what ammo to "aquire"?

Magnum50

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you know what ammo to take with what AT system when you "acquire" weapon platforms from vehicles, and how much do you take? That's a big list that pops up when acquiring.

Thx.

In Shock Force the calibre was usually a good indicator of which weapon it was for. I am hoping the same is true of Black Sea

Javelin Launcher uses Javelin ATGMs, RPGs use RPG rockets and so on. Usually you dont have more than 1 AT system per vehicle than can be acquired, so just acquire all the rockets available + 1 launcher and you should be OK. Exceptions are the LAW and AT-4, they dont use ammo as they are one-shot weapons.

Edited by agusto

For the Ukrainians, lets say you have a mech squad in a BTR 4. You will see a load out like

RPG22 AT  X 4 ea

5.45mm   +++

7.62mm  +++

Pg-7vL 93mm Heat  X 5ea

The PKM machine gunner in the squad only has 300 rounds at best. I always grab at least an extra belt of 7.62, 250 rounds. You don't want him to run out.

The rest of the squad should be OK if fully equipped with 2000 rounds 5.45mm. If not then grab more.

The RPG-7 grenadier has 5 rounds, so grab all the extra RPG-7 93mm heat for him, likely 5 in the vehicle

The squad should already have an RPG22, restricted from taking more. But make sure all other teams like HQ, ATGM, MMG, snipers etc grab an RPG22 AT or two. Those are the tube shaped disposable rockets slung on their backs.

Edited by nik mond

nik mond,

Why would the Ukrainian squad be restricted to a single RPG-22? Is there an ammo shortage? I ask this because a Vietnam era Marine described his standard combat load then. It included a LAW (RPG-22 is same class of weapon, but with a bit of steroids added). Since it was a standard combat load, presumably the typical Marine was similarly equipped. 

MikeyD,

I hear you! I'm on a post Cold War learning curve which seems to be at -10 degrees, the way SBDs used to dive. I take some consolation, though, in not only knowing what an T-84B OPLOT looks like but having posted a groggy vid showing test shots against the Nozh-2(?) ERA modules.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

John its just trial and combination based on size of the squad and what they are carrying already. A 6 man mech squad with an RPG 7 and RPG 22 can acquire one more RPG 22 (or RPG 26) for a total of two. But a 7 man mountain squad can acquire 2 more RPG 22 for a total 3. And if its a recon squad that does not carry an RPG 7 then they can acquire the whole lot of RPG 22 rockets. (also vehicles could randomly sub an RPG 26 vice a 22 for its stock)

Here's an example of a Ukrainian 7 man Mountain squad mounted in a BMP 2. They are equipped already with an RPG 26 and RPG7 with 5 rounds. In this case the BMP 2 has the following available:

3 X RPG 26

1 X RPG 22

5 X Rpg7 Heat rounds

plus mucho 5.45 and 7.62 ammo

So you could acquire 2 more RPG 26 and all the RPG heat rounds.

A word of advice: too much gear WILL slow down your troops and/or tire them out quickly.

The Jav launcher INCLUDES a missile. If you have a two man AT team and give them the Jav (w/missile) and 3 other missiles, you may not be able to move them much faster than MOVE.

Unfortunately, you cannot "unladen" anyone. Once you've acquired that ammo, you're stuck with it. Your only option would be to burn it off via Target commands. (Savegame is your friend...)

Also, loading up with everything is probably not the best idea. For instance if you load up a US infantry squad with the Javelin launcher and all the missiles from their Bradley they will tire very quickly and splitting off the AT team might even mean that they can not even jog.

A word of advice: too much gear WILL slow down your troops and/or tire them out quickly.

The Jav launcher INCLUDES a missile. If you have a two man AT team and give them the Jav (w/missile) and 3 other missiles, you may not be able to move them much faster than MOVE.

Unfortunately, you cannot "unladen" anyone. Once you've acquired that ammo, you're stuck with it. Your only option would be to burn it off via Target commands.

This is one of the things I really enjoy about the CM games.  It gives you realistic tactical choices that you must make.  Do I take all the extra AT equipment and have my unit not as agile but better prepared for OpFor armor?  Or do I leave it in the vehicle and remain quick and agile but less prepared for OpFor armor? Firepower vs. mobility.  As your fire team leaders wait during the orders phase with that "what should we do?" look.  Cool game.        

Conversely if you're setting up an infantry strongpoint, carrying all 48 HEDP M320 rounds can have its uses.  

Same deal with dismounted MMG teams, they usually don't carry the sort of rounds for continued operations.  Easier to pull all the rounds upfront, than have to break contact for more bullets. Also balancing what AT systems you send with the infantry is a good idea.   Javelin is amazing, but it doesn't do much for clearing rooms.  Scooping up the AT4s in that case might be a better choice in case there's a BMP on the objective.  

Related to this as well, when AI troops disembark from vehicles, they grab a couple goodies on the way out the door too.

I learnt this the hard way. I knew there was a Russian sniper team in a building, but chose to drive a buttoned UkrainianBTR a good 50 yards away from the building ignoring this a non threat for the time being. Whoosh, the sniper team show themselves and fire a rocket, nailed my BTR. I proceeded to some battlefield forensics because snipers don't carry a rocket. Well turned out this AI team was delivered by a Tigr, they dismounted, entered the building and the Tigr drives away. They grabbed the rocket from the tigr.

This is one of the things I really enjoy about the CM games.  It gives you realistic tactical choices that you must make.  Do I take all the extra AT equipment and have my unit not as agile but better prepared for OpFor armor?  Or do I leave it in the vehicle and remain quick and agile but less prepared for OpFor armor? Firepower vs. mobility.  As your fire team leaders wait during the orders phase with that "what should we do?" look.  Cool game.

Same here. These games really do make you think, on so many levels.

Related to this as well, when AI troops disembark from vehicles, they grab a couple goodies on the way out the door too.

I learnt this the hard way. I knew there was a Russian sniper team in a building, but chose to drive a buttoned UkrainianBTR a good 50 yards away from the building ignoring this a non threat for the time being. Whoosh, the sniper team show themselves and fire a rocket, nailed my BTR. I proceeded to some battlefield forensics because snipers don't carry a rocket. Well turned out this AI team was delivered by a Tigr, they dismounted, entered the building and the Tigr drives away. They grabbed the rocket from the tigr.

Very interesting. Great stuff!

A good rule of thumb for the game is if it sounds like a bad idea in real life its probably a bad idea in the game too. Its probably not a good idea to max out the weight the soldiers are carrying in anticipation of a long dash across an open field. And if your men are hunkering down in a defensive position its probably not a good idea to leave valuable weapons sitting back in the track. I've often seen complaints about troops not picking up high value weapons during buddy aid. The usual culprit is the soldiers are already at their max carrying capacity.