Umlaut´s snow mods

OK, the Sherman M4A1´s are finished and uploaded. Get them at the usual repo-depot

This a full set of Sherman M4A1 (early/mid/late) tanks lightly sprinkled with snow. Including american Shared Gear and Sandbag files.

The mod tag [snow] should ensure that these mods only show up in games with snowy ground conditions.

The base textures are made by Aris, I only applied the snow.

16210903240_f379fda99c_b.jpgrek sherm2

There you go again being too modest - "only applied the snow". It's a masterpiece  :) .

Thanks a lot. But the base textures are Aris´ work - and I can´t nor won´t take credit for that (even though I sure wish I could)

I need a telescope to see the damn bar now that you've gone and placed it up so high!   :D

How about some US greatcoats and helmets? Or did you already do them?

Thanks again. I´ll look at them soon, but I think I´ll try to finish the Sherman M4´s first. Haven´t looked at those yet either, so I really don´t know how much I could reuse from the M4A1´s.

In my crystal ball I forsee you turning the Bulge game into your own domain. Will you, please?

I sincerely hope that I won´t even have to. When releasing an all-winter base game I strongly assume that BFC will have added snow to the in game vehicles. But I must admit that I´m looking very much forward to seeing how they are going to do it.

Personally, I hope that they have devised some sort of snow layer that will spread randomly on top of the vehicles, rather than being part of the textures themselves as the snow in my mods has to be. A separate layer would add the few extra centimetres of snow on top of the vehicles that is impossible to depict with the current system. Furthermore, it would spare BFC´s vehicle artists - as well as us modders - the work of having to make separate snow versions of the vehicles. But it´s probably not easy to code.

Hopefully, we´ll know soon.

Edited by umlaut

Thanks a lot. But the base textures are Aris´ work - and I can´t nor won´t take credit for that (even though I sure wish I could)

I sincerely hope that I won´t even have to. When releasing an all-winter base game I strongly assume that BFC will have added snow to the in game vehicles. But I must admit that I´m looking very much forward to seeing how they are going to do it.

Personally, I hope that they have devised some sort of snow layer that will spread randomly on top of the vehicles, rather than being part of the textures themselves as the snow in my mods has to be. A separate layer would add the few extra centimetres of snow on top of the vehicles that is impossible to depict with the current system. Furthermore, it would spare BFC´s vehicle artists - as well as us modders - the work of having to make separate snow versions of the vehicles. But it´s probably not easy to code.

Hopefully, we´ll know soon.

I'm definitely not taking Aris work out of the equation. What I meant to say, is that the way you apply snow to achieve that frosty steel look of vehicles being out in inclement weather is really life like. Especially as you state, that snow is part of the texture and not a seperate layer. Must be hard to do.

Overall, one of my favourite aspects of CMFI is that there is snow - however for Bulge I really hope they do some work to make it look more life like. The snow looks too flat and units (I know it has to be that way) never get submerged in the snow. Treading through heavy deep snow tires you quickly, but now units run over it like it is a road. I also hope they add footpaths and roads that look like units have passed through the snow. Maybe they could add snow in an additional set of flavor objects so that you can sculpt life like formations.

Back to CMBS, but I can't help but longing for Bulge too. Never can get enough CM :)

Almost forgot to upload this set!

The spw 250/7, 250/9 and 250/10 lightly sprinkled with snow. Get them at GreenAsJade´s indispensable site

This is a sort of "patchwork" mod set: As always the base textures have been made by Aris. Unfortunately, he hasn´t made any modded versions of these three vehicles for CMFI. So in order to complete them I´ve had to take bits and pieces from his other CMFI 250´s - as well as his CMBN versions. I hope he forgives me.

The snow is as always applied by yours truly.

The mod tag [snow] should ensure that these mods only show up in games with snowy ground conditions.

15832904383_ac9f380e53_b.jpg250 7910 2

16452030852_b3b1827901_b.jpg250 7910 3

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about Mission Creep!

I´d already modded snowy versions of Aris great SdKfz 251 D halftracks for Kohlenklau´s wonderful "Wacht am Rapido" campaign. But in one of the battles (the one with the bridge, I think) there is one single SdKfz 251/9 ("Stummel") - in the C variant!

15964196643_bcda892667_z.jpgrek8

The nefarious Stummel

So I thought I´d better snow mod that one too.

But unfortunately Aris hasn´t made any mods of the C variants of the SdKfz 251. So this time I couldnt´t simply apply the snow on top of his base textures as usual. I had to mod the weathered, dusty base textures myself - from scratch.  

And then I thought: "When I´m already modding the Stummel I might as well mod the other five 251 C´s as well. That´s not going to be that much more work than making one". And so I did.

And then I thought: "Well, Aris hasn´t made any 251 C mods for CMBN or CMRT either. Why don´t I mod those as well - based on the work I´ve already made for the CMFI 251 C? That´s can be that much work when I´ve already made them once and it would be a pity not to utilize this in the other two WWII games". So I modded those as well.

Then I remembered that all these mods would have to have [muddy] versions too to be complete. So I made those.

At this point the CMBN and CMRT versions were finished, so they were uploaded to GreenAsJade´s.

The CMFI mods still needed the [snow] version. So I modded those...

...and now the SdKfz 251 C series is ready to for use in normal, [muddy] and [snow] variants.

And that is how modding four little bmp´s for the Stummel in Kohlenklaus scenario ended up being three sets of mods - containing 125 bmp´s in total.

:P

Download them here.

16557980296_54846732d0_b.jpgrek5

A complete set of weathered/dusty/snowy SdKfz 251 Ausf. C halftracks.

The majority of the modding for this set has been made by yours truly, but I have reused a few of Aris´ 251 Ausf. D textures whenever possible - to save time (the guns of the 251c 9 and 251c 10 as well as the extra stuff on the 251c 7). I have applied the snow.

All vehicles come in normal, [muddy] and [snow] versions.

Thanks a lot.

So, if I am reading this correctly we can use these mods for CMBN, CMFI and CMRT - correct?

Technically, yes - but:

I have made another set for CMRT and CMBN, get it here. The colours of the vehicles are different than in CMFI  - and then they of course haven´t got snow.

But I guess you could use this set in CMRT and CMBN as well if you prefer the more yellowish colours.