Armor command Q.

Sorry for my ignorance, but was wondering about some of the armor commands in CMRT... I have a platoon of tanks lined up at the edge of a wood line... what does "HIDE" mean armor wise? Will they turn off engines, will they back up into the wood line, will they auto-engage when they see a threat?

and also... should I have those hidden armor units unbuttoned, or keep then open?

Thx.

Hide just reduces the range at which enemy units can get a sound contact on the vehicle. It has no effect on visibility. It will also make them hesitant to engage enemy units so I don't recommend using it when there is a good chance of enemy contact.

You should keep you vehicles unbuttoned when they are not under fire.

The more one thinks about the Hide Vehicle command, the inherent implications, the curioser it gets. To recount the imponderables:

1- It's assumed that the vehicle has cut its engine. Idling creates a sound signature.

2- Tank engines, for example, often require a minute or more to restart.E.g., the Sherman.

3- Many AFVs have non-electrical or electrical assisted turrets.

4- These turrets don't work as efficiently without engine power.

5- Hidden vehicles in game seem* to suffer no penalties on traverse. 

6- Their engines fire up immediately.

7- A tank commander would be irresponsible to cut the engine of his vehicle within the scale of a CM battle. He'd risk a reprimand. Or worse.

*: not verified

Edited by Childress

Resolved: The Hide Vehicle command should be abolished*. Substitute a concealment bonus, similar to that enjoyed by AT guns, for vehicles in coverage that haven't moved from turn 1. 

Debate. 

*Absent a rationale from BF programmers.  ;)

Can see your reason for suggesting that but it seems a bit picky and not relevant most times.

Can see your reason for suggesting that but it seems a bit picky and not relevant most times.

The HV command resembles the appendix. A usually benign if useless organ that in the context of one's health cannot be considered relevant. But considerably harder to remove. ;)

On the other hand, BF actually fined tuned the damn thing in the latest patch. Is there a there there?

Edited by Childress

All the Panther's, they're variable speed to tied to the engine rpm and a high and low speed option. 46 seconds 360degree at 1000rpm and 17 seconds at governed 2500rpm.

So I assume that with the engine off, they'd be limited to the speed at which a hand crank could be turned. Doesn't sound like something I'd want to do all the time.

Michael

So I assume that with the engine off, they'd be limited to the speed at which a hand crank could be turned. Doesn't sound like something I'd want to do all the time.

Michael

If ever, when you know there are enemy units within reach; what if the Maybach doesn't fire up first time...?

On the other hand, BF actually fined tuned the damn thing in the latest patch. Is there a there there?

You would indeed have had a better argument before the last patch. Prior to that it did literally nothing at all.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

'Vehicles that are hiding are more difficult to hear, even compared to stationary non-hiding vehicles.'

Realistic? Only a WW2 crew member or a Tank Idling Grog (lots of luck) knows for sure. The tanks are still reluctant to fire. So the utility is questionable. But all together a small thing on the cosmic scale.

I recall there were a couple of WW2 tankers on the forum in 2000.

Edited by Childress