planned multiplayer options?

Will the TCP/IP multiplayer for CM be one person per side, or will it allow teams of people to go head to head? For instance, each team could have a captain, who can detatch control of individual squads to subordinates on his team, who then issue the orders to those squads.

And will every multiplayer game be 2-team, or will you forego the historical allies vs. axis setup to allow for more than 2 teams (like a 6-way free for all for instance)?

These features of teamplay and multiplay are some of the nicest multiplayer features of Bungie's Myth real time tactical (RTT) games. I know a number of people who would be *very* interested in CM if it allowed team-based multiplayer games, even if a gamefinding server (like Blizzard's battle.net or Bungie's bungie.net) weren't planned. That's why we have Hotline. :)

Bill

(For anyone on this board that also plays Myth/Myth II, i'm Patroclus of Clan Plaid: Archers)

Guest Big Time Software

Two player only. The technical and game design requirements for more than two players would require about another of development. Bungie had a 3 year head start on multi-multiplayer experience going into Myth 1, not to mention a room full of highly tallented and paid programmers! So if we get rich you'll probably see this sort of thing from us in 2-3 years smile.gif If we don't get rich, don't hold your breath...

Steve

Guest L Tankersley

Hi, Bill/Patroclus!

...I've been lurking here for quite some time now, and thought I'm come out of hiding just to say that I'm really looking forward to CM. I also enjoy reading the comments here; lots of good ideas and thoughts are being exchanged.

Here's hoping you guys get at least moderately rich. That ought to be enough, don't you think?

L. Tankersley

("Cap'n Carnage" on bungie.net)

I hope these guys get ab-so-lu-te-ly filthy rich so that they can hire 5000 programmers, hammer out CM 2 (and 3 and 4) within the next 2 years, offer it for $1.99 to the public and run 30 minutes commercials on TV... YEAH! smile.gif

Just out of curiousity. My friend and I usually play our games via e-mail, or direct dial up. You guys are not offerring the direct dial up connection which is too bad, but are offerring the TCP/IP connection. Questions:

1) When close combat initially only had a TCP/IP type connection there was a way to use it to direct dial via Windows 95 dial up connection. Will CM also allow this type of connection so that those of us that play in a local calling zone dont have to be burning up our internet hours.

2) Will you please reconsider the direct dial up connection, or maybe add it in a patch later?

3) It would be nice to have the flexibility to start a game say in play by e-mail mode and play for a few turns, then switch and play direct via say TCP/IP, then switch back in later turns to e-mail mode again. Might this be possible to incorporate?

Thanks

Mike D.

aka Mikester

Hi Mikester,

1) We *think* this is up to Win9x, not us. If we support TCP/IP we *think* it should work.

2) We will look at it again when we do the multiplayer coding. But I have to tell you, our experience with MS direct dial APIs has not been a happy one. Therefore I wouldn't hold out too much hope for it.

3) Not sure. In theory we are only sending save games back and forth, so if we support the protocal it should work. I can't make any absolute statements that you will be able to do this, but it is at least possible.

Steve