Unofficial Screenshots & Videos Thread

agusto

Maybe the smoke dischargers were early casualties to the hail of 30mm?

I think it used up all it's smoke grenades, it received a ton of laser warnings when I tried to get it in a good position earlier in the game, but the smoke dispensers might simply also have been taken out by the first volley. 

This makes sense and would explain why the Brad did not Pop smoke.  

The next part I'm almost afraid to bring up.  Might the Tac AI have some weird protocol where if a vehicle (specifically Bradley) has smoke dispensers the Tac AI needs to Pop smoke first and then reverse the vehicle?  If there is no smoke left to pop the vehicle will just sit?  I guess I need to do an experiment to see ..........  Or maybe somebody has seen the AI back a Brad out of danger when no smoke is left ........... I hope ....... :huh:        

Certainly possible. High motivation can have unexpected effects. I recall one Red on Red game I had Elite fanatic Panthers (I know silly, it was just a fun game). I had one targeting a building when an enemy Royal Tiger appeared. But my Fanatic crew remained true to my orders and died an heroic death following my orders with their last breath.

I am pretty sure a less motivated crew would have likely switched targets to protect themselves.

Certainly possible. High motivation can have unexpected effects. I recall one Red on Red game I had Elite fanatic Panthers (I know silly, it was just a fun game). I had one targeting a building when an enemy Royal Tiger appeared. But my Fanatic crew remained true to my orders and died an heroic death following my orders with their last breath.

I am pretty sure a less motivated crew would have likely switched targets to protect themselves.

'Tis indeed a great peril when using Fanatics...! They make great "sitting ducks" in testing scenarios though :)

Surely the 30mm fire would of caused the ERA to detonate....

Yeah, that thing should be more or less stripped of tiles I'd think.  

Is there a general rule for ERA tile detonation, or are they all set to such different tolerances and protective mechanisms of operation that there isnt a "If its above 50 cal, it'll pop a tile" rule or anything of that nature?  

Edited by Nerdwing

The Abrams tasked with hunting down the Tonguska fails to spot it and gets the same treatment as the Bradley  :mellow:

11922877_10207120337664051_1776349768712

Luckily the elusive Tonguska tries to turn and the movement is spotted by the Abrams crew, and finally the Tonguska goes down! Though the Abrams is still completely combat ineffective for the rest of the game, so I might have gotten my revenge but it's still a pyrrhic victory at best. 

11922860_10207120338624075_7158388004705

Edited by Andreas3

I always thought this referred to the firing solution aids. In this case the fire control computer.

From wiki

"In the event of a malfunction or damage to the primary sight system, the main and coaxial weapons can be manually aimed using a telescopic scope boresighted to the main gun known as the Gunner's Auxiliary Sight"

...So maybe with targeting down there would be difficutly aiming at moving targets at further distances, as andreas said the old fashion way using the auxillary site still functions, but at considerable penalty.

So "targeting" has nothing to with actual targeting then. Basically.

How the **** would I know? Im guessing here, maybe targeting works on two levels, one with spotting modifiers (representing spotting and targeting equipment) and one where the gunner and commander simply looks out through their respective periscopes with the same spotting values as a normal rifleman in the game? 

I think several people have posted sufficient evidence suggesting that US vehicles might have a slightly too big of a spotting advantage compared to their russian counterparts, but I seriously didnt consider this to be one of those cases, 400 meters really isnt that far away and the Tonguska began to move and thus exposed pretty much it's entire turret compared to just the top.

Edited by Andreas3

I think several people have posted sufficient evidence suggesting that US vehicles might have a slightly too big of a spotting advantage compared to their russian counterparts,

Hee, hee, don't be fooled by statements, opinions and complaints - those are not examples of evidence.  One would hope that those making them would find and present some evidence but unless I missed it I have not seen much at all.

but I seriously didnt consider this to be one of those cases, 400 meters really isnt that far away and the Tonguska began to move and thus exposed pretty much it's entire turret compared to just the top.

Indeed.  If the main gun is still green then they can fire.  They might not be able to share information about what they are shooting at with other tanks, or get ranging information and the commander may not be able to direct the gunner via the targeting computer but if the gunner can see it he can take some kind of shot.  At 400m it would be hard to miss

i actually see this all the time and its part of my advice list for red players. if the tunguska gets the drop on a bradley or abrams itll hit them so hard and so frequently more often than not they sit there having subsystems ripped apart just taking a pounding until saved by another blue vehicle(s), tunguska moves or runs outta ammo. its like the super high RoF stuns the crew into inaction. I have seen abrams pop smoke or reverse sometimes but Ive seen at least ten plus times a brad or abrams will sit and just get hammered for a few turns ..

i actually see this all the time and its part of my advice list for red players. if the tunguska gets the drop on a bradley or abrams itll hit them so hard and so frequently more often than not they sit there having subsystems ripped apart just taking a pounding until saved by another blue vehicle(s), tunguska moves or runs outta ammo. its like the super high RoF stuns the crew into inaction. I have seen abrams pop smoke or reverse sometimes but Ive seen at least ten plus times a brad or abrams will sit and just get hammered for a few turns ..

I used this to my advantage putting a tunguska and two T-90As behind a building. The M1s get pounded into inaction by the tunguska and killed by the T-90s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am closely alternating between two scenarios in Black Sea and Normandy.  It's a lot of fun observing the parallels, developments and differences among the modeled forces...

Below
Two simulated US mechanized infantry units make pushes in their respective eras. Carentan, June 1944, a US armored infantry platoon struggles forward in the face of determined local counterattacks and stubbornly contested terrain.  73 virtual years forward, Vlasivka, the armored infantry's evolutionary heirs are imbrued in their own unforgiving exchange fencing from village to village in the central Ukraine.

Systems and methodologies change - the nature of combat and the calculus of war does not. Across the mud and thickets of the peninsula, the '44 armored infantry of The Third Herd leverage the mobility and firepower of their combined arms in the opening moments of an assault. Channeling the lessons of their forebearers, the future-fictitious soldiers of the 2nd BCT, 1st AD bring their own corresponding multipliers to bear. All the while, across the digitized gulf of time are a tandem of motivated, deft adversaries determined to assert their own initiatives.

21826545066_9ddc09a587_o.png21664638580_bd78a6b148_o.png

Below
OPFOR light armored elements swing into spoiling actions. Employing autocannons and MG's, the forces of each period are capable of more than passive surveillance, they can fight for information and shape the battlefield in their own regard.

21852778345_859b9350dd_o.png

21230015424_33f6fd3f9b_o.png

Below
The advancement of infantry delivery systems on display. Each a role player at bussing squads to the FEBA or pushing further as a pivotal asset in applying fire and maneuver doctrine. Mobility. Survivability. Lethality.

21826623446_02bb4e4c54_o.png

21862292401_bfc4da0783_o.png

Below
Employing a range of magnified sights and sloped steel to advanced sensor packages and composites, generations of heavy armor make their presence felt shifting the battlefield balance in their corresponding ages.

21852781745_2bf4909d16_o.png

21840960442_3225d9fa4b_o.png

21665905149_f83e4ec700_o.png

21231701883_d948fa340a_o.png

Edited by Peter Panzer

Fire Support Company, 3rd Parachute Bn, 25th Brigade - not your typical Ukrainian formation, these men are professionals and form part of the only UA brigade capable of being air-dropped or parachuted into combat. They are, for now, doing neither. Fighting as light infantry bereft of even the slightest IFV support, and being forced to use old MT series guns as scratch artillery, the Paras find themselves fed into the line to stop a Mot-Rifles attack. The Battalion commander has placed the considerable AT assets, outdated though they are, into a clever crossfire.

The Russians, forced to come over a ridge time and again, can surely only watch in horror as they lose BTR after BTR. T90As eventually roll up, but they too are disabled by AT-4 fire. Exposed positions are hit by artillery, suspected positions are hit by smoke. Yet every time the Russians take to the ridge, they have missed or failed to adequately suppress at least one angle. The Russian attack is about to become a serious disaster.

0PbpHy0.jpgkuqym5k.jpg

From an ongoing PBEM.

Edited by Rinaldi

• 3 weeks later...

Recoilless rifles prove their use on the 2017 battlefield.

I am currently playing Lights, Camera & Action PBEM as the Ukrainians/Americans. I have an RPG-9 team in foxholes on a reverse slope to cover the river approach to the town.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-10-22%2018-06-51

First sighting of a BMP-3.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-10-22%2018-07-02

RPG-9 gets off one shot as a second BMP-3 appears. It doesn't appear to do much, but the first BMP-3 soon stops on the far bank.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-10-22%2018-07-07

The second BMP-3 is hit and stops in the water as a spotting contact for a third BMP-3 appears.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-10-22%2018-07-23

Kerblamo! The third BMP-3 explodes taking the second BMP-3 with it.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-10-22%2018-07-31

The first BMP-3 is hit on the far bank and explodes as the BMP-3s in the water become even more explosive.

Edited by Chudacabra