Update on Black Sea release

ChrisND

...meawhile, modding to kill time:

I hoped these high voltage towers were added as new big  flavour objects (maybe they will one day), anyway, trying to make the usual old horizons "feel" a bit more modern:

s13jfc.jpg

(terrain and foliage fully modded as well)

Those look fantastic! How did you create those? 

...meawhile, modding to kill time:

I hoped these high voltage towers were added as new big  flavour objects (maybe they will one day), anyway, trying to make the usual old horizons "feel" a bit more modern:

s13jfc.jpg

(terrain and foliage fully modded as well)

Outfrigginstanding! I like it!  :)

That definitely needs to be a flavor item...but not if it is going o slow down release.  ;)

Edited by gunnersman

Wow! Reading through this forum, I thought how happy I am that I'm using my time to play CMBN, CMFI, CMMG, CMGL, CMRT, and CMSF instead of posting "Is it ready yet?, Is it ready yet?" I'm feeling really sorry for those who don't have any other CM games.

Edited by Vet 0369

Not ready yet = N'yet :P  There must be some kind of Murphy's Law for game release. Not talking just Battlefront, of course, but probably every blockbuster AAA game. Or perhaps an equation that somehow states the proposition that the release date of X game is delayed in direct proportion to Y amount of preorders times Z amount of hype. It seems 2015 has already especially come to be the year of big game delays, judging from titles I've been following. On personal level, I find that whenever a game is roughly scheduled to be released during my vacation, it inevitably gets delayed until some time when I'm back at work. If this is the case, the best way to speed up Black Sea's release would be for me to take one for the team by cutting short my vacation and going back to work today. 

I am not an expert of programming or 3d modelling, but I assume that the effort of making a complex 3d model is, in BFC eyes, not Worth for something that would just be a prop. Besides, there's a Whole bounch of problems when it comes to interaction with shots/units pathfinding etc. etc.

I wouldn't mind the absence of cables.

Although I also belive that few things like the high voltage Towers contribute to make a landscape more modern and these items are quite common.

There are many potential "modernizing" items, guardrails for example. Making these as 3d models to appear on the side of a road might be possible, but I also belive they fall under BFC concept of time-vs-revenue, where revenue is the effective impact in game of the work done to make them, and since it would again be more of an aesthetic thing than anything, I realize they are out of question.

Standard commercial containers, big boxes that would surely be the easiest thing in the world to model in 3d, yet, how would you code them? As flavour objects? Make sure they block LOS, make sure you can stack them somehow, that would take more time than to model them I'm sure. 

Another thing I miss: tall industrial cimneys. We can make a lot of shapes with the modular buildings, yet we miss some large details that are those which give character to a building: such as a tall cimney, or a round, metal silo, or a cluster of pipes.

Now, consider that these big flavour objects must be destructible, otherwise you'd feel something wrong the minute your company sitting inside a building complex is oblitarated by artillery and the buildings raized while that tall cimney made of bricks just survived...

In the end: if we were asked something like: would you like to see in game a BMD variant or a set of industrial models as big flavour objects? I guess 95% would go for the tank (I would) because, in the end, we play a tactical sim game, not sim city. But I'd like to have those props nonetheless, if only it was moddable someone might make those.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Actually, Battlefront's history (back to before they were Battlefront) is overwhelmingly on his side.

Dating back to the Bigtime Software days, they've never given release dates because they've always been about "when it's done". 

So, no, there isn't any history on his side at all...

Chris misspoke when he said the Bulat was the last vehicle to go into the game. There was one more. ;)

You might notice by the timestamp I'm posting this at 4am. We're moving heaven-and-earth to finish up.

The first stepping stone towards hardcore logistics being on CM? Scenarios could come with little Sokoban-like puzzles to ease the wait for fire support/etc :P

Now seriously, Godspeed Team BFC!