down load speeds 100kb/s

Mastiff

But I must agree, this is not the time to do it. No matter how they act. Even if the comments are out of line.

If now isn't the time to keep "comments in line", I don't know when it is.

Yes , I am sure you will likely make sure not to do it this way again. But the fact is. It was released and no matter the logical reasons. Downloading the game for many has been a frustrating event. So let them vent.

We are on Page 8 so far, which is a clear indication that we DO allow people to vent. We also DO care that some people are frustrated. Interjecting a bit of perspective is actually a good thing, in my experience, because without it things can go downhill to the point where locking a thread is the only solution. Then there's complaints about censorship, not caring about customer opinions, etc. 16 years of doing this, we do have some experience with Human behavior :)

But I also can see that when the next game is ready, and its just before the week-end . BF will say screw it. Don't release the game til next week and we know its up and installed on all the servers in the cloud system (or whatever IT magic it takes to get it right) I sure know I don't understand it all and how it works.

That is definitely what I'm taking away from this problem. Withholding for everybody so a minority don't feel slighted is the only thing I can think of to address the problem.

Anyway fantastic product and worth every cent. ( and everyone will get it soon, so chill, its not like it will be out of style to play the thing a week from now)

That is the perspective we ask for.

Steve

Couldn't it be torrented like eSim does with Steel Beast Pro PE? Torrents have the advantage that the more people are downloading (and hence seeding) simultaneously, the faster it goes.

Long ago we used to do downloads off of one server. They were smaller and the number of people downloading at any one time wasn't huge. It worked for a while until the downloads got larger and more people were interested in using the option. So we got a better server. That soon became a problem so we added another server. Eventually that also became a problem. Now we are on a cloud, and a cloud theoretically has the bandwidth and redundancy to accept our customer load by having many computers all over the world hosing the files and responding to download spikes. Generally it works fine. There are two issues:

1. A connection is a chain of services and it is only as good as the strength of all links. Some people have rotten luck. Either they're at the end of a weak chain all the time or, more frequently, there's some sort of temporary issue at the time they're downloading. Only the major ones get reported in the news, but there are outages and glitches happening all the time.

2. Files need time to be moved around the cloud to be available in more places at more times concurrently. Otherwise it's little different than our old way of having one server getting maxed out.

No doubt both of these issues are at play right now. The only one we can control, a little bit, is the second one. And that is giving the file time to propagate around the cloud so that when a sudden rush of people reach out for it there's ample locations and bandwidth to handle the requests. There's still going to be people who fall into the 1st category, but there's nothing we can do about that.

Steve

Yeah, my speed was slow but OK. 600kb/s or so. I was getting nervous though looking at the huge file. Other small companies facing similar challenges split the files... if nothing else it means you don't lose everything when you're dropped, which also results in less complete restarts and thus less bandwidth usage overall.

Just a suggestion, especially since there already are multiple files inside the zip. But again, both Eagle Dynamics and eSim Games can have slow servers on occasion but they use torrents as an optional download method, which works great no matter how flooded their servers are.

Yes, there are several ways to make this process a lot less frustrating...

Anyway after a lot of intents I have been able to download it and the game is GREAT, now on the other side of the hill, we will forget, and forgive...., the downloading experience but wont forget the great playing experience!.

Have patience friends.

Yup, and that's something we will keep in mind next time. However, I know the numbers and, based on what happened, it's clear to me that the preorder people alone would have run into problems. So it's compounding, but not the cause.

A clarification (for the millionth time) is that it isn't our servers. It is the same server farm that provides downloads for Amazon and countless other companies. Therefore, we have no control over what goes on EXCEPT waiting for the image to be populated around the globe before allowing *anybody* to download.

Not what happened, obviously. Unless you think we are either moronic or uncaring.

And you are only one of the usual complainers. So it's a universe that is balanced.

Oddly enough, condescending attitudes are in the eye of the beholder. Take your post for example.

Steve

Hey Steve,

My post was not aimed at you so why do you feel the need to reply and belittle your paying customers? You know, the people who keep you in business. My post was a reply to Sburke's ill informed post. A lot of people had issues with how this turned out.

All you ever get on here is if you don't like it then go away. No one can complain or reply to the forum mouth pieces you seem to support so much. I was actually criticising another poster for their smug attitude.

Any complaints I have had are mainly aimed at the people on these forums who think your company can do no wrong and apparently you are now one of them. If you want to take people's money then you need to be prepared for criticism if they are unhappy.

It wasn't my fault this went so wrong yesterday.

I buy your games because I like them and like to support your company. Just check out my last order for this and other stuff. If you no longer want my business then please let me know.

From the email I received: ATTENTION! We are offering these early downloads exclusively to

pre-order customers as a reward for your trust and loyalty.

Obviously loyalty is a one way street in your eyes.

Perhaps you should include a no complaints clause in you licencing agreement.

Anyway, off to try out the game to see if it's as good as you think it is. ;)

"No plan survives contact with the next turn button"

Edited by joebloggs

Good lord what a pathetic ill informed rant.  I take away only one thing from this  Any idea to have this community more involved in the game development process is fundamentally flawed in that it does not take into account the immaturity and ignorance of this community for even trivial hiccups in process.

You really like to prove people right.

You really like to prove people right.

Not really, I find they tend to show their true colors all by themselves.

I do try and inject a little perspective, but sometimes folks get so wrapped up in their rant they can't see anything but their own rage. 

Franko,

Try a different browser. From the sounds of it there's something not going well with whatever you're using. I know that shouldn't be the case, but we have found this happens for specific people rather consistently.

The Internet is something we all take for granted as running perfectly for all people all the time in all situations. And when we are reminded that it is, like everything else, imperfect it's definitely frustrating. As someone who often has download speeds go from 1.5gbs to .3gbs because my only option is to use a shared bandwidth service, I know better than others how frustrating it is to have things messed up by something outside of my control. And no, I don't pay any less for my service each month if I've been getting .3 or 1.5 so I understand the value for money issue too.

Steve

New customer perspective:

Currently in the desert somewhere doing cool things, so not having the best of internet connections. So what is most frustrating is that the download doesn't seem to be resumable, even with a download manager. I left it on overnight last night only to find it had failed at some point. Started over again when I woke up in the early AM. Currently at 65% however the generators are swapped out daily causing a power loss to the wifi and I think that is coming up in about 30 minutes. So again I am probably not going ot make it and will have to start at 0 again.

What would help a lot:

- Split file option, maybe in 4 25% or 3 33% chunks.

- Torrent. A torrent would be really helpful with both speed and resumability. And I think this is the kind of community where people will actually also seed it and not just hit & run, giving good speed for everybody.

Other than that I am not one to go off on a rant and I think nobody should. I appreciate the developer being in the forums and the fact that they are not a huge operation and not everything is in their control.

However it is also easy for people who DO have a successful download to tell other people that they shouldnt be frustrated and are whining over nothing, before first mentioned people go back to enjoying the game that people with troubles are also eagerly wanting to play.

Hope that makes sense.

Either way I am going to try and be patient and hope I get a succesful download soon so I can join the ranks of Combat Mission players. Also hoping they aren't going to shut off my MAC address for downloading all these gigabytes.

guess what: Generator change happened early today, just as I was about to submit on this and had 66% complete. Starting over at 0% again... :(

Edited by Tomcat84

Vanitas - I don't think anyone can advise you.

There are a few here (in the wider scope of those that have downloaded the game) that are having a massively frustrating time in getting a download, but I suspect there are many, many more that have had no problems at all.

It took about 3 hrs for mine to download in the UK and that was at the peak of game release.

Chrome seems to be working well for some, and was what I used.

HTH

P

Failed again after about 2 gigabyte done :(

Now going to wait till tonight as I wont make it before next generator reset if I start now.

Steve, is there anything that can be done to maybe offer a torrent, FTP, or split files of 4 x 1.25 gigabyte or something? This is really frustrating :(

Have tried with both Firefox and Chrome, also with a download manager for Firefox but still could not resume it. Each time I have to start over at 0%.

Guess tonight I will try IE?

Failed again after about 2 gigabyte done :(

Now going to wait till tonight as I wont make it before next generator reset if I start now.

Steve, is there anything that can be done to maybe offer a torrent, FTP, or split files of 4 x 1.25 gigabyte or something? This is really frustrating :(

Have tried with both Firefox and Chrome, also with a download manager for Firefox but still could not resume it. Each time I have to start over at 0%.

Guess tonight I will try IE?

Not much help, but I do know that I've read NOT to use a download manager. I think one of your posts said that you were using one.

Otherwise, in your case, can you borrow an uninterruptable power supply from an equipment manager? It's rare, even in remote outposts, not to have permanent-on equipment somewhere. Drop an extension cord to it?