What is the most "gamey" sin you've ever comitted? We won't judge you. I promise.

BLSTK

I couldn't disagree more about "edge hugging is gamey"no matter what you have , what are you supposes to do?not go near the map edges in the name of realism to sacrifice your game plan ?the terrain, the map ,the situation and forces decide your plan of action, and if the map edge is part of that particular plan, then so be it.

I agree with this completely. It gets to be a bit puzzling if one forbids it. If one says you can't be within 10m of the edge, then if I'm at 10.5. am I not hugging the edge of the edge? And if no one can be at the edge then the 180 degree issue is still there, since the opponent should not be so close to the edge to expand that angle. 

I understand the way it can look, but I think it's something that one works within the limits of rather than has rules that actually themselves complicate things further. 

Well everyones entitled to their opinion. I dont see it as a problem when it happens sometimes but becomes obvious if an opponent consistently does it.

And so then would you consider it gamey to ride an edge to an enemy corner then make a 90° turn and use that back edge?

If your opponent consistently does that (edge hug) or anything, then he is predictable,and if you cant stop it then kinda shame on you, also there are risks and ways to defeat a consistent edge hugger .

My own view is that the entire map is in play. If there is good terrain or dead ground along the map edge I assume my opponent will use it. The map edge is not a win button. You can become trapped against it, especially if you are in a corner.

agreed, there are risks to hugging the edge,and also your opponent has the same edge "advantage" or disadavantage

My own view is that the entire map is in play. If there is good terrain or dead ground along the map edge I assume my opponent will use it. The map edge is not a win button. You can become trapped against it, especially if you are in a corner.

This. Skirting the map is a double edged sword. It sounds attractive to advance your force knowing that threats can't attack you from the flank, however you can't maneuver much along the edge. Which means any force you send down the map edge is following a hugely predictable path of movement and is possibly one Linear-Barrage away from "Cease Fire".  

This. Skirting the map is a double edged sword. It sounds attractive to advance your force knowing that threats can't attack you from the flank, however you can't maneuver much along the edge. Which means any force you send down the map edge is following a hugely predictable path of movement and is possibly one Linear-Barrage away from "Cease Fire".  

See the CMFB AAR battle for a good example of this.

When I got the monster gun into LoS, Bil had 4 armoured units trapped against the edge with an impassable forest behind them.