Ballistic missiles and missile defense systems

frez13

Well in that 45/46 scenario it would be one sided because the Allies have nukes while the Soviets haven't developed it yet.

In that time frame only the US possessed nukes, they only had a handful, and they were all earmarked for strategic use. It's doubtful that any would have shown up on the battlefield. I think it was only in the mid-'50s that the US began making serious moves to produce a tactical nuclear arsenal.

Michael

Shouldn't be hard to make some mods to accomodate Chris' suggestions, a dedicated map genre would require some careful decision by the maker, but a few mods could improve the sensation. Leafless trees for example, scorched earth due to extensive secondary fires, little use of the green grass Tiles and high use of the Yellow grass ones, destroyed buildings or skeletons of such buildings, use of thick fog to simulate smoke coming from fires all around the fields...

The only big limitation I see now is the lack of specific equipment for the infantry. Even a simple gas mask over the face would be convincing enough for the sake of aesthetics.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

ChrisND,

Since I've never played CMSF (rig couldn't handle it), I have no idea whether this is even handled explicitly in CMBS, but what about Fatigue, starting with the sheer effort of breathing through a mask, let alone while under various forms of stress and physically exerting oneself? While I concur, based on everything I've read and heard (had brother in Scouts, who shared much with me) that MOPP4 is no fun (are you speaking from former/current military perspective, on-site visits to Army units or more classical research?)...

Fatigue will be created by Chris's suggestion of reducing the default "Fit" fitness level of the troops.

I'm not sure reducing experience is the right way to go. The experience is still there, but we're talking degrades to the ability to do the various combat tasks.

The effectiveness of performing various combat tasks is exactly what Experience affects. From weapon operation accuracy to the situational awareness of dismounts. Sounds like a decent abstraction to me.

One thing I've wondered about is whether there oughtn't be a "Superfit" fitness level for some of the formations that operate these days. I don't know how true the self-opinion of units like the Royal Marines and Paras is that they can out-march any other regular army unit, but your basic infantryman, while fit, isn't "as fit as it is possible to get while serving". I don't suppose it was such a big issue in WW2, with the wider recruitment net, but even there, I'd've thought that the "veterans and volunteers" units like Rangers and Paras would be sufficiently fitter than your run-of-the-mill conscripted-basic-reppledepple-front line dogface for it to make a difference in game.

ChrisND,

Since I've never played CMSF (rig couldn't handle it), I have no idea whether this is even handled explicitly in CMBS, but what about Fatigue, starting with the sheer effort of breathing through a mask, let alone while under various forms of stress and physically exerting oneself? While I concur, based on everything I've read and heard (had brother in Scouts, who shared much with me) that MOPP4 is no fun (are you speaking from former/current military perspective, on-site visits to Army units or more classical research?), I'm not sure reducing experience is the right way to go. The experience is still there, but we're talking degrades to the ability to do the various combat tasks. I read an account of 3rd RTR in the Western Desert in which it got so hot the ubiquitous flies in the tanks died. No idea how those men functioned. Those AC equipped Saudi Abrams tanks are looking better by the minute!

Regards,

John Kettler

Yep, I've been in MOPP4 while doing strenuous work, and put simply it sucks. :o  In addition to the overheating and extra weight, everything is more difficult, even simple things like aiming a weapon or reloading. Reducing unit experience is a good way to simulate that degradation of basic combat skills, even if it's with a broad brush and not exactly a perfect solution..

Yup - In the UK garrison town I live in during the 80s squaddies would be running round in squads fully kitted up in Noddy (NBC) suits. Never envied them esp on summer days when they were only capable of jogging around for half-an-hour before collapsing from heat exhaustion.  Goodness knows what the infantry's endurance was like in the Gulf Wars when they were similarly kitted out in the desert heat while under threat from chemical and biological attack.

Noddy Suits.... The NBC suit has its disadvantages. Apart from being cumbersome, hot and awkward to wear, the basic question has been often asked " How, in the middle of a gas attack, do I relieve myself? The answer again is not to pleasant. Either you hold on or foul yourself. On exercise, of course there is no real worry. But even then it can go wrong as one poor squaddie foundout. As he disappeared one evening in his noddy suit for a crap behind some trees, We suddenly heard an awful groan from the darkness. Later we found out why, The poor bloke had accidentally done the job into the hood of his noddy suit. Worse still. He hadn't realized what he had done until he replaced the hood over his head.....
Edited by Wicky

Hoping the New Year brings wisdom in the real world to never use nukes in any manner. Reading the the medical response literature through the prism of emergency response per governments is a long slow torture in a bad dream for civilians.

Per Chris, "You can simulate an NBC environment right now pretty well... Welcome to the dark ages."

Not my cup of ZED entertainment ;)

Goodness knows what the infantry's endurance was like in the Gulf Wars when they were similarly kitted out in the desert heat while under threat from chemical and biological attack.

I have read that one important reason for launching the attack at the time it was rather than waiting any longer was that soon the desert would start truly heating up and trying to fight in those suits would be effectively impossible.

Michael