Military service of soldiers.

I've created this topic for members who have served in the army to tell their experience, and also ask question for the members who have served which would help give information.

I have served in the VDV 2008-2011, I've been deployed to different bases, And even seen action in Caucasus and South Osettia. I got training in Tula base, I was not deployed during the Georgian conflict but after it. In 2009 in South Ossetia I was deployed to a check point. And one day during the morning time I was on guard duty and machinegun fire ripped threw the block post and landed near me and then other firearms shot at us,  The whole squad got ready and we were in a engagement I was shot at somepoint and did not realize it until afterwards, We shot into the forest killing most of them and they made their biggest mistake the group engaging at us brought in a van to escape which my unit and I destroyed.  There were survivors which a special forces detachment found and killed im not sure if prisoners were taken. 

I've wrote this because I thought it would be a lot of information, If there is any questions about my service or what ever feel free to ask.

What do you mean I replaced my calculator? это шутку да?

You said that you have a weak computer, and played mostly on the console. During the Stream "CMBS" we'll chat, I was under the nickname "visovatov." I myself am in the military since 2008.

Ты говорил что у тебя комп слабый , и играешь в основном на приставке . Во время стрима "CMBS" мы с тобой общались в чате , я был под ником "visovatov" . Я сам на военной службе с 2008 года .

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/116715-cm-black-sea-–-beta-battle-report-russian-side/?p=1563812

Edited by HUSKER2142

I was an Armored Cavalry Platoon leader, Troop XO, for two deployments to Iraq, and then I was a tank company commander in Korea.  In between all of those jobs I was also a variety of plans and operations type jobs.  I'm on my way out because I got to the point where I could stay or go, and I decided it was time to go.  Was fun while it lasted, but never really considered it as a career I'd do longer than I did.  

I'm about to hit my 14th year of active duty in the US Air Force. Currently I'm assigned to USCYBERCOM.

I deployed to Sather AB, Baghdad back in 2008. I never left the Victory Base Complex so I was pretty safe. We'd get rocket/mortar attacks sometimes but they mostly fell on the Army side of things when they did hit.

The first attack came about a week or so after I got there. I was sleeping in my trailer when the sirens started going off. I rolled out of bed and got underneath it. Then I realized how dang cold it was in my room. I quickly gave it some thought and figured that all the big cement slabs around my trailer would keep me protected from a anything short of a direct hit and my bed wasn't gonna save me if a rocket came through my ceiling so I quickly got back under the covers.

My biggest "OH CRAP!" moment came near the end of my deployment. I was sleeping out in a friend's trailer near the end of the runway (He was an Airfield Systems guy) and suddenly there was this huge BOOM! that sounded real close. Then there was another BOOM! followed momentarily by a few more. I had missed the message that they were doing some controlled detonations nearby. After about three evenly timed explosions I figured out it wasn't anything to worry about but I tell you, that's a crappy way to wake up.

I deployed to Sather AB, Baghdad back in 2008. I never left the Victory Base Complex so I was pretty safe. We'd get rocket/mortar attacks sometimes but they mostly fell on the Army side of things when they did hit.

Oh god.  You ever go down to the Liberty side of VBC?  We used to sneak over from there to raid your guy's Green Bean.

I went to Liberty every now and then but mostly stuck to Sather. I hated the hassle of getting my rifle from the armory. I made it a point of carrying that thing as little as possible.

Every now and then I'd have to go to the ATC tower to fix some computers up there. Since that was technically controlled by the Iraqis I was forced to take a "full load" with me. After the first couple times of having to climb the stairs with my M-16, 4 magazines, and whatever comm equipment I needed I just started borrowing my E-8s M9. Never mind I had never fired one before.

I'm a network administrator in the Air Force. In my career I had shot at paper targets that didn't move about 6 or 7 times. If things ever went bad I was pretty screwed either way. I just hoped that the thousands of soldiers a few minutes away would get to me in time. ;)

I have a similar thought about having to qualify with the M-16 while wearing a gas mask. If I ever, ever, ever am in a real life situation where I am shooting at someone while wearing a gas mask it's all over anyway.

On Liberty at least you were supposed to have a weapon and one magazine on you at all times.  Going for a run they did not seem to enforce it, and the shower trailer was okay too, but anywhere else you needed it.  I took to calling my M9 my "hall pass" because it made life much easier when I was back on VBC than wandering around with my M4 and stuff.  

Iraqi sides of compounds are fun.  I did a payday event with the Sons of Iraq once on a JSS we'd turned over to the Iraqi Army a few weeks prior.  There were like three of us, two rifles because CPT I'm not saying his name was too cool for one between us, and the nearest US forces were 20-30 minutes away if anything went bad.  

That must have been the one time I drank chai in full battle rattle.  I took off my gloves at least.

I think I'm okay with finishing out my career without having a story like that. :lol:

I actually wouldn't mind deploying again. At the end of the day, when you're in the AOR the work just feels like it matters more. You're efforts contribute far more directly to the mission. Deploying sucks but it's also the most rewarding time I've had.

Edited by BigDork

In retrospect it was a lot like being at a Mafia wedding.  You were surrounded by questionable people (mostly because a large number of the SOI were former Sunni insurgents), but this was not the time or place for violence.  We actually had less problems with the SOI misbehaving than the Iraqi National Police (they changed their names at least once, I forget if it was National Police to Federal Police or the other way around).

I wouldn't choose to go again to Iraq or the middle east.  Like you do more for the military, but the overall "I'm helping the Iraqis make a better future" thing was always a Sisyphus moment. Push rock goes up hill, rock goes back down hill, push rock uphill etc etc etc.

I loved being in Korea.  Some of the best times I had were hanging with the ROK or when we both got to go out and do field problems together.  Helps too most of the COIN stuff went out the window and it was pretty much "16 KM north there's the DPRK" focused.  Got to roll around in tanks, crunch stuff, shoot canister at targets, all the stuff they show to you in the recruiting videos for armor branch.  

I was talking with a couple people about Korea earlier today. I'm due to PCS in November and if I can't stay in the DC area I'm trying to get over to Osan for a year and hopefully then come back. I don't know if I've met anyone who completely hated their time over there. It seems like one of the few assignments most people enjoy.

I never joined the military to do the whole shoot guns, blow stuff up thing. That being said... driving around for a day or two in tank doing all sorts of fun stuff sounds like a great experience.

Being a tanker is without a doubt the best job in the Army.  Anyone who differs just clearly is wrong and mistaken.

Osan is nice.  I was up farther North, so cannot tell you much in detail, but Korea in no way (unless you're up north, then I'd call it a strong nuisance tour) is a hardship tour.  Locals are generally friendly, food is great (I'm not a kimchi fan, but the bulgoggi/most of the meat dishes are excellent), weather isn't any worse than DC is I imagine.  Seoul is a blast, I hear the DMZ is worth a visit too (I saw the DMZ in the sense of "there's that line we cannot cross" sense, not the visiting the cool places as a tourist sense).

About the only issue you'll run into down south is there's a country-wide command instituted curfew for US servicemen. It gets old having to be out of sight, out of mind by 0100 (at least I think that's what it was, I'm boring and rarely stayed out late enough to risk it).  That said if you take in-country leave or pass, and your CoC signs off on it, you can get an exception to curfew, which usually is no big deal (just expect the MPs to bother you at least once if you're still out on the town).

Got to roll around in tanks, crunch stuff, shoot canister at targets, all the stuff they show to you in the recruiting videos for armor branch.  

Ha, quoted for truth.   They certainly do not show you the part about trying to disconnect the damn saddle bolts for the pack at 3am in -20 degree weather.   Or the part where you give yourself a hernia trying to help get the track you just threw right side up. Or the part....   You get the idea.  :)

I was an enlisted armor crewman so the mileage may vary from the officer types.   But I would say for every hour of "this is awesome" there was 10 hours of "this sucks".  LOL

Military service began with 18 years in 2008. First conscription 2008-2009, was the war in South Ossetia as part of a peacekeeping battalion, and later served in the 4th military base in South Ossetia. Then he continued to serve under contract. He graduated from officer training was promoted to lieutenant (Second Lieutenant)  in 2010, in 2013 the senior lieutenant (First Lieutenant) . Participated in the CTO (counterterrorist operation) in the North Caucasus June 1, 2015 will be as 7 years in military service.

Военную службу начал с 18 лет в 2008 года . Сначала служба по призыву  2008-2009 , участвовал войне в Южной Осетии в составе миротворческого батальона  , и позже служил в 4-й военной базе в Южной Осетии . Потом продолжил служить по контракту . Окончил офицерские курсы получил звание лейтенант в 2010 году , в 2013 старший лейтенант . Участвовал в КТО (контртеррористическая операция) на северном кавказе .  1 июня 2015 году будет как 7 лет на военной службе .

I apologize in advance for my bad English, I use Google translation.

Edited by HUSKER2142

4 years as a medic in the US Army (with a year of that spent in Germany), and then a further 2 in the California Army National Guard in 1-185 AR. Did one tour of duty in Iraq* (as my profile pic shows). Alas, I did not get to play with all the fun toys. :(

*2004, OIF2. Aka, the days where "up-armored humvees" meant strapping some sandbags to the hood and stacking some more on the floorboards. :D

Picture20_zps0c7482b8.jpg

(Not me in this photo).