Use of smoke grenades.

According to the 3.0 Engine Manual:........Offensive

use of smoke (e.g. covering an advance) is usually left to supporting artillery or

air assets and not to the individual ground unit.

Note: “Pop Smoke” can be aimed using the Face Command

Does this statement mean that an infantry unit can NEVER use smoke in the attempt to cover an advance or that there is some algorithim that makes it statistically unlikely that smoke will be popped prior to a forward move.

I have had more close assaults go terribly wrong because the unit that I commanded to pop a smoke grenade before moving into a dangerous area or to cover the movement of another unit close by did not do so. I see the unit moving with the lavender line of the direction of the smoke in front of them, but the smoke never gets popped.

I use smoke a fair amount and no there is no contextual banning of use, more likely it is an issue of combination of commands that is affecting it as mjkerner noted. I have seen incidents where I gave a pop smoke and face command at the end of a move turn. unfortunately my infantry got distracted and their facing at the end of the turn was different than I'd intended...and the resulting smoke off on a tangent to intended location. sh*t happens.

You also have to be wary about using a Face command to aim the smoke. Sometimes, the element has to creep about to adopt the new facing, and, IME, sometimes this means the direction of throw also rotates.

I've pretty much given up on offensively using Pop Smoke, since it's too erratic to be useful.

I should have said in post #4... In the command phase, use "Face" first, then hit the "Pop Smoke" button to make that that your troops lob their grenade in the right direction. Of course, if you're not quite satisfied that the grenade is going to land where you want it to, use "Clear Target" and try again.

I have used the pop smoke command for offensive movements. Generally employing all the above suggestions.

1. Don't move the unit popping the smoke

2. Select that unit and give it a Face command in the direction you want the smoke thrown.

3. With the unit still selected, choose the pop smoke command

4. Give moving units a pause command of at least 30 seconds (45 if the smoke popping unit needs to adjust it's facing)

I have used the pop smoke command for offensive movements. Generally employing all the above suggestions.

1. Don't move the unit popping the smoke

2. Select that unit and give it a Face command in the direction you want the smoke thrown.

3. With the unit still selected, choose the pop smoke command

4. Give moving units a pause command of at least 30 seconds (45 if the smoke popping unit needs to adjust it's facing)

This is a handy set of instructions and is also how I use smoke grenades. I try to think of this as a basic skill when fighting in urban areas or hedgerow country. At the beginning of a mission, especially in urban or hedgerow type of terrain, I note the wind direction and strength in the conditions tab of the user interface.

I also try to employ a counter tactic to this when my opponent pops smoke. Once a smoke screen is established the game mechanics will not allow you to shoot through the smoke. The exception is if you were already shooting through the area it will allow this established line of fire to continue. So when I see his troops throw smoke grenades onto a street or a road between two hedgerows it is a good bet he is going to run a squad or two across this linear danger area. I then try to area fire into the area before the smoke is fully established.

I also try to employ a counter tactic to this when my opponent pops smoke. Once a smoke screen is established the game mechanics will not allow you to shoot through the smoke. The exception is if you were already shooting through the area it will allow this established line of fire to continue. So when I see his troops throw smoke grenades onto a street or a road between two hedgerows it is a good bet he is going to run a squad or two across this linear danger area. I then try to area fire into the area before the smoke is fully established.

Good point. Your counter would cost me dearly in one game I played where I repeatedly used the smoke technique I described to cross a street with a light tank located about 60m further down the same street. For best results one has to wait the full turn, so the smoke develops, before sending his moving units across the open area. This will give his opponent the opportunity for the area fire.

I wait 1 turn before moving into smoke - the checking conditions beforehand along with the facing is SOP wait a turn to verify the facing before giving the command and then another for the results of the smoke.

I have smoked tree lines for movement thru open as well - the duration is iffy at best but better than nothing. Then do the Pickett's charge. The best way is to use the terrain for defilade. That is not what the OP was asking.

HtH I have used for misdirection - YMMV not even sure if it fooled them.