An update on the update!

ChrisND

For the love of god, no early access. This is one of the worst trends in games development : customers get to pay to beta test a game lol; I mean come on, how masochistic or impatient do you have to be to subscribe to that model? Besides there is a lot less incentive for the developers to actually finish the game so it takes twice as long to get a finished product and often games are stuck in limbo forever being never fully done. And when (if) the game is finally released, half the player base has already moved on to something else, having only experienced a buggy version with incomplete features.

I'll risk a minor offtopic to just say, I paid $7 for Kerbal Space Program when it first when from 100% free alpha to buy in at the ground floor.  I scoff at those who now are buying it "early access" on Steam.  Some of the best money I've ever spent, and I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth at this point - and it's not even out yet.  Yes some developers abuse early access, but not all.  And some developers break games completely without it, even some big ones (a la Rome 2 mentioned earlier I believe, as far as I know didn't have early access). Just saying.  My opinion on BFC doing early access - don't have one: their company, their call.   Paint not with a broad brush, lest you yourself be painted. Or something.  Now, back to rewatching Chris's vids and drooling on the keyboard impatiently.   

Edited by falcon2000

Early access is a very human thing to do, in that it is not evil or good by itself until the human factor enters the frame.

Which is to say some early access is brilliant and worth being along for the ride. Kerbal Space Program is a stellar example of good early access, even in it's early forms it was a blast, and it's just gotten better.  

On the other hand, some are very well intentioned, but just, you're preordering and recieving a really buddy tech demo in return.  Maia is a great example of that, good concept, some okay progress, but it's not really fun or good right now, much more of an interactive progress report than anything fun.

And then you have some sod off terrible games that are just making a cash grab on a million promises without any meaningful plan to follow up.

Yes, Chris's videos are super-cool. The last one I watch something unexpected (and horrific) happened onscreen and he finally let out an expletive. His ability up til then to NOT swear at the computer while playing seemed almost inhuman.  :D

I was watching that live on Twitch. It was indeed the exception, Chris is usually so polite.

Assetto Corsa and Door Kickers were extremely good, high-value early access games.  But if anyone who has dealt with Steve thinks he would respond well to demands for this that and the other in an early access version of CM is bonkers.  It's tough enough for Steve to put up with all the exacting grognards and their cheese-paring after they've paid for the full game; can you imagine what a riot there would be if the floodgates were opened even wider in an early access situation?

Remember the road ahead thread? I doubt it will be more than 4-5 months after the CMBS release until they got the next module for CMFI or BN ready. So whatever they are doing at BFC, they are doing something right if i can get my hands on a new game or module 2-3 times a year.

Ah well. Had hoped for an end of the week release but I guess Itll be next week now.  Just have to make do with what I got and get back to Normandy over the weekend :)

You never know, it could be tomorrow!

They want the game released as much as we want to play it.

Edited by Raptorx7

Yes, Chris's videos are super-cool. The last one I watch something unexpected (and horrific) happened onscreen and he finally let out an expletive. His ability up til then to NOT swear at the computer while playing seemed almost inhuman.  :D

Indeed, my favourite comment was, when an entire squad was torn up while going through a breach. IIRC one man survived. Chris, flatly states: "That was bloody, but we're making progress."

Game content has been locked down and sent to the programmers for wrapping into an installer, which is the file that you guys get when you download the game. Engine changes are done unless last minute critical problems are discovered. Starting today we are only concerned with testing the final product for any installation issues and other last minute critical problems. This is what we call Final Candidate.

Once the game has hit Final Candidate, it's ready for release as soon as we've determined that there are no installation problems. However, almost always there are some issues to sort out. Such is the nature of software. This last phase usually goes through a few iterations before it is ready. When the game is deemed ready for release, we then send it to the download servers and shortly afterwards it can be released for you guys to download. In other words, Final Candidate is the very last step before release.

How long does Final Candidate last? As long as it takes.  :D Seriously though, it can be very short if there are no problems, or take longer if we uncover problems at the end. It is not always easy to predict.

There will be a coded message on when to release the refresh monkeys. You will know it when you see it.  ;)

Is there a spanish copy of the game, in both platform, I mean in dvd and in digital?

Indeed, my favourite comment was, when an entire squad was torn up while going through a breach. IIRC one man survived. Chris, flatly states: "That was bloody, but we're making progress."

Phase line green was a terrible artillery fest' , Also when i play Shockforce my men are ofen being hit by friendlies rounds... just like this: (1h18mn55sec)

Edited by Nike Laos

Phase line green was a terrible artillery fest' , Also when i play Shockforce my men are ofen being hit by friendlies rounds... just like this: (1h18mn55sec)

Yeah, that friendly fire was just cringe-inducing. But very impressive. I recall holding my tongue (typing fingers) from expressing caution at the time, because it is surprising how often Chris' aggressive moves pay off. Not that time, though.

I can't recall, there weren't any preorders for CMBN vehicle pack, right?

There was, but it may have been unintentional on BFC's part. I ordered it back around the end of October but didn't receive it until some time around the middle of this month. There seemed to be some problem with producing the disk.

Michael