New CM:BN master installers!

Combat Mission Battle for Normandy - News Saturday, 20 December 2014

As previously rumored, we have now updated all CM:BN packages available for purchase to Game Engine Version 3.0, meaning that all of the packages available in the www.battlefront.com/store now are fully up to date v3.11. This also marks the end of life of CM:BN v2.x, which has now been discontinued.

As part of this update, we have also implemented our new master installer system for CM:BN. Here are some of the highlights:

1- every full version download will always be up to date from now on and always include the latest updates. No need to patch after purchase. And if you need to re-install at some later point, simply re-download your purchase and you will always have the latest version without the need to apply individual patches.

up_to_date.png

2- every full version download including a base game purchase, or the 3.0 Upgrade, now contains the full master installer for the entire family including all modules and packs. This means if you purchase just the base game, and later decide to purchase a module, you will not have to download anything at all! All you'll need is the license key from your purchase to unlock the module content which you'll already have!

3- we implemented this system retroactively for all 3.0 Engine Upgrade purchases! Your store download for that purchase now points to a full master installer, including all of the content for Normandy, updated to v3.11. If you ever need to reinstall, that's the only thing you need. And, as per 1- above, this download will always remain up to date in the future.

4- future patches or modules or packs not containing a base game purchase will come with smaller installers with more or less just the content you'll need, to avoid excessive downloads. So if you're up to date already except for the latest release, you won't have to re-download the whole master again.

5- this system will enable us to, in the future, allow h2h play between players who do not own the same content. In other words, you'll be able to play against someone with Commonwealth Forces, even if you haven't purchased that module. You won't, of course, be able to use content in solo play if you haven't purchased it yourself. Note that this is planned for future releases, not a new feature available now!

6- this system will make reinstalls much easier, as well as relicensing on a new PC, and will reduce the risk for installation errors. Moreover, this new system is not using individual module.exe files any more, making it much less prone to anti-virus software false positives.

7- Older purchases of CM:BN - 1.x and 2.x - have not been updated and remain accessible to those who purchased them. We strongly recommend these users to purchase the 3.0 Upgrade, however, which will replace their game with a 3.0 engine and the simple one-stop full master installer.

8- if you purchase a Mail Delivery (Download & Mail or Mail only), you will automatically receive a disc with the latest version available at the time of shipping. If, in the future, you would like to receive an updated disc, you will be able to request one by submitting a ticket at battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com. You will need to pay $5 plus the usual S&H.

Combat Mission: Fortress Italy and Combat Mission: Red Thunder will be updated to this new system next year. Combat Mission: Black Sea will already be available using this same system.

Happy Holidays!

The Battlefront.com Team

Is there a grace period for peeps who purchased CMBN about... two weeks ago?

You shouldn't need one.

If you purchased a download and it included the 3.0 Upgrade or the VPack, then you have what you need. Just redownload the Upgrade.

If you didn't, then you need to purchase the Upgrade now, and you'll have what you need.

We switched the mail discs over to this new installer system more than two weeks ago already.

Martin

If we're already up to 3.11 do we redownload the update & install again?

No, you don't need to do anything. All it would do is replace the exact same files. But, if, in the future, you find that you want to re-install, or install on a new PC, then the one-step installer is all you'll need.

I think this is the answer....

"3- we implemented this system retroactively for all 3.0 Engine Upgrade purchases! Your store download for that purchase now points to a full master installer, including all of the content for Normandy, updated to v3.11. If you ever need to reinstall, that's the only thing you need. And, as per 1- above, this download will always remain up to date in the future."

But as Moon noted....   If you are up to 3.11 now you don't need to update & install again.

"No, you don't need to do anything. All it would do is replace the exact same files. But, if, in the future, you find that you want to re-install, or install on a new PC, then the one-step installer is all you'll need."

I think I may still be confused. I have the base game and both modules on disks which I purchased as soon as they were released. I have been having frustrating difficulties re-installing the game, so yesterday I uninstalled all that was on my hard drive. The question for me now is, can I simply load base game and modules and then activate them in one go with the master installer? Or am I going to have to go through the painful process of trying to activate/upgrade/patch each and every one?

Michael

Thanks, Soop. I'll give it a try, but I have to say that I have a sinking feeling that I am doomed never to play BN again.

Okay, so I took the plunge and bought the v3 master installer, loaded fresh copies of the base game and both modules. The game now runs...sort of. It still has that maddening bug that prevents me from panning the camera up and down. This is what caused all the trouble last year.

So...haven't reached the Promised Land yet...

:(

Michael

Okay, so I took the plunge and bought the v3 master installer, loaded fresh copies of the base game and both modules. The game now runs...sort of. It still has that maddening bug that prevents me from panning the camera up and down. This is what caused all the trouble last year.

So...haven't reached the Promised Land yet...

:(

Michael

See, what did I tell you.