Update on Black Sea release

ChrisND

The concrete barriers do look cool.  I wonder if they are flavor objects that vehicles can ignore or if they are like hedgehog obstacles in the WWII titles that restrict vehicular movement.  

They are flavor objects and come with all their limitations.  They should be used sparingly, and not to form continuous walls.

I have a thought to consider while we are waiting here impatiently. There is a PC game called Door Kickers, I’m sure many here are familiar with it, where the player must plan and engage in CQB missions through houses, apartments, warehouses, etc.

I think some of the ideas from that game could be borrowed for future versions of Combat Mission, in particular features like making rooms inside of buildings and houses so we can create entry/defence plans by using waypoints, target arcs, grenade lobbing commands, etc.

I’d love to see this type of breach and clear gameplay eventually find its way into Combat Mission games, this kind of thing is right up my alley. On one part of the map you could be engaged in a long range tank dual, on another part you could be deciding which squad member you want to risk being the first guy bursting through the front door. 

I would love to know if you guys think this room to room style gameplay would be worth the effort, personally I think this kind of tactical depth would attract more players to the game. 

Not for me, Takoda, sorry. I am a huge fan of Door Kickers (and an original crowd-funder to boot) but it's a game scaled at team (not even squad) level where CM is scaled at company level. I would not want to deal with the minutiae of individual soldiers entering rooms in CM any more than I would want to play large urban battles in DK. I do not think CQB falls within the scope of CM's concept nor is its engine designed to simulate conflict on such a granular level.

Edited by Bahger

While Bahger does have a point in comparing the scale in terms of strategy and overall strategy, the added possibility of animating building entries of the would add a whole other magnitude of realism to the game. If some modifications were made to the engine, to allow for wiggle room in creating animations for door breaching and what not, things like casualties from storming rooms and what not would be infinitely more accurate (although I'm not arguing it would be worth the effort, adding furniture and just generally having an overhaul of building interiors) .