unbuttoned and buttoned and there wasn't any notable (to me) difference in a long range spotting (close/mid range another story) except everybody surviving a hit or two. But you are saying there's a noticeable difference?

I just rewatched the video quickly, and I counted three TCs who bit it while unbuttoned - a fourth got wounded/killed while buttoned up, and a fifth lost two crewmembers to a double tap from a Khrizantema tank destroyer while buttoned up (if I recall correctly - the video doesn't show if it's unbuttoned or not, and I can't pull the save file up to check anymore, so)

I was trying to say that even if you're scanning with binoculars/the naked eye while unbuttoned, it's not hard to look down at the CITV display while you're doing so, btw.

Anyhow, I can't say I've played enough to say if there's a noticeable difference and I'm not sure how exactly it works in CM, but I think that the TC going unbuttoned to scan with binos while the gunner scans with thermal optics could be helpful, regardless of the risk to TC's life and limb. I could be entirely off the mark though, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15 hours ago, kraze said:

Nice video of CMBS MP to demonstrate to people - but I have a question - why are you exposing commanders leading to their deaths? At that distance commander's station should be way more useful, or rather commander's own eyes are completely useless even with binoculars - it's 3km after all. I understand doing this in a WW2 setting where optics were less than stellar but in a modern tank they are superb, especially M1A2 SEP - and exposing with binos is only needed for close combat situational awareness, no? Plus a procedure is to button up during combat. Asking just to make sure I'm not missing something about CMBS mechanics.

Thanks for watching. I fight habitually unbuttoned in 4-crew tanks and 3-crew IFVs unless I'm doing a BP engagement or have already identified the enemy. Yes, I find it helps for spotting moving units and close-ins and improves things in general. Maybe its only a placebo in-game but we fight our tanks like that in reality; generally mirroring reality hasn't done me wrong yet in a CM match. 

@Chudacabra I actually made an attempt with one of the security teams to use a Javelin and knock out the ATGM but had trouble with targeting. For most of the map all the good fire positions are simply out of range or exposed enough that the enemy would probably get the Javelin teams. 

Power Hour is a fairly quick scenario relative to its size; being only forty-five minutes long. The need for a rapid exit overrides some of the more cautious tactics that would work in seize-type missions. 

16 hours ago, HerrTom said:

@George MC really crafted a gem with this mission. I always find myself coming back to it...

It's funny you say that.....I hated it to begin with (but I felt that way about CM:BS generally at the time), however it's since become one of my favourites too, I've had some epic fights with both sides, real tooth & nail stuff.  B)

On 10/15/2017 at 3:53 PM, Rinaldi said:

@Chudacabra I actually made an attempt with one of the security teams to use a Javelin and knock out the ATGM but had trouble with targeting. For most of the map all the good fire positions are simply out of range or exposed enough that the enemy would probably get the Javelin teams. 

Power Hour is a fairly quick scenario relative to its size; being only forty-five minutes long. The need for a rapid exit overrides some of the more cautious tactics that would work in seize-type missions. 

How do you think you would have handled things as the Russians? Massed Abrams' are a mighty foe.

20 hours ago, Chudacabra said:

How do you think you would have handled things as the Russians? Massed Abrams' are a mighty foe.

I'm currently playing a match as the REDFOR and it's too early to tell. My opponent is smashing the vehicle fighting positions with arty fire so it's looking grim; but he's barely advanced and has lost an Abrams and two Bradleys. The mission is very time sensitive so his pace may play to my advantage.

Myself and a couple of mates playtested V2 as the Russians; they won two major victories and one tactical. Those results would've survived the point adjustment. In my first Russian playtest I was able to counterattack my hapless opponent.

It's a pretty tough mission for both sides - but I've tried my best to compensate by putting realistic expectations. If the Russian player delays and attrits; he or she stands a good chance of winning. The idea is that the Federation is trying to establish depth. The NATO player has all the usual political constraints of affordable cost, to boot. Finally; as it's a breaching mission: a mobility kill is all REDFOR needs.

I scored my major victory through punishing tardy movement with precision artillery; an immobilized Bradley or Abrams can't complete the penetration after all.

31 minutes ago, Marwek77 aka Red Reporter said:

This i would like to know too...

A good question. See above.

My discovering of how to give ATGM units ammo caches have really changed the game. The US player must close and fast or suffer constant deterioration.

I know people have qualms with portrayal of one side or the other; but I've done my best to portray both sides as competently lead, motivated professionals. Which the US and "echelon A" Russian units definitely are!

12 hours ago, TJT said:

Looks neat! :)

Is the mod available somewhere?

I use part of vein's skin mod for RuAF and he doesn't allow free circulation of his stuff. If you get his mod from him I would be more than happy to send the 6Sh122 your way after that!