MT-12 100 mm Anti-Tank Gun...mostly harmless?

I don't quite share your enthusiasm for the effectivness of MT-12s on a modern battlefield; but one interesting note about the K model is that it is radar guided and can be fired with zero visual contact in any weather and/or light conditions...wonder if this could somehow be modeled in SF (without just giving it same characteristics as a TI-based system)?

Actually it is the R model (R for Ryta radar scope) that had a radar scope, K version could fire an anti-tank missile, but uses regular optics.

Actually it is the R model (R for Ryta radar scope) that had a radar scope, K version could fire an anti-tank missile, but uses regular optics.

I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing this out! Am I correct in understanding that the Ukrainians have quite a few of R models along with Ks? Although I have to wonder if any of those ATGM munitions are still functional as they are probably at the tail-end of their supported lifetime...

I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing this out! Am I correct in understanding that the Ukrainians have quite a few of R models along with Ks? Although I have to wonder if any of those ATGM munitions are still functional as they are probably at the tail-end of their supported lifetime...

The R was not really mass spread and had semi experimental status I think.

Here's a photo off the web of the heroes of the battle of Pisky, the two MT-12s that held off the flank attack. Note the farther vehicle seems to have three light camou bands to break up the extra-long gun barrel.

I don't know if its been pointed out, Ukraine fields the gun in the game but not Russia. With a few notable exceptions Ukraine's equipment is one generation behind Russa.

post-36386-0-23701500-1421879227_thumb.j

Edited by MikeyD

By coincidence I just read a report stating that in the past day Russian(?) tanks had assaulted the extreme left flank of the Ukrainian Pisky defense line following a massive shelling but the attackers were repelled and forced to retreat. The report claimed that two MT-12 guns of 5th battalion were instrumental in the defense. Apparently the gun's not quite as harmless as we've been assuming.

Well, I think it may be the same as when people mention the AK-47. Sure, it has its flaws and something more modern may be better. But it still shoots bullets that hurt.

Basically, even older gear can be used effectively under certain conditions. As long as you stick to those conditions, the older gear can still be deadly.

Edited by BlackAlpha