CMBO vs CMBB and CMAK

What I like about huge scenarios is that after the first setup and the initial 10 moves or so the game usually evolves into several small or medium battles all going on at the same time and the outcome of each effects the final loss or victory and you can switch troops and equipment back and forth between "sub battles" as reinforcements. I like the 120turn plus battles. It allows for more strategy than the small scenarios. poppys

I think I'm more of a tactics person. I am pretty good with company sized infantry attacks, ok with small infantry-tank teams, but battalions begin to stretch my capabilities. It is possibly due to my youth, I might grow into the larger scenarios, who knows. However, it is a good example of why 18 year olds never get to command people...we're bad at it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Me and my mates play a lot of CM and we all own all three titles and i have to say we mostly play CMBB and CMBO.

CMBB is great because of the diversity of the involved troops and CMBO is very exciting because of the hundreds of good scenarios that simply aren´t available for CMAK and CMBB.

Originally posted by Snark:

If CMBO is so popular, why arn't more people playing it online?

Perhaps they are and just not going to the BB to find new opponents?

Did enjoy all of the comments, thanks.

Lots of people still play CMBO out in the on-line clubs such as the Blitz, Band Of Brothers and Warfare HQ.

Myself although I have the other games CMBO inspite of the drawbacks still does it for me over the other 2.

Just finished running a knockout tournament a couple of months ago which had 36 players in it, an Armoured Joust between 4 clubs with 84 players last month, and I have a 20 person campaign ongoing at the moment.

CMBO will not be dying anytime in the near future I think. :)

Strength and honour !

Vulture

Originally posted by throwdjohn:

However, it is a good example of why 18 year olds never get to command people...we're bad at it!

Comrade! And here I thought that I was the only teenager in the entire Combat Mission community. Glad to see that I'm not alone.

I rather like the battalion level assaults, for much the same reasons as others have mentioned here. In fact my favorite scenario is Our Backs to the Volga and I love it specifically for its epic size. And to answer the thread title, CMBB is my favorite of the three.

I've been playing the CM series since fall of 99. I turn 20 in March. I'd have to agree with djohn on the size issue. I do see the point of large battles spreading into several smaller battles, but its all just waaaay too tiring for me to do. It just grows old after awhile and using mass orders makes for ****ty positions for my units (especially infantry)

I second the request for good company sized scenarios. There are a good amount for CMBO, but I really would like some company sized or smaller scenarios/ops for CMBB. Anyone..?

However, it is a good example of why 18 year olds never get to command people...we're bad at it!
Good heavens!! Humility in the "younger generation"! This is really refreshing and I'm impressed :cool: . In all seriousness, the only reason an 18 year old might be "bad" at it is an experience thing. You've not had enough chance to watch the older guys make some really dumb mistakes yet. Once you've been around for a while, you learn what works and what doesn't, by the mistakes of others. In any event, given your attitude, I think you'll find yourself ahead of the curve and are probably better than you think ;) .

For me? I love CMBO. I lost my disk a while back, and have been missing it to the point where I've re-ordered it. I've been playing CMBB for a bit now and I too like the greater versatility (and probably greater reality) of it, and I'm certainly looking forward to getting CMAK when it arrives in my mailbox soon (also ordered), but make no mistake - I really enjoyed CMBO. I've yet to get into any human-to-human encounters yet, but as soon as I get back up to speed again I plan to start (and probably get thrashed in the process - and I'm NOT young!! :D ). So, count me in for CMBO. Nostalgia? Maybe some, but it's still a damn good game/sim!

Glenn

Originally posted by Canuckgd:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />However, it is a good example of why 18 year olds never get to command people...we're bad at it!

Good heavens!! Humility in the "younger generation"! This is really refreshing and I'm impressed :cool: . In all seriousness, the only reason an 18 year old might be "bad" at it is an experience thing. You've not had enough chance to watch the older guys make some really dumb mistakes yet. Once you've been around for a while, you learn what works and what doesn't, by the mistakes of others. In any event, given your attitude, I think you'll find yourself ahead of the curve and are probably better than you think ;) .Glenn </font>

COOL! I've REALLY got to get into the human vs human bit. That's something I've done very seldom, and the result will likely be a bloodbath for a while at least. Having said that, I'll take my lumps in favour of learning.

I was hoping my CMBO would have arrived in the mail today, but no such luck. Hopefully tomorrow. I'm also waiting on CMAK, so lots to look forward to, but getting impatient smile.gif .

OK if I contact you once the game(s) come in? I have a feeling you'll teach me a thing or three, and that would be just fine by me.

Glenn

Originally posted by Tim The Enchanter:

Berli, CMBB, and CMAK had some very noticable improvements to armor as well.

Try knocking out a Tiger with a Greyhound outside of the realm of CMBO.

Stugs are more formidable as well rather than the wimbly Wespe clones they came off as in CMBO.

Funny you should mention the Tiger .vs Greyhound, as that happened yesterday in a scenario I made and then played around with. I couldn't believe my eyes...I had to play the turn over and over again lol. Now, it was a side shot, but still. Don't get me wrong, knocking out the Tiger made the scenario winnable, but I couldn't help but think the whole episode a little unrealistic.

I just ordered CMAK this week, so I haven't played it yet, but I thoroughly enjoy both of the first 2. I play CMBO more, don't really know why, but it does seem a little "simpler" to me, I like the terrain a little more (with the right mods), and I guess I have more emotional investment in CMBO since my dad went into Normandy on D-Day plus 7, through the Bulge, and into Austria, pretty much the same path as in Band of Brothers. It's cool playing these scenarios with that in mind. I don't find CMBB any more difficult in the areas that some folks mentioned above, I just happen to like CMBO more...it's personal, and YMMV as they say.

It's fun to argue among ourselves as to which game is "better", but it's just one man's opinion versus another. We should be thankful, though, that ALL of these great games exist, and that we can mentally stimulate ourselves as to which is the best.

I installed the PC gamer demo way back when (forCMBB)and read Andy Mahood's rave review. with no manual or clue how to play I farted around a bit but never got into it. I knew it was something special but not having internet back then I accessed no info on the game. I kinda forgot about it then saw a copy at a Future Shop outlet and picked it up. After a few false starts I finally determined that I really had to learn this game. I have to say it is simply the best game I have ever played! I just picked up a copy of CMBO before Christmas and finally installed it but I hav'nt started playing it yet. I found another copy in a bargain bin for $10.00 Can.(thats about $2.37 US) with the intention of giving it to a friend. (I have to pick one who will actually want to spend the time to learn the game)

Man, just what is my point? well it boils down to:

should I pick up a 3rd $10.00 copy of CMBO and give a game to all my friends....?

*-)

or should I just stick to the eastern front cause I love it and I'm lazy?

(there really is another brand new $10.00 copy with manual and pretty box waiting for me/us. My original used purchase cost $30.00 with bent, broken spine, pizza stained manual but I digress.)

Anyway ,I have never played person to person mostly because with computers it takes me an insanely huge amount of time to learn anything new ("new", that is, with computers, like all that E-mail stuff and setting up files and whatnot plus the "pride" and "shame" bits but the 1st step to solution is admitting a problem -thanks BFC for providing a safe and happy place to state my true PC inadequacies but I digress AGAIN!) plus my games usually play at about 5 - 6 turns per hour!(is this normal?)

What I mean to say is;

Should I dive into CMBO? I mean, they've got CANADIANS! Even Canadians don't make games about Canadians! And South. Albertans too! C'MON! ( any "Princess Pats" scen. out there? How'z aboot the "Devils Brigade"? O manO manO man)

Should I start playing Player Vs. Player? Remember, this will be scary for both of us.

Does it really take 3 nights of downloading and installing to get a few mods just to troll around the Steepe looking for an armor marking or an insignia on my dead platoon HQ? Ive lost sleep man! Plus I didn't back ANY files up and have no idea how to "Mod Manage" and I think I have invented a new one for the shrinks.(... just this one more honey...)

Is anyone interested in BOX copies of CMBO? Brand new mint condition *Special Edition*

Quantity - 2

Full manual included - $20.00 Can.

Vintage pre owned CMBO complete with *Authentic Veteran Battle Stained Manual*

Quantity - 1

$60.00 Can.

Anyone?

Did I mention that this is the best game I've ever played?

So I gush a little, I'm sure everyone has at least once (or really wants to... or have their cup runneth over to eyes glazed family members, or friends, or pets 'n such like)

A vibrant community of true believers helps too.

*-)

Hmmm falcon, to me two companies with the armor like Mike said is about it. MAYBE my mind can handle the complicated movement commands, but i don't trust it. I get bored easily (yet another problem with youth, GOD DAMN US), even on the small maps. And as to learning new tactics by playin humans, it'll have to wait. My PC is what runs the CM series (it has no internet) and my mac is for internet. it is a torture i wouldn't inflict on anyone. Luckily im starting college next year so i will be buying a new comp. Speaking of which, I have a problem. I really want my new comp to be an apple laptop, but will they still be making all 3 games for mac at that time (august/sept of this year)? if not, i'll get a windows notebook. Yes i'm that committed to the game, no I haven't thought about how having them will screw me in college( in many ways)

Luckily im starting college next year so i will be buying a new comp. Speaking of which, I have a problem. I really want my new comp to be an apple laptop, but will they still be making all 3 games for mac at that time (august/sept of this year)?

Presumably the existing games will remain on sale for quite some time yet. And we are promised that the next generation will run under OS X, so that should ease up a lot of problems we Mac players have had.

smile.gif

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I think CMBO is the best , easiest to run , simple to follow and absorbing to play, the next generation will not run on a lot of our computor`s as i expect the spec`s will take them out of the lower end comp`s, shame as most cant buy a new comp to suit a game, i can run all cmbo , most cmbb and most cmak

I think I'm more of a tactics person. I am pretty good with company sized infantry attacks, ok with small infantry-tank teams, but battalions begin to stretch my capabilities. It is possibly due to my youth, I might grow into the larger scenarios, who knows. However, it is a good example of why 18 year olds never get to command people...we're bad at it!

Regardless of age, most people's minds are only big enough to accomodate 1..3 groups of 1..3 things at once (what used to be known as "The magic number 7 plus or minus 2"). If the things you are trying to keep in your mind at once are infantry sections (US squads), then company is about as much as a human brain can cope with. If you treat platoons as the smallest chunk you are going to deal with, then with the same mental capacity you can handle a battalion.

There is a good reason why military organisations usually follow "the rule of three", and commanders are only expected to understand the battle two levels down.

All the best,

John.

yeah that's the only thing that irritates me about the game. if i am commanding two companies i give orders to EVERY sqaud and zook. IRL the CO would just give basic orders (move thru the village, get to the top of that hill, take those woods) as opposed to move this squad to that dip, move that mg to get covering fire over there, its so hard, but i love trying it