330 QB maps!

MikeyD

For those who haven't noticed, the CMBS QB map folder is full to overflowing. 330 maps, and some pretty spectacular looking maps too. Complete with multiple AI orders, triggers, the whole nine yards. All hail MarkEzra for his work assembling those. I just got done playing a QB on a huge map involving a dam on a river, an overpass highway, a huge railroad bridge and a rock quarry. Great fun to play.  :D

Edited by MikeyD

I have to say i am really impressed with the maps. I just took at look at some of them (going to the editor and checking out the new toys and maps is the first thing i do with every new CM title i get) and they are just awesome. One that i like a lot in particular is Huge Dam-Rough 316 Assault. It is just, wow. I ll have to play a QB on that map soon. I also love City On Hill 125 Assault. Tactically this oe seems to be a real challenge for an attacker - there is everything a defender could dream of.

How many large maps are there? 3K plus?

How many large maps are there? 3K plus?

There are a number of huge map sizes. The first name-Huge- in the new naming convention is a tip off. ;-) But what you are really asking is the 3 K size and above. The new QB Map naming convention allows the player to read the exact size of the map. I took a quick look for you. Around 4 or five that hit the 3 K plus number for each Battle category. My actual goal is to provide maps that any PC the meets game specs can run. Huge is problematic and players may need to reduce game settings.

There are also specific map names for both small and tiny game battles. I did not use specific names for Medium and Large size maps. Players should consider them as an average size map, capable of handling just about any force size reasonably well.

I'm still downloading the game at this moment but I would like to say thanks in advance for providing such a large number of maps.

I'm still downloading the game at this moment but I would like to say thanks in advance for providing such a large number of maps.

You are more than welcome. The opportunity to connect with the wargaming community through my work is a privilege.

post-36368-0-18296800-1422718412_thumb.j

The New QB Naming Convention will provide a good description of the type, size, and general characteristics of each map.

post-36368-0-08671500-1422718517_thumb.j

This Map Has 3 Objectives.  Players should use this information when considering the type and size of units for their battle.

Edited by MarkEzra

Two ideas came to me just before New Years.  The First was the naming convention.  I'd wrestled with this since CMSF.  Each new title trying something.  ehhh well at least they had names.  When the new naming convention hit me all I could say was "why the hell did that take so long to figure!"  So rather than continuing to beat on myself I started making the name changes.  That's when The new Objectives Name & Value convention came to me.  And I said to myself, "Man, you just may be on to something". 

There is a third change that I made. It's effects AI order pathing.  It is more complex and subject to more random placement and triggered/timed movement then past QB Games. But that's a story for another day

Edited by MarkEzra

Hi Mark,

Maybe you are following this thread and I hoped to squeeze in a related question.

We the players have for a while been given RezExplode and RezPack which I guess was a leap forward with BFC letting customers get under the hood to freely make mods.

<Was it Close Combat where a player came up with his own utility to open that modder-unfriendly publisher's files for modding...?>

Do you think we can we ever have a Map Editing Utility Program where we can edit to use maps across families?

Scipio did some recent work and Hex Edited with some success. Change 10 to 06 and etc etc.

I guess there would be side-effects from untrained use but I think giving that type utility to the community (with some caveats to the loss of family specific tile types) would be a great fountain of maps for all families.

Or maybe I don't see the issues....

I do not have CMBS but do appreciate the new naming convention. 

Thanks for all your hard work.

@kohlenklau:  Not my department...But:

A broad utility file to cross titles like CMBN, CMFI, CMBS is not just subject to terrain and weather files.  Bridges & Bldgs, and worse,  every type of doodad (Tele Poles, farm equip, ATM's), are unique to their parent game and most likely would CTD.