What is the most "gamey" sin you've ever comitted? We won't judge you. I promise.

BLSTK

Most ladders ive played on, house rule is no spotted artillery till turn 8 and no pre planned trps in meeting engagements.

Its on table direct mortar, tank, mg fire etc only and no planned missions into area you cannot see ie deployment.

Else it can turn into an artillery wins in a few turns game.

That's a pretty good rule. Our house rule within my own personal group of friends is on AttackvDefense missions only the attacker should get preplanned bombardments. 

Most ladders ive played on, house rule is no spotted artillery till turn 8 and no pre planned trps in meeting engagements.

Its on table direct mortar, tank, mg fire etc only and no planned missions into area you cannot see ie deployment.

Just a waste of time setting up amd playing it lol

Thats pretty gamey :)

Yeah, our only house-rule was no turn 1 or starting area bombardments and he'd claimed that light mortars were useless. This was real-time so it wasn't exactly like we'd wasted hours or days setting it up either.

edit: I just remembered one thing I did, that I didn't consider really gamey, but my opponent at the time did. QB, turn-based attack, I'm defending as Airborne, he's got with Waffen-SS of some flavor, I put a pretty robust minefield over/around one of the VLs and my foe ate a lot of casualties clearing an undefended VL. I think he lost the better part of a platoon and one of those recon car things. He was fairly irritated, but I didn't think it was especially gamey; like, if there are mines over the VL, odds are dude hasn't put anyone there, right?

Edited by Apocal

The assault boat was put by the opponent on a hill in his deployment area and everything shot at it and it was indestructible.

I never did it.

Only one opponent did and i had to keep units from shooting.

Was an issue noted on the forums going back to the original game.

I think they removed that unit.

Nothing wrong with using mines anyway you see fit.

Part of the game.

Give those sappers something to do.

Ive seen alot of units blasting away and a guy will surrender but die as they were in the process of shooting him when he put his hands up.

Nik Schissen - Dont shoot

However

He thought he washed for supper is the other translation- thats what the guy thought in Saving Private Ryvan who gunned down the german prisoners.

Most ladders ive played on, house rule is no spotted artillery till turn 8

Not even for the attacker in an attack scenario/QB? That takes away half the advantage of being the attacker. I have no problem with the attacker doing a pre planned arty strike, but the defender never should, and neither side should in a meeting engagement. That's pretty much my only "house rule".

There's a fault in the games coding???   :ph34r:  :o

Shertainly not! There may be lacunae in the game's systems which mean that not all warfighting actions are 9yet) intended to be simulated in perfect fidelity, which can mean a gamey bastidge can weasel a victory where they shouldn't've though.

...which can mean a gamey bastidge can weasel a victory where they shouldn't've though.

In which case if you go to Carlo's Bar & Grill and ask to speak to Luigi, he can arrange to have a couple of his friends drop by the weasel's house and have a "serious talk" with him. For a price, of course.

;)

Michael

Hmm... plotting some "exploratory" mortar fire, then zooming into the target area during playback to see if I hear any screams of wounded.

Edge hugging is "de rigeur" -- hey, if he doesn't cover his edges, is it my fault? No different than attacking the borders between upper level command structures, which was common.

Supposedly playing as the defender in a nighttime QB, stripping the line down to just MG42s and some supporting infantry to fill the gaps, and taking fully 1/3 of my force to launch an immediate attack on an extreme flank to try and turn my opponents attacking flank. It turned into a bloody free-for-all with units mixed up all over the map.

• 11 months later...

Just a waste of time setting up amd playing it lol

Thats pretty gamey :)

I used a truck as a recon scout once In CMBN.

Sadly no assault boats to put on hills like the original CM.

That was the worst thing you could do.

Never heard of that turn 8 rule, what ladders are you referring to?

That was test game in planned operation. I was defending by the river. There were 3 fords. I block all of them with lot of trucks and dismount drivers. Enemy vehicles couldn't achive my bank. My opponent was very surprised by this "tactic" and after that we established "No blocking" house rule. :)

That was test game in planned operation. I was defending by the river. There were 3 fords. I block all of them with lot of trucks and dismount drivers. Enemy vehicles couldn't achive my bank. My opponent was very surprised by this "tactic" and after that we established "No blocking" house rule. :)

what are you talking about?trucks block nothing

I often reload when playing solo in campaigns mostly when I do something due to laziness in not doing it the right way with complex ui commands and it turns out to be a bad move. My rational is in real life I wouldn't be lazy about protecting my own life. Sometime though I reload just because I got a bad break. I guess that makes me a Sands of Time CM player.

what are you talking about?trucks block nothing

Depends.  Trucks can sometimes, to some degree block a choke point.  I have used them, dismounted, in urban areas to block streets.  In some cases an OpFor tank will slow down and twist around a bit and then slowly drive through the truck (simulating pushing it out of the way I guess).  Other times the tank's AI will try to find a different street or alley without the player being able to intervene until the minute turn is completed.  Sometimes the tank will just stop in front of the truck.  It creates a dangerous situation for the tank and creates opportunities for zooks, schrecks, fausts and close assaults.   

Edit: Never tried this tactic at a ford but It would probably have similar results.      

Edited by MOS:96B2P

I think edge hugging is gamey especially if you have abrams or say KTs doing a thunder run. The map edge is an arbitrary line because the game cant model to infinity. The edge allows the oppo to know for a fact that 180° of his units fov is utterly invincible.  In real life the map wouldnt just simply 'end' there barring a few odd situations.

Therefore to me its gamey

I couldn't disagree more about "edge hugging is gamey"no matter what you have , what are you supposes to do?not go near the map edges in the name of realism to sacrifice your game plan ?the terrain, the map ,the situation and forces decide your plan of action, and if the map edge is part of that particular plan, then so be it.

I couldn't disagree more about "edge hugging is gamey"no matter what you have , what are you supposes to do?not go near the map edges in the name of realism to sacrifice your game plan ?the terrain, the map ,the situation and forces decide your plan of action, and if the map edge is part of that particular plan, then so be it.

I'm with weapom2010 here - if "edge-hugging" is considered gamey, then how close are you allowed to get ? Is the defender allowed to use that keyholed location only 2 AS from the edge ? I can use that covered approach gully, but where it zigzags to within 2-3 AS of the map edge, I must come out and cross open ground ? It gets silly the more you think about it.

A rule like that is difficult to quantify and leads to (many) sub-rules.

Plus - to me, wargames are like elaborate chess ( many more variables ). The map edge is just one more of those variables ( ok, in this case, they're a constant :rolleyes:) that the player needs to take into account.
Sure, 180
° may be safe, but an astute opponent will (should) have taken that into account.

Well everyones entitled to their opinion. I dont see it as a problem when it happens sometimes but becomes obvious if an opponent consistently does it.

And so then would you consider it gamey to ride an edge to an enemy corner then make a 90° turn and use that back edge?