Biltong's Campaign Rules. Could they be done with CM:BS?

Cpl Steiner

Hi All,

A very long time ago, I used a set of rules to run a "Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin" random-battle single-player campaign. Here is a link on the BFC forums to where the rules could once be downloaded from (although the links are now broken).

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/45284-biltongs-campaign-rules/

It was a great idea. You started with a certain force mix and used random tables to generate the parameters of your next battle. You then did a "Quick Battle" using those parameters and your force package, all the units of which you tracked out-of-game on a paper roster. In the Quick Battle you only selected the units you still had, using the force selection points option rather than having them generated. If you lost a unit, you could not use it in the next battle. If you did well in a battle a roll on a random table might grant you a new unit to add to your roster. The effects of victory and defeat in each battle acted as modifers to the roll for the next battle, so lose too many times and you might be facing a massive enemy assault, outnumbered and outgunned.

I had a lot of fun with these rules. It was almost like roleplaying but in a war setting.

Does anyone remember these rules? Do you think this could be done again for CM:BS?

Edited by Cpl Steiner

Hi All,

[snip]

Does anyone remember these rules? Do you think this could be done again for CM:BS?

Wotcha!

I wasn't aware of those things having existed, but I believe the tools exist to set up something like you have described. Really, all it needs is the QB force purchase screen, or even, since you're only cheating yourself if you bend the rules, the scenario editor. Or am I missing some subtlety?

Yeah I remember Biltong and his rules, and I even made a wodge of maps for the campaign pack as well.

Given my knowledge of BS I'd suggest they would work better with RT than BS as it is so darn lethal that one bad mission could see you with next to nothing left from the on map force.

Infantry only might work really well though.

As Womble states all you really need is for someone to come up with a decent set of core rules, in the main being how to assure a decent force pick for the AI and what the next battle will look like in terms of VP.

Just my 2p

P

I remember an excel spreadsheet based system for CMBO. Maybe JasonC created it? It was a lot of fun.

I added an element of FOW and my now ex-wife would go roll a die and adjust the QB drop-down menus for the enemy force type/attributes/characteristics. And now I also fondly remember that I think CMAK had that FOW feature where it would show you enemy troops dressed as type X when they were really type B? Until you got a good visual. Same with massive tigers that turned into smaller recon tanks...

nostalgia.

Edited by kohlenklau

I think in the early days of CMx2 (or x3?) when you could not view what casualties each unit had caused, it was impossible to award units an increase in experience, but since we can now view every units' achievements in battle I don't think there is much to hold back such as set of rules. The fun of the Biltong rules was how units would have their experience affected by preceding battles. Knock out an enemy tank and that Green unit of yours could raise to Regular, but if it suffered a lot of casualties and became rattled it could drop down to Green again. I don't have a copy of the original rules but that's how it worked as far as I recall. In the new engine you would track experience and morale separately, so you could have units increase in experience but drop in morale depending on various effects.

What would really make this idea work would be if there was a way to do a campaign so that it used the "core force" of the campaign builder but random battles rather than a scripted sequence of them, then you wouldn't even need to do much book-keeping. Is there a way to import a core force file into a Quick Battle? I don't think there is from memory.

I remember an excel spreadsheet based system for CMBO. Maybe JasonC created it? It was a lot of fun.

I added an element of FOW and my now ex-wife would go roll a die and adjust the QB drop-down menus for the enemy force type/attributes/characteristics. And now I also fondly remember that I think CMAK had that FOW feature where it would show you enemy troops dressed as type X when they were really type B? Until you got a good visual. Same with massive tigers that turned into smaller recon tanks...

nostalgia.

RobO's Quick Campaign Generator Excel spreadsheet.  It was for CMBB and CMAK.  I mentioned this in another thread several months ago, here is the link I posted: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/115644-combat-mission-commander-campaign-tool/?p=1542582

All of it is still downloadable at CMods and i think would be a great tool if the random maps could be figured out (at least for CMRT until North Africa is created for CMx2).

Edited by Blazing 88's

Is there a way to import a core force file into a Quick Battle? I don't think there is from memory.

No there is not. However if you don't use the QB system and instead create custom scenarios - by having an umpire form the battle for you or having extreme trust you could use the core unit concept then.

I just played around with doing it in CMRT. You can create a scenario file with the units you want it it. Give them custom names, stats etc. Then you can load those units into any other scenario or map by using the "Import Campaign units" option when selecting Units in the scenario editor.