Update on Black Sea release

ChrisND

Think we can bet on this week?

Probably not. Chris said that he'd let us know when the Final Candidate stage begins, and as far as I know that hasn't happened yet. He also said that when this stage starts there will be about a week until the release.

In general, normally, in a typical software development process when you decide you are done (features are all in, all major show stopper bugs are fixed) you produce a final candidate or release candidate (mean the same thing) build.  From then on each build is considered a possible release build.  You never just release it, you always test it 1) to make sure the last fix you made did not accidentally break something else and 2) make sure the nasty show stopper bug you just fixed is really fixed 3) give testing a little longer to make sure no other nasty show stopper bugs are easily found.  The issue then becomes deciding what to do when you hit a bug because leaving it has obvious risks but fixing it does to.  The big boss has to make a call.  If the call is fix it, you make a fix and a new build and start the final test cycle again.  The absolutely right thing to do is not to have an actual hard release date which leaves you free to delay things for another build if you find something you think your customers are going to hit often.  I am speaking here in general terms.  I have worked at five major companies and multiple products and the end game is always just like I describe above with variation in the terms and variation in the care given and variation in results.  Having done software development for 20 years I have seen this process handled really well and really badly.

I don't speak for BFC but they are a software development company and the tend to do the right thing in terms of quality.  I suspect all of us will see that reflected in how the end game plays out.  Well actually you will not see it I guess - sorry - but the results will be good.  What you should know is that they have an excellent track record of doing the right thing - even if you don't get to see the inner workings.  Having played these games for several years now and now having helped out with testing I will say the BFC is on the best end of the scale at handling this end game of the release.

So, if there is a delay - don't think "damn that's bad, what is wrong with them" - instead think "whew good for them, they are making another fix that would have made me miserable if they just shipped it".

How are preoders factored into the release of the game? Dvds need to be pressed, manuals printed and packaged etc before being shipped, that takes some time. Is this going to add another delay or will the game just be released separately as a digital download first without waiting for the physical game to be ready?

How are preoders factored into the release of the game? Dvds need to be pressed, manuals printed and packaged etc before being shipped, that takes some time. Is this going to add another delay or will the game just be released separately as a digital download first without waiting for the physical game to be ready?

The way they usually do it is to give the people who preordered a few hours head start downloading the game before they open it up to everyone else. The hard goods (DVD and manual) usually ship a couple of weeks after that.

We do not wait on physical shipments to release the game. Physical goods (DVD, printed manuals, case) usually ship out a short time after the game is released. If you ordered the physical shipment, you can of course download the game immediately at launch.

They were the better team. They've come a very long way in the 35+ years I've been watching them and they've earned all the laurels they've won.

Michael

I have nothing against Seattle Seahawks, actually I have relatives in Spokane so I'm kind of a fan of them, go hawks ! it was that 2 point conversion at the end  :mellow: .

Last of the tanks is ready for prime time: BM Bulat is looking good! Maybe the involved artists will come in here to take a bow. :)

Looks very nice can't wait to get the game.