Sherman on point

Hi guys ! A fairly n00b question on my part... however, i didn't really bother before... 

When i point my sherman to target anywhere.. literally anywhere - either a target of my choice, enemy infantry, a vehicle, etc.. is there a way on how to 'CONTROL' which shell i use? HE AP? and... how about the .50cal Gun on top.. is that used by the 'open up' command? or something else ?

Thanks guys.

These classic tanks... are nice to ride.

I just watched FURY last weekend - anyone watched it ? :) and its encounter with a Tiger ?

post-72794-0-70502700-1420645351_thumb.j

The only thing you can do is choose between target and target light. Target will use the main gun, target light will use the tank's MGs (I believe including the .50 cal if the tank is unbuttoned). Otherwise the TC will choose between HE for infantry, buildings, walls, trucks and some other lightly armoured vehicles or AP for tanks, assault guns or some other lightly armoured vehicles.

I was informed that Target Light does not preclude use of the main gun 100%. It's just very unlikely to be used. But if the TC decides it's needed, "a drop of HE will just round this off nicely," he will use it.

Just putting that out there so that no one else ( ie. like I did :huh: ) cries "bug" when it happens. :lol:

I was informed that Target Light does not preclude use of the main gun 100%. It's just very unlikely to be used. But if the TC decides it's needed, "a drop of HE will just round this off nicely," he will use it.

Just putting that out there so that no one else ( ie. like I did :huh: ) cries "bug" when it happens. :lol:

I reckon that's a very rare circumstance indeed. I've not had it happen, and I generally have my tanks firing Target Light at every single opportunity :) Like all our orders though, (except for Fanatics), Target Light is, in the end a "suggestion" rather than an order, which can be ignored by the TacAI for "self preservation" purposes at the very least.

So deliberate use of the 0.50 cal is not an option but target lightly 'might' bypass the main gun & use it instead ? Thanks Guys.

Deliberate sole use of the M2 is not an option, but button/unbutton is entirely under your control. And that "might" is a once in a blue moon thing, and entirely not to be relied upon ever happening, even once, let alone often enough for it to influence your tactical use of the M4.

So deliberate use of the 0.50 cal is not an option but target lightly 'might' bypass the main gun & use it instead ? Thanks Guys.

Target Light will almost always bypass the main gun.

But there's a tiny chance that one day that Tank Commander will feel his oats more than usual and use it ( and when he does, it will be when your men are "danger close" to the enemy and it will kill more of them than enemy :lol:  Wargames are like that :lol: )

And for infantry, Target Light will reduce their Rate of Fire and almost always ;)  preclude them using heavier stuff ( rifle grenades etc. )

Target Light will almost always bypass the main gun.

But there's a tiny chance that one day that Tank Commander will feel his oats more than usual and use it ( and when he does, it will be when your men are "danger close" to the enemy and it will kill more of them than enemy :lol:  Wargames are like that :lol: )

Word. Murphy does, indeed rule the battlefield... :)

And for infantry, Target Light will reduce their Rate of Fire and almost always ;)  preclude them using heavier stuff ( rifle grenades etc. )

That I have seen. I suspect infantry trigger their "self-preservation" or other morale outlier effects more often than the armour branch do.

Murphy :) such a mischief on the field isn't he?

A veritable scamp.

But I would love BFC to edit and enable the use of MG on the tank @ user will.

I'm really not sure what you want here. Unbutton your tank, hit Target Light (or even, I think, Target, if the target is appropriate; don't know if the restriction of small arms firing at buttoned armour applies) and hey presto! BMG heading downrange. If you want the fifty firing at something, you probably want the other MGs firing at it too...

If you want the 50cal firing without unbuttoning, you will, indeed, be waiting some time, since that's physically impossible. No remote turret on M4s...

Aaaaaaaaa. Now I undrstood. Let me open up & unbutton the tc :) and take him & his MG for a spin. Sorry didn't understand instant.

:) Glad we got on the same page eventually. The only sadface about the .50cal is its low ammo supply. That, and any jerry shooters will take potshots at your now-exposed TC, so you'd better have a good target for him to risk his neck to put more lead on.

Remember that the TC is extremely vulnerable, and that you won't know for sure if the area is safe or not. You might have secured the perimeter with lots of troops, but that just means the coast is clear on ground level. When your TC pops out of the turret, he's located higher, and there will nearly always be some enemy MG with clear line of sight...

Hi guys ! A fairly n00b question on my part... however, i didn't really bother before... 

When i point my sherman to target anywhere.. literally anywhere - either a target of my choice, enemy infantry, a vehicle, etc.. is there a way on how to 'CONTROL' which shell i use? HE AP? and... how about the .50cal Gun on top.. is that used by the 'open up' command? or something else ?

Thanks guys.

These classic tanks... are nice to ride.

I just watched FURY last weekend - anyone watched it ? :) and its encounter with a Tiger ?

One thing about Target Briefly I befuddled upon by accident but was glad I did, well first of all, I know you asked about controlling which shell you can use but you can also when you choose "Target Briefly" which has nothing to do with this topic you can though, vary the time by setting up a target briefly command or order on something then clicking on the Target Briefly button again and it will add more time to the "brief" time it fires you can add LOTS of time so it is actually a Target non briefly target briefly command. 

Yeah, it's sometimes useful to set a Target Briefly command for more than a minute so you don't have to remember to check it off in a turn or two. Mortars often won't even have enough time to do anything useful with just 15 seconds. 

My interpretation of Target Light is that it doesn't really tell the firing unit not to use every weapon they've got. Just to be conservative about weapons use. Fire at an area at a sort of disciplined rate rather than unloading every gun as fast as possible. It's the difference between destructive fire and suppressing fire really. 

Edited by CaptHawkeye

Just in case on the off chance that there is anybody reading this thread who doesn't already know it, Target does not preclude firing the MGs if the operators of those weapons thinks they have targets. But as usual, the TC has to be exposed in order to fire the .50.

BTW, using Target Light is good for doing recon by fire of suspected enemy positions.

Michael