How to play a PBEM game on a Macintosh????

Guest Capt_Manieri

Guest Capt_Manieri

How does one play an e-mail game on a Macintosh with a scenario from the Beta Demo?

:This may be a stupid question.....but I don't know how to do it, so please help me!

I've been playing a PBEM game with a friend of mine, he on a PC, me on a Mac. Just take the "PBEM file" which is created in the CM directory and send it to your buddy. When you get his file, just start CM and load the file using the email option on the main menu.

To add some additional information for you in order to head off some of your next questions I will add the following.

To make it easy for you, I would first add a folder called, say, PBEM in your Combat Mission Demo Folder. Inside the PBEM folder add a folder with the name of the person you are going to play. Then all you have to do is save the files received from the other player in this convenient spot. That way if any turns or movies get screwed up as you send them back and forth, you will have the previous ones. Also, all the turn movies will be there if you have a particularly good one and want to build an AAR for submission to CMHQ.

Now, there have been some problems reported with units locking up, movies not playing and such. So to avoid this as much as possible, what I do on my Mac is always throw away the PBEM file created in the Combat Mission Demo folder after sending the files to my opponent each time. I also don't change the name of the file or anything else.

I have had some problems with PBEM, but basically it works pretty smoothly. For you it is going to be key to find an opponent that can play several turns with you in rapid fire, becuse I think you will get bored with a turn a day. I am in Australia, so, strangely enough I would suit you well. It is the evening for you there in the US and midday in Oz. I can usually get off 3-5 turns a day if you want to set up a game and shoot it over to me (thiel@bigpond.com)

Finally, if you run into problems, search through the posts before asking questions, or send them to me directly. The lads at BTS are doing some pretty important things for all of us, so make sure you only ask them "new" q's.

------------------

desert rat wannabe