New file at the Repository: In the Fields Where the Poppies Grow (2014-12-07)

In the Fields Where the Poppies Grow was my first attempt at campaign creation and is still very special to me. Since then I have created a few more and during that time learned a great deal of the mechanics as well as the creative process of making campaigns/scenarios on CMx2. I also learned that I had made a huge number of mistakes in "Poppies". The AI was atrocious,( I was clueless in how to create and setup AI plans) and the campaign showed it. It was my first attempt at mod tagging, of which the mod folder was forgotten to be attached to the upload.:angry:

So I have gone back and revisted "Poppies" and have totally reworked the entire campaign. The storyline is the same as are the units and the characters that make up the storyline. However I have made what I hope are some good improvements that will make this campaign what I had envisioned it to be in the beginning.

The AI has completely been revamped on all missions. It is now more aggressive and the units are tagged to their AI plans correctly. All the plans have been adjusted or changed completely. Setup zones for the enemy should be correct now. Triggers have been added on alot of missions. The German forces will not go down easy.

Some German units have been changed or had their positions moved around.

The scoring system in the campaign has also been reworked. There are many more opportunities for both sides to score points so every unit is important as its loss can hurt.

I have also reworked some of the maps slightly. Some roads have been straightened out (mainly on the first 2 maps) to elimnate the motion sickness caused by zigzagging :D.

A few maps have had small things like walls or boccage adjusted, mainly visual stuff.

The heart of this campaign is the same. You take the role of 1st Lt. Stevens as he moves his company across the war torn landscape of Normandy, France. It is a story of men at war.

Hopefully those that played it previously will revisit it again as it will offer a different and hopefully better challenge. For those that have not played it I hope you will give it a try. As always let me know of any problems or bugs.

Here is the link and I hope it proves enjoyable. Put the .cam file in your campaign folder in your game directory and the mod folder which is included into your data/z directory.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uita7ni2k6ljiyp/In the Fields Where the Poppies Grow.zip?dl=0

Michael

• 1 year later...

Thank you for updating this old campaign of yours Dragonwynn.

I didn't notice many of your 'huge number of mistakes' playing though this a couple of times. I always thought it was a great effort.

Hopefully the enhanced AI plans will make my next playthrough as interesting as when I first attempted it all those years ago.

4 hours ago, MANoWAR.U51 said:

This campaign is a must have.

Since playing narrative campaigns like yours, Kampfgruppe von Schroif, or Devils Descent I´m simply not able to enjoy the vanilla campaigns anymore.

1 hour ago, niall78 said:

Thank you for updating this old campaign of yours Dragonwynn.

I didn't notice many of your 'huge number of mistakes' playing though this a couple of times. I always thought it was a great effort.

Hopefully the enhanced AI plans will make my next playthrough as interesting as when I first attempted it all those years ago.

Thanks alot guys. I do hope it proves enjoyable. I am still learning from each new one I do and hopefully I will be as skilled as some of our veteran campaign/mission creators one day. My last couple have been rather large affairs (Operation Clipper and For King and Country) and at the moment I am piddling with just independent scenarios for a break but I am already working on the research for another CMRT campaign that I hope will be a good one.

1 hour ago, dragonwynn said:

Thanks alot guys. I do hope it proves enjoyable. I am still learning from each new one I do and hopefully I will be as skilled as some of our veteran campaign/mission creators one day. My last couple have been rather large affairs (Operation Clipper and For King and Country) and at the moment I am piddling with just independent scenarios for a break but I am already working on the research for another CMRT campaign that I hope will be a good one.

Constantly improving is never bad but I´m around here since almost a decade and I can tell you, you´re already belonging to the very best CM campaign creators I´ve ever seen here.

But enough flattery. I hope your new work includes again telling the stories of individual soldiers, really enjoyed that. However looking forward to see your new creation.

Good hunting!

Edited by MANoWAR.U51