An update on the update!

ChrisND

...and those of us who didn't want to waste a manual, a box, and Battlefront's time....get to wait for who knows how much longer because there's no preorder for digital.  How does this make sense again?  I'm ready to pay ahead of time, more even, but because I don't like to waste people's time and resources, I have to settle for second best?  Seems like a pretty shabby way to treat a customer who has spent upwards of $300 with Battlefront and bought multiple copies of the same game (in some cases because unlike Steam, Battlefront won't "store" your generic game file for you, that's on you.) Hope I get to download it today, or I'm not going to be very happy.  I still think this model is about 10 years behind the times.

I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation for why this is.   Would pure-digital preorders be more work to manage?  It seems like the opposite.  Ok, so pre-orders are to manage materials cost -- but what does that have to do with taking my money early and putting me in the "Don't need materials sent" column?

Time is money, and I have spent a lot of time (and my time is valuable these days) checking the site and boards for the latest vs. doing other things in my life.  I can't get a courtesy e-mail for download... because I don't want to do a preorder and throw away a box, a disc, and a manual my house doesn't need taking up space.  I don't even use the optical drive on my PC anymore -- that's 90s tech.  Everyone else is pure digital.

Edited by Capt. Toleran

I hope I could pre-order, but I dont really need +27 dollar mail order. I only need digital copy.

I was kinda hoping to play this weekend, but it seems we have to wait few days more... Bad thing is that I have free weekend today but dont have time to play next week. So for me (at least) another full week before getting this...

Edit: I also have all shock forces modules and almost all CM Normandy modules. Passed Red Thunder. Now it's time to get back.

Edited by De Savage

Ive been told off in another post for pulling the strings open, so now I gotta pull them shut...

As has been pointed out, you are merely fulfilling a traditional role. A little like dressing up as Santa for the kids clamoring for the presents at Christmas (a tradition in these parts at least). Just go with it and enjoy the game, you lucky bastard. And have a safe flight ;)

As has been pointed out, you are merely fulfilling a traditional role. A little like dressing up as Santa for the kids clamoring for the presents at Christmas (a tradition in these parts at least). Just go with it and enjoy the game, you lucky bastard. And have a safe flight ;)

I know I know. Im sitting in front of laptop watching the download completing, grinning from ear to ear anyway.

@ Trenchmouth - thats is too funny :-)

Edited by VasFURY

...Time is money, and I have spent a lot of time (and my time is valuable these days) checking the site and boards for the latest vs. doing other things in my life.

I couldn't agree More. I spent a great deal of my time involved with this title. I chose to do so. So that's on me. I did manage to not allow the game to intrude on my actual life. That's on me, too. Now the last couple of minutes of my very valuable time may not have been my wisest choice....but that's on me. Hmmmm. I sense a pattern here. Hope you all enjoy the game.

I couldn't agree More. I spent a great deal of my time involved with this title. I chose to do so. So that's on me. I did manage to not allow the game to intrude on my actual life. That's on me, too. Now the last couple of minutes of my very valuable time may not have been my wisest choice....but that's on me. Hmmmm. I sense a pattern here. Hope you all enjoy the game.

I sense sarcasm.  Next time you quote me, do me a favor and quote the rest of the passage, which is that with a pre-order and the "early preorder" email, none of this is necessary, I can go on and not have to check a website daily/hourly to see if the game is on sale yet.  But since I don't want to waste Battlefront's time and money, I'm being penalized under a business model that is somewhat antiquated.

Let me put it this way -- My wife pre-ordered "Downton Abbey" and she had an actual date to expect the game.  Amazon exceeded expectations by getting it to her a day early, and she never had to check a site after making her order, etc.

Battlefront announces, some time ago, that this game is coming out.  Like all consuming humans, we are interested in it and when we can buy it.  Some of us are pretty busy, so we would like to pre-order and have that taken care of, and get it earlier if possible, like what is happening this very second with pre-orders.  However, a subset of us don't want extra crap in our house or stuff mailed to us that we don't need.  But if we are in that subset, we don't get to preorder.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why others are having a hard time wrapping their heads around this.  Offer pure-digital preorders.  Seems very simple.  I can think of no other company or industry that operates like this with a product they want to sell.  That is the goal, correct?  Software sales to satisfied customers?  Or is it just power trips and jerking people around?  A lot of us are getting pretty old now for that.

I sense sarcasm.  Next time you quote me, do me a favor and quote the rest of the passage, which is that with a pre-order and the "early preorder" email, none of this is necessary, I can go on and not have to check a website daily/hourly to see if the game is on sale yet.  But since I don't want to waste Battlefront's time and money, I'm being penalized under a business model that is somewhat antiquated.

Let me put it this way -- My wife pre-ordered "Downton Abbey" and she had an actual date to expect the game.  Amazon exceeded expectations by getting it to her a day early, and she never had to check a site after making her order, etc.

Battlefront announces, some time ago, that this game is coming out.  Like all consuming humans, we are interested in it and when we can buy it.  Some of us are pretty busy, so we would like to pre-order and have that taken care of, and get it earlier if possible, like what is happening this very second with pre-orders.  However, a subset of us don't want extra crap in our house or stuff mailed to us that we don't need.  But if we are in that subset, we don't get to preorder.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why others are having a hard time wrapping their heads around this.  Offer pure-digital preorders.  Seems very simple.  I can think of no other company or industry that operates like this with a product they want to sell.  That is the goal, correct?  Software sales to satisfied customers?  Or is it just power trips and jerking people around?  A lot of us are getting pretty old now for that.

And we don't get why you are having a hard time wrapping your head around this. This is not a release of a video of downtown abbey preordering does not give you a date. There is absolutely no difference between an electronic preorder and ordering the day it is announced. Get over it. Pre orders are made for orders that require special effort printing and packaging. Electronic downloads require nothing so there is no pressing reason other than your angst to do so.

And we don't get why you are having a hard time wrapping your head around this. This is not a release of a video of downtown abbey preordering does not give you a date. There is absolutely no difference between an electronic preorder and ordering the day it is announced. Get over it. Pre orders are made for orders that require special effort printing and packaging. Electronic downloads require nothing so there is no pressing reason other than your angst to do so.

Your words -- the only point of the preorder is for materials estimates.  So why do they get to download early?  What does their download have to do with their preorder then?  Why can we not all download now, if it is indeed ready?  Even the playing field, the complaints on this issue stop.  But I'm done on this thread (I'm sure folks are happy), and for those with the personal comments, I guess I know who not to interact with here.  I find the image of all these middle age crisis men staring longingly at their "special" box copy pretty funny.  Almost like the first world version of Animism.