Online Waterloo Museum

sburke

sburke,

Thanks for posting this. I believe this Arthur Wellesley fellow might have a thing or two to say about goings on at Waterloo and before. Does he ever! If you haven't read David Hamilton-Williams's brilliant and radical Waterloo: New Perspectives: the Great Battle Reappraised, reviewed here, you are missing out. Bluntly put, it stands the Waterloo "reality" on its head, resulting in a vastly clearer picture of what really happened there at Waterloo. 

Regards,

John Kettler

If you haven't read David Hamilton-Williams's brilliant and radical Waterloo: New Perspectives: the Great Battle Reappraised, reviewed here, you are missing out. Bluntly put, it stands the Waterloo "reality" on its head, resulting in a vastly clearer picture of what really happened there at Waterloo.

I'm not sure, but it is possible that I read this in an early edition back around 19 years ago and was impressed by it. I don't recall any of the issues that the present reviewer complains of, certainly there was plenty of coverage of the Prussian forces, and I don't recall anything about the Bourbons, so I might have a different book in mind, but otherwise, the timing and content seem to fit.

Michael