MARK TIME, MARCH!

Having actually preordered the game, I think the waiting is now worse.  I mean it is just a game, but on the other hand CMSF was pretty much my sweet spot for modern wargames.  Something newer and more awesome is exciting.

So with that in mind, two questions:

1. What are you doing instead of CMBS right now?

2. What's the first thing you're going to do when the game comes out?

For me:

1. I'm actually painting microarmor, although it's mostly French stuff at this point.

2. Quick battles.  Lots of quick battles.  One of the few things I really just didn't like at all about CMSF was not being able to build my own QB setups.  Like if I wanted to have a M1A2 vs Challenger 2 fight I had to guess how to tickle the QB generator into giving me Challengers (the M1s were obviously easy to get, but it seemed any time I put down a small British armored force, it was all Scimitars, all the time).  I also rather enjoyed red vs red because of the more lethal than World War Two, but not quite hyperdoom battles it generated.  While my days of sending T-62s clattering at each other are over for now, the lower tier Russian stuff vs the mid tier Ukrainian looks like it'd make for an interesting fight.

I'm preparing my blog to prove the dominance of the Rafale against all fighters for decades to come, you see  ;)

Nah, I'm trying ArmA3 scenarios with a tiny of group and doing my damnedest to make them stretch out and be enjoyable.  3 guys on a 32 man coop is hard to scale to be fun.

When I get the game, I'm going to try the Russian campaign or Ukranian.  I just really dont think large-scale US involvement would be likely at all, so I'll save that one for last.  I'll also try and pay close attention to see if my infantry complain that the T-90 or M1A2 are overperforming ingame, like how in Company of Heroes your troops banter a bit.  The US vs Russia aspect of the game just disinterests me, because one party is inevitably going to be vocally dissatisfied no matter what.  Ukraine versus Russia doesnt seem as likely to incite rants and groggy outrage :P

Literally, enemy troops jamming communications to send their rivals nothing but Wikipedia links from their own Wikipedia-equivalent to tell the enemy how bad they are.  It'd be awesome.

Edited by Nerdwing

I'm preparing my blog to prove the dominance of the Rafale against all fighters for decades to come, you see   ;)

I WILL DESTROY YOU.

Kidding.  I have a personal moral code against killing the mentally ill I'm not as antifrench as my alter ego on other forums might appear.

This does beg the question, did Arma 3 ever get good?  I tried to get into it, and I'm just not sure if I'm doing it wrong, or the time and place for Arma type games in my life was OFP: CWC and never again.

So with that in mind, two questions:

1. What are you doing instead of CMBS right now?

2. What's the first thing you're going to do when the game comes out?

1. I am playing CMSF with the Euroscape mod installed - it helps me waiting for CMBS.

2. Go to the Editor and take a look at all the new toys :D. That is the first thing i do with EVERY new CM iteration.

(1) My current gaming time is spent playing multiple PBEM games (and the occasional game vs the AI) of CMBN/CMFI/CMRT. I'm also about halfway through the FPS, "Wolfenstein, the New Order", which is quite fun.

(2) When I get CMBS, I'll probably play some QBs and some of the smaller scenarios against the AI, in hopes to learn the new battlefield well enough to play some PBEMs.

* Going through the British campaign in CMSF. Now I am in the mission where you have to decide if you go north to engage in heavy MOUT combat or south to secure the border. I suppose I should go north to experience the full intended effect of the campaign, but i am really not so confident after seeing the performance of my troops in MOUT earlier in the campaign.

*Trying to decide which first mission of either the German or Soviet Campaign is less overwhelming in CMRT. I think I am going to go with the German.

* Playing the Banner Saga, Command modern air naval operations and playing with my Cat :P

Re: ARMA3

For SP I think ARMA 3 is great and getting better everyday. It does tug on some strings that have not been tugged for me since OFP.

For MP it all depends on the group you play with (and for ARMA you absolutely have to play with a group). I had a group that played with modded Arma 2 and that was better than playing in Arma 3 for a while but I think things are getting better on that side too.