Request for OLD guys

grunt_GI

Fellas...is there any way to make the briefing text BIGGER...LIKE BIGGER readable.

Oyyy, even with my bifocals, I squint a LOT to read the briefings on CMSF. CMBN and CMRT...are better and much more readable but another bump up in font size would be great.

Just a thought.

I found making screenshots and enlarging them (zooming in a photoviewer) is the easiest way at the moment.

When enlarged they become very clear. With fraps it can be done in a few seconds, klicking through the briefing, pressing the hotkey, then alt-tab to the screenshot directory and read them.

But it is still a hack.

I got a dedicated set of prescription 'computer glasses' that focus out about 3 feet (monitor distance). The bifocals are for the real world.

I couldn't handle bifocals, messed with my peripheral vision too much. I have a pair of regular glasses and then some for close reading...... and then a magnifying glass to figure out wtf they are sticking in my food these days. Those labels are written by tiny elves or something.

You could try the Windows screen magnifier, it may work with CM. Go to Start->Control Panel-> Ease of Access Center->Screen Magnifier. Start CM, read the briefing, and when you are done, you can quit the screen magnifier with Windows+ESC. Lowering you screens resolution to something like 800x600 will also increase the size of the briefing text.

EDIT: Here is some more infor on the screen magnifier, if you want to try it:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-use-windows-7-magnifier-make-computer-screen-easier-see.htm

I got a dedicated set of prescription 'computer glasses' that focus out about 3 feet (monitor distance). The bifocals are for the real world.

I've been doing that for years now. The only difference is my computer glasses are set to focus at two instead of three feet. I like this because when watching a movie, it is almost like sitting in the front row but without the stiff neck.

:)

Michael

My computer screen got too hard to read. So, I got a webcam, put it close to my screen, and have it transmit the image to my other computer. Now that one's getting hard to read. Starting to price out another webcam...

:)

See here is a classic example of the weakness of using technology as a crutch. I just imported some cheap ass labor and have them reading it for me. Now I just wish I could understand what they are saying.

Nidan 1,

Not 30 years, more like 26.5. Still, frightening to contemplate. The Gen One iMac was introduced in June of 1998. We got one, but in the second production batch, the first having vanished from the shelves near instantly, leading to weeks of waiting for more. It was on the family iMac that I cut my CM teeth via the CMx1 CMBO Beta Demo. While we're at it...

BFC,

Please avoid reverse type and use a readily readable font and point size in your games. It would really help if you made sure there was high contrast between the type and the background.

Regards,

John Kettler

Actually, what i meant to say was in 30 years of own MACS...my first Mac was the 9.5" 512KE with the awesome 800K 3.5" floppy drive.

I have owned a number of iMacs and am really enjoying my 21" bad boy with 1G of video Ram for the full goodness of CM.

Oh, yea, that multicolored iMac did go well with CMBO...:)

grunt_GI,

1 GB of VRAM? I have a whole 256 KB and no apparent upgrade path. Consequently, when I look at those gorgeous screenshots, I turn green--not in the environmental sense!

Before I was on Macs, I was on the then-amazing Amiga, whose capabilities and associated costs nearly broke down my friend, who's spent, I recall, $4K, options maxed , on his gray scale, tiny screen, mono audio Mac 512 SE. I owned an Amiga 1000, subsequently replaced by a vastly more capable family 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga

My current, somewhat wheezing--especially with WordPress, rig is a 21.5" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, with 4 GB RAM, 256 KB VRAM and a 1 TB HD. OS X 10.7.5.

Regards,

John Kettler

grunt_GI,

1 GB of VRAM? I have a whole 256 KB and no apparent upgrade path. Consequently, when I look at those gorgeous screenshots, I turn green--not in the environmental sense!

Before I was on Macs, I was on the then-amazing Amiga, whose capabilities and associated costs nearly broke down my friend, who's spent, I recall, $4K, options maxed , on his gray scale, tiny screen, mono audio Mac 512 SE. I owned an Amiga 1000, subsequently replaced by a vastly more capable family 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga

My current, somewhat wheezing--especially with WordPress, rig is a 21.5" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, with 4 GB RAM, 256 KB VRAM and a 1 TB HD. OS X 10.7.5.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi John,

I assume you mean 256MB...yea my previous iMac had the old ATI x1600 video card which wouldn't even run CMBN version 1.0. So yea i am very happy.

I still have that old Mac in my attic. Still runs. Gonna want till it's a collectors item then clean up on eBay.

-/:)

Wow, that took me back. 12 years old playing 'Defender of the Crown' on my friend's dad's Amiga...