down load speeds 100kb/s

Mastiff

Russia. Those plans would take time to be realised of course, but fighting the digital inequality is a policy.

In theory this is policy here too. It is much talked about, from local level to the President. The problem always comes down to money and political clout. The people in the least populated areas tend to lack both. The good news is that it will eventually happen. When I first moved here from a large urban area there wasn't even cellphone service. Then there was, but it stunk. Then it improved but did not offer data access. Then the data access improved significantly to where it was useable for businesses. As I said I also do have access to broadband, though it is not of the best quality due to technology limitations and economy of scale.

Eventually the 1% of Americans who have no broadband options will have it. Over time those of us who have less limited options will have more. In fact, our local representative for State government is proposing legislation to fix a specific bottleneck for our area. Unlike Russia and many European governments, the US State governments have a lot of power and are directly answerable to the people they govern (like me!) and not the central government. Which isn't good sometimes, but overall I prefer having it this way.

Steve

In theory this is policy here too. It is much talked about, from local level to the President. The problem always comes down to money and political clout. The people in the least populated areas tend to lack both. The good news is that it will eventually happen. When I first moved here from a large urban area there wasn't even cellphone service. Then there was, but it stunk. Then it improved but did not offer data access. Then the data access improved significantly to where it was useable for businesses. As I said I also do have access to broadband, though it is not of the best quality due to technology limitations and economy of scale.

Eventually the 1% of Americans who have no broadband options will have it. Over time those of us who have less limited options will have more. In fact, our local representative for State government is proposing legislation to fix a specific bottleneck for our area. Unlike Russia and many European governments, the US State governments have a lot of power and are directly answerable to the people they govern (like me!) and not the central government. Which isn't good sometimes, but overall I prefer having it this way.

Steve

It will have to come.  Part of the issue is the telecom infrastructure.  AT&T sends more maintaining the digital/analog infrastructure than they do the new IP backbone.  The FCC last year announced the US is going to move off those as a matter of policy.  AT&T has a goal of moving 75% of their customers to all IP by 2020.  Most of your businesses still run on ISDN and other digital formats or analog.  That is a huge shift.