New file at the Repository: In the Fields Where the Poppies Grow (2014-12-07)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still in my first mission.

While storytelling is top notch and should be looked upon by the devs I did find out some issues in other departments that might interest you in case you would want to improve on your work.

1. There is too much clutter at the crossroad and vehicles get into pathfinding issues. The one where that house sits. Widen the road or remove a wreck or two.

2. Seems like you have two German sniper teams on each side of the road on the way to the rescue location. The one on the right is positioned on the wrong side of the hedge ie. on the side that USA forces advance from (or is this intentional?).

3. I found an issue with the German assault guns - two of them advance right by the stranded Americans that you ought to save and Germans are besieging exposing their rear to them and in process are an easy target to AT rifle fire. Kills an immersion since a real world tank commander would never drive right in the middle of the enemy like that. Can't you maybe utilise some triggers that those assault guns would advance only when those defenders are mostly wiped out?

4. I know AI is terrible at attacking but maybe you can script the German forces to appear less Banzai-like sending a wave after wave into a certain death?

Thanks Hister for the comments and suggestions as they will indeed help me improve.

If you are playing the first version there were some AI issues I thought I had corrected with the Germans attacking the crossroads. I will take a look to see if they are acting silly as I had changed up their attack strategy in version 2.

As for the stugs they were set up in version2 to hold along the road longer to give the infantry time to assault the house. They may be to eager to get in action so I will look at your suggestion on the triggers.

I know the road is tight but I designed it that way to frustrate the player.... Lol jk. I wanted to throw some obstacles in to slow up the tankers advance. It's a race to get to the trapped soldiers and the delay was to add some tension to the scenario.

Thanks again for the input and I will look at the issues of concern.

I'm playing version 2.

Thanx for your explanations and work dragon.

Road problem is a great idea-it works as designed but maybe doesn't adhere visually. To me it looked enough space to go through but AI pathfinding decided if wasn't. Maybe place a wreck in the middle of the road?

Assault guns were waiting on the road but then plunged right into my men. I repositioned my trapped troops at scenario start to defend their perimeter and they managed to repulse German infantry attacks. So most of the men were alive when the assault guns plunged right in the middle of them.

I have uploaded Version 2.1 of this campaign that corrects the incorrect setup of some German units with in the Allied setup zone in one of the scenarios. Guess my mouse was a little to happy that day when I was setting up the AI plans. I also corrected the misplaced sniper team and reworked some of the road clutter in one battle for better pathfinding. I also adjusted the AI in one battle with some German armor units. It is at GAJ now and I will upload it here also. http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5436/details

Yea Jorge MC I am not happy with them either. As I have fooled around with the editor more I became a little better at modifying and building maps but just didnt have the fortitude at the time to go back and redesign after I was so far into the campaign. I will look at fixing that when i get the time.

Ok. Apparently I either am I complete idiot or just clueless lol. When I was doing the modtag for this campaign I understood (more like it blew right over me) that once you tagged a specific mod or file that it was hardcoded into the given scenario without the need to actually include the files as a seperate part of the download. Well thanks to a kind player who brought it to my attention I realize everyone who has played this campaign has done so without the benefit of the modtags I did, which included a soundtrack for the loading and AAR screens as well  as some modified and self created textures for the atmosphere of the campaign. So I will correct this oversight and upload the campaign and included folder for the modtags for those who would like to play it again sometime with the way I had created it in the beginning.

I do apologize for this oversight as it is still a learning process for me (one that I may need to give up lol). This was only my second campaign and my first using the tag system and I really wanted it to be a good experience to all who played it. I will upload to GAJ here http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5446/details. Of course it will be a larger download. Just place the folder Pantherburn into your Z folder and everything will hopefully be right with the world.

You know what, we are all a bunch of idiots - I knew about the mod tags 'cos I read it had it and thought that ground next to ruined house had it but it was apparently only vanilla tectures at work. As for the music I was trying to extract the campaign with one tool and thought I was doing something wrong since I couldn't hear it nor see it in the campaign folder.

Don't be so harsh on you - we all learnt something new today.

Oh and thanx again for doing it! :D

Ok. Apparently I either am I complete idiot or just clueless lol. When I was doing the modtag for this campaign I understood (more like it blew right over me) that once you tagged a specific mod or file that it was hardcoded into the given scenario without the need to actually include the files as a seperate part of the download. 

You are not alone dragonwynn, believe me.  Thanks for all the effort with this.  looking forward to trying it out soon.

Edited by mjkerner

dragon, tried the newest iteration.

Great work on those textures! Burned ground and vehicles is a fantastic addition!

There are some problems though. German and US jeeps that are burning do not have the burned out texture on them. There is also one German tank that has burnt textures but when you move away from it with the camera non burnt textures pop in. 

It might be a good idea to write a note that you have to put .cam file in the campaign folder and the textures folder in the Z folder where all the other mods reside. Otherwise many users who are not well versed in tagged mod use might be missing on the excellent texture and music stuff you'e put in. Yeah, added music is great too! 

Thanks Hister. Glad you liked the look I had intended from the beginning. I am aware of the graphic glitch where the textures tend to pop in and out but it may be something beyond my control (shader issues or graphic card anomolies). I didnt texture the Kubel and Jeeps because I had planned on using them in other parts of the campaign and didn't want them to look destroyed when they were not lol. One of the limitations of the mod tag system unfortunately so you have to use your imagination a little in some situations. But I did want to try and achieve a true war zone feel and I was reasonably happy with the outcome. I can only imagine what Aris could have done with some of those textures as I do love his work lol.

Thanks for the suggestion on the note about the files being put into the right place. I will do that for any new projects for sure. Hope you enjoy the rest of the campaign. I should have the CMRT one done soon putting the final touches on it.