Map-Making Quick Questions - Quick Answers

I looked around for a general thread of map design technique questions but didn't see one, so I hope this isn't a duplication of an existing resource.

The idea is to have a thread (perhaps if it's really Useful it could be stickied) where anyone can ask a question and get community replies on map-making.

My question is:

I've read about marsh and some specific terrains having effects, but not for all so:

Does hard or rocky terrain do sonething special compared to say, grass? Does it stay hard, and not become muddy when the conditions are rainy? I didn't see anything explained about this in the manual.

I looked around for a general thread of map design technique questions but didn't see one, so I hope this isn't a duplication of an existing resource.

The idea is to have a thread (perhaps if it's really Useful it could be stickied) where anyone can ask a question and get community replies on map-making.

There's an entire sub-forum specifically for maps and mods. Most map design questions should be posted there. There's really no need for a single thread to handle all mapping questions because it would just end up being a very long and cumbersome to find what you're looking for - in the end you'd have to use the search tool anyway. It's simpler to have separate threads for specific topics.

Another question:

How do I control where the man-sized holes in hedgerows appear? I'd like one in one specific square but not another but it appears random.

Pete beat me to it, but there are specific mapping tiles for the gaps in hedgerows and walls and fences.

My question is:

I've read about marsh and some specific terrains having effects, but not for all so:

Does hard or rocky terrain do sonething special compared to say, grass? Does it stay hard, and not become muddy when the conditions are rainy? I didn't see anything explained about this in the manual.

Hard terrain is always hard, muddy terrain is always muddy. Wet conditions may alter their characteristics a little so that a vehicle may have a slightly higher chance of getting mired, but I'm not sure how much. Rocky terrain I believe limits or prohibits vehicle movement and it may even provide more cover to prone infantry than normal open grass. There's no published hard data for many of these terrain modifiers.

Hard terrain is always hard, muddy terrain is always muddy. Wet conditions may alter their characteristics a little so that a vehicle may have a slightly higher chance of getting mired, but I'm not sure how much. Rocky terrain I believe limits or prohibits vehicle movement and it may even provide more cover to prone infantry than normal open grass. There's no published hard data for many of these terrain modifiers.

Hmm. Ok. But I read somewhere that bogging chances increasewith a lot of rain. So, would that apply only to non hard/rocky terrain, is what's meant to ask.

Hmm. Ok. But I read somewhere that bogging chances increasewith a lot of rain. So, would that apply only to non hard/rocky terrain, is what's meant to ask.

I'm sure wet conditions affect all terrain, just like in real life. To what degree I don't know - like I said, they don't publish numbers on this. They only way we find out some of the inner workings of CM is to build a test scenario and run dozens of tests. For example, if you really want to know if hard ground is affected by rain, then make a blank map with nothing but hard tiles, add a bunch of Shermans, make the weather wet and rainy, and then run the test a bunch of times. You can then run the same test but with dry conditions and see if the results change much.

I'm sure wet conditions affect all terrain, just like in real life. To what degree I don't know - like I said, they don't publish numbers on this. They only way we find out some of the inner workings of CM is to build a test scenario and run dozens of tests. For example, if you really want to know if hard ground is affected by rain, then make a blank map with nothing but hard tiles, add a bunch of Shermans, make the weather wet and rainy, and then run the test a bunch of times. You can then run the same test but with dry conditions and see if the results change much.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm used to the work I did in SPWW2 and SPMBT where these effects were documented, I assumed that there would be more clarity for the CM series. Not debating if there should be, just assumed there was. :)