CM Black Sea - Beta Battle Report - US/UKR Side

pnzrldr

That russian rifleman not shooting his RPG-26 is strange.. maybe because he is out of range.. disposable rockets have bad accuracy at more than 50 meters.

I'm more inclined to believe it was a bug. A WWII Panzerfaust may have been unreliable at 50 m but modern disposable rockets aren't that inaccurate, many of them have sights up to several hundred meters, this situation for me is a no brainer, even if you don't hit it you could still make that Tunguska's crew feel somewhat uncomfortable with a near miss.

Edited by kuri

at 150 meters he should have.  Would have to see the actual save to guess more than that.  In Scott's description, the commander is buttoned, that is the first item I would want to verify.  Soldiers love popping off rounds at exposed crewman even when in this case they should be reaching for that rocket.

Everyone should remember that neither real world Soldiers, nor pixeltruppen, make the optimal choice at every opportunity.  If you think about it, you can recall numerous instances of the TAC AI making...  sub-optimal decisions... with either your guys or your opponents.  That is part of what makes the game so good, and makes it feel less like you are fighting robots and more like they are real people stuck in the chaos of combat.  Every book on combat I've read, as well as my own real world experience, indicates that Soldier's under the stress of fighting for their lives and having to make swift decisions often choose poorly.  Sometimes you fall back on the training you are most comfortable with or which got the most emphasis - like shooting your rifle rather than messing with that tricky RPG thingy that you've never actually fired, only drilled with.  Hell, in the Russian Army, I would bet the Private humping the RPG would be terrified to fire it without a direct order to do so.  However, I don't think this is a bug, and would bet that if we built it as a test we would get a certain percentage of RPG shots out of this team.

The Bradley was indeed well inside the TOW II's min range of 125m.  Warhead would not have armed.  

Well that tunguska is one lucky bastard then .. And so is you .. Those ukrainians are actually the only ones providing good and effective air defense for your main US force. Manpads Stingers are great.. But tunguskas AND stinger manpads combination is deadly

Edited by antaress73

With a roar, the twin 30mm cannon spit huge bursts of lethal high-explosive shells up the street, slashing after the running infantry.  The enemy had ducked behind a hedge at the last instant, but the gunner walked the rounds along the area he thought they had gone to.  It looked as though they had run into a small shack.  Well, he would just…..

“Brytva elements, this is Orel Base, air alert, sector 7A, bearing 258 closing.  Illuminate!  Weapons free!” 

The commander instantly terminated the ground engagement, responding by training to the anti-air drill.  The search radar went from standby to narrow-beam search in less than a second, and an instant later the radar operator sang out that he had a target.  The gunner announced a lock and the whole crew heard the warble of the lock signal. The commander ordered “launch,” and the missile was away, all within mere seconds of the alert.  The 9M311 missile sped up and away, guided towards the target by commands from the launcher, which had to sustain the radar lock throughout the engagement.  This it did, and the unknown Russian aircraft jinked, but the missile’s laser-armed proximity fuze functioned.  The crew knew their missile had detonated, but none were certain they had scored a kill as they had all seen the smoke trail from their sister Strela launch from within Krichek at nearly the same instant.  But all saw the splash as the enemy aircraft hit the ground.

“Now where,” thought the commander of Brytva 21, “did those pesky infantrymen go?”

http://youtu.be/eFdA78fMz3A

As KPT Kovtun’s command BTR moves by ferrying an infantry squad to the north side of town, Brytva 22M, the surviving Strela launcher in the middle of town engages unknown Russian aircraft with two missile volley.   Note the splash of the downed aircraft beyond Starov village at the end of the clip.

In Krichek, Starshiy Bondarenko was exhausted.  He and his team had run up the street, going building to building, lugging the heavy Corsar ATGM all the way.  While a fairly light weapon given its capability, light is a relative term and they had run fast.  KPT Kovtun had directed them to reposition to face the threat of a Russian BMP coming across the river – they were amphibious, and could swim from a suitable bank, making the crossing in moments.  Bondarenko and the team climbed up to the second floor and began setting up, but instantly Sasha cried out. 

“Infantry coming!” punctuated by several short bursts as he cut loose with his AK-74. 

“Sasha, stop!  You’ll give away our position!  We have to wait for the BMP!”  too late he warned, as the very BMP itself, slid up from behind a fold in the ground actually in front of the infantry Sasha had engaged.  A large Russian shell, a stray perhaps, from the ongoing bombardment, slammed into the ground directly in front of the vehicle.  As the smoke cleared, the BMP gunner immediately pressed his triggers, slamming 30mm shells into the building where they sheltered.  Sasha fell with a cry, and an instant later Bondarenko mashed the firing stud on the Corsar and felt the tremendous whoosh and slap as the missile screamed from the launcher.  The range was just beyond arming range for the missile, and it detonated hard on the BMP, instantly setting off secondary explosions that consumed the Russian track.  Bondarenko knelt and cradled his arm as he realized it was torn by shrapnel.  But he realized it wasn’t bad, and quickly raised his head for another look at the blazing BMP.  In that instant the BMP’s platoon mate on the far bank loosed a quick burst that caught the young gunner square, shrapnel tearing into his chest, neck and shoulder.  Only his body armor saved him from instant death, and his life would now hang on the skills of the medics in town and the speed of their rescue by US forces. 

http://youtu.be/yc9RMo87KSQ

Edited by pnzrldr

SPC O’Brian was good and ready. They had to reposition twice, but now he saw it clearly on the distant southern hill.  Through the thermal on his Command Launch Unit, he distinctly saw the outline of a T-90, the latest Russian tank.  He was pretty sure he saw others on the ridge behind hit, but could not see enough of them to be certain, but the vehicle closest was hull up and unmistakable. 

“Alright, Metcalf, we good?”

“Bit test was good.  We’re armed and ready,” he responded.

“Well then, here goes nothing.  Firing!”

With a dull pop, the missile left the tube, then seeming to sag in the air as its rocket motor ignited, it nosed up and flew up and away. 

“C’mon, we’re gone.”  Even before the missile had closed half the distance to the distant tank, O’Brian and Metcalf were sprinting from the launch point.  They ran a good 75 meters, then flung themselves down, snapping the empty canister from the CLU, and snapping a new heavy one in its place.  A distant ‘Boom!’ announced the arrival of their missile, but neither knew for sure how they had done.  They knew the Javelin was deadly, and trusted that they had spiked their target.  The carefully began to creep up to set up another shot.

http://youtu.be/YNN-FiTmyqE

SPC O’Brian and PVT Metcalf engage a T-90 of the Southern MRC.  They really wanted to engage the Tunguska, but could not get line of sight.  Expect this engagement, coming immediately prior to arrival of Speed and Power Main Body, should throw a nice wrench in the Russian plan.  End of video (note, I learned how to ‘pause’ though I still don’t have a video editor <sigh!>) is Brytva 21 showing what to do when your infantry target runs into a shack.  Will be curious after the match to see if this engagement caused any casualties…  or if there were any survivors!  A few end-of-turn snaps to wrap up.

16001478497_c0e4751f40_h.jpg

16187275745_ba0424a8f3_h.jpg

15567470173_86e2934f57_h.jpg

At this point I am officially caught up, and am sending the main-body turn back to Bil in about an hour.  Thanks for bearing with me.

“Damn, this fricking jamming! – Outlaw 16, this is Power 6, over…”  LTC Shawn Falkner swore again in frustration over the whine of the M1A2SEPv3’s hydraulics, as he tried to reach his scout platoon leader on the Battalion Command Net.  The tank was sweeping forward, rolling smoothly over the broken terrain, its turbine engine whining and the rubber-shod steel tracks clattering on the occasional stone. 

“Three, this is Six, I’ve got nothing.  I can see the smoke plumes just like you can.  I assume they are in trouble, but unless the whole section was wiped out we should be able to reach somebody!”

MAJ Abrams in the Bradley to Falkner’s left responded tersely. 

“Roger.  I’ve got a smoke column to my front.  ****, it’s a HMMWV…”

Falkner keyed his mike: “Staff Victors, break for cover!” warning the lighter HMMWVs accompanying his command group to seek safety.

“Identify Tank!” his gunner suddenly screamed, followed an instant later by the loader: “Up!” indicating he had armed the 120mm cannon and was clear of the path of the recoil. 

“Jesus, Fire!”  the Colonel responded, and the smoothbore cannon roared, an instant before the speeding M1 dropped down a small rise.  Falkner just had a glimpse of the T-90 spitted on the sabot tracer, then a bright flash and suddenly spotted target dropped out of sight. 

“Infantry left,” the loader sang out, and Falkner grabbed the joystick for the roof mounted CROWs .50 cal, arming it, swinging it left and laying down a  stuttering lethal fire on the Russian mechanized troops.  The stabilized CROWs was deadly accurate at this short range.  As the Battalion Commander, he had more important things to do, but with communications so limited he had only managed a brief radio call with his company commanders 10 minutes earlier.  Suddenly a crystal clear call came over his headset, “Power Six, Blackknight Six, contact BMPs front, out!” 

Hot damn, at least I can hear CPT Farmer, he thought.  He’s in contact too.  Like an echo, the gunner sang out, “Contact, BMP, front!”

“Gunner, AMP, PC, point,” Falker ordered, directing a new ammunition.  It took a moment as the loader switched out the sabot he had automatically slammed into the breach after the first tank.  “Up!”

“Fire.”

“On the way!” 

A tremendous concussion rocked the tank the instant they fired.  Falkner thought for an instant they had been hit.  Normally, the 120mm cannon’s sound is greatly muffled inside the turret by the loud environment itself, along with the sheer  mass of the tank.  The ‘Cha-changk!’ of the breech cycling and dropping the spent aft-cap from the frangible shell casing to the turret floor is actually louder than the sound of the shot.  But not this time. 

“Crap! That thing frickin’ predetonated!  What…”

“Tree!” the gunner said. 

“I think we fragged the FSO!”  Falkner looked in horror at the up-armored HMMWV which had been leading their little gaggle.  He saw one of the armored windows was gone – blown inwards by the shock of the detonating round. 

“Up!”  the loader’s cry jerked him back to the fight, as the young PFC slammed another AMP into the cannon, and shoved himself into the corner of the turret, away from the heavy breech’s recoil. 

“Re-lase, to make sure, and check the GAS.” Falkner said into his mike, directing the gunner to double check the range and to ensure a clear gun-target path through the gunner’s auxiliary sight.  The GAS is essentially a rifle-scope, a simple telescopic sight fixed to the side of the cannon.  Since the main sights on the Abrams are offset above and to the right of the cannon, the GAS is used if there is any doubt to ensure the cannon is clear of obstructions (like the lips of berms or walls) and to check for a clear gun-target line.

“I got him,” the gunner responded.

“Do it.”

“On the way.”

“Cha-changk!”

http://youtu.be/6UHECovVSkA

Not done with the turn yet, but figured I owed you all a taste.  Power 6 rolls onto the map this turn.  The Russians are caught too far forward and too exposed.  More to follow, as the Battalion breaks out into the open and loses the hindrance of the jamming that has plagued them during their approach to the battlefield.  Apologize for trimming the trees in the vid, but it was the only way to glimpse the action.  The thermals see right through them, but we don't have a 'thermal image' option in CM yet.        

pnzrldr has started dishing out pain, rather than watching his forces die and die? Alert the media! Wait. Someone has!

(Stentorian intonation and blaring graphics WAR IN UKRAINE!)

"We interrupt this program for breaking news. CNN has just learned that main force US-led NATO units have arrived at (insert location) in Ukraine and are in heavy contact. We would've had this report sooner, but heavy jamming interfered with cell phones and our satellite systems. We go now to (insert name of war correspondent not allowed to be an embed).(Helmet and body armor clad field reporter is seen momentarily and with intermittent audio before screen dissolves into unrecognizable hash and producer tells anchor to come back) (With aplomb anchor states) We'll come back to (insert name) just as soon as technical difficulties have been resolved (which doesn't happen, since Putin's mightily determined not to show the flaming wrecks his once triumphant force is being turned into). Judging from early reports, it appears that the defending Ukrainian forces (details), together with unknown numbers of American advisers (more details), were previously savaged by (insert pejorative) Russian artillery, tanks and infantry fighting vehicles. It is feared the relieving force may be too late, though CNN has learned the newly arrived American tank and mechanized force is exacting terrible vengeance on the Russians, as it smashes through the Russian force in a headlong effort to destroy the besiegers and rescue what's left of the stalwart defenders. We turn now to our (talking head) military adviser (show Ukraine map first, then Digital globe hi-res imagery and maps of combat zone) who will use his expertise to fill us in on what's likely happening there." (Pontificating begins and continues until anchor becomes exasperated and abruptly breaks off because military adviser won't shut up). We'll keep you abreast of details as this important story continues to unfold. Stay tuned to CNN.

(Cut to same as at beginning)

"We now return to our original program."

(Gets back just in time for a cat food commercial)

----------------------------------------------------------------

AMP round info from Army.mil site on March 2013.

That was then. Here it comes. Presolicitation from Department of the Army. Lots of changes and amendments right through November 4, 2014.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

“Gunner, AMP, PC, point,” Falker ordered, directing a new ammunition.  It took a moment as the loader switched out the sabot he had automatically slammed into the breach after the first tank.  “Up!”

I always thought that when a round is loaded in combat situation, it always leaves through the muzzle. The idea being that it's better to send something downrange than wasting time reloading. That BMP would be dead if hit by APFSDS too.

Keep up the good work! :)

Pnzrldr, now that your reinforcements of tanks and mechanized infantry have arrived, could you give us a tactical analysis of how you are going to use them? I know there are many tutorials out there on how to do this and that in CM, but since you are a real life officer in an armoured unit, i would be very interested in how you are going to use your M1 mbts. Your story-telling is very entertaining and i like the way you are doing this AAR, but it is difficult to understand the tactics behind what you are doing if you are writing from the perspective of single soldiers on the ground.

EDIT:

btw your AAR kept me from dying of boredom yesterday. I had to travel by train for 5 hours and nothing to read with me but newspapers.

Edited by agusto

A question about the sort of event where Lt Upham's Bradley got brewed up by the T90. :(

In real life, if you were suddenly caught totally exposed ( cover more than a couple of seconds away ) and outmatched ( IFV vs Tank ), would/could you pre-emptively bail out ?

I always thought that when a round is loaded in combat situation, it always leaves through the muzzle. The idea being that it's better to send something downrange than wasting time reloading. That BMP would be dead if hit by APFSDS too.

Usually.  But remember the Abrams is both very survivable as  a platform, and carries a fairly limited supply of ammo.  When the first 18 are gone, it takes minutes, not seconds, to get at the rest.  Crews strive to shoot the right stuff at the right target, and given a PC without a seriously threatening ATGM (the 100mm ones just aren't going to do it against an Abrams front) it is reasonable that they might take 10 seconds to shoot the 'right' round.  In actuality, I was simply trying to account for what happened on-screen.  It certainly looked like a big pre-detonation on the tree, and obviously, a sabot would not do that.  However, if the TC knew when he shot the tank that he would be shooting a PC next, he would give "Target, cease fire, battlecarry AMP" once he saw the tank was dead.

Pnzrldr, now that your reinforcements of tanks and mechanized infantry have arrived, could you give us a tactical analysis of how you are going to use them? I know there are many tutorials out there on how to do this and that in CM, but since you are a real life officer in an armoured unit, i would be very interested in how you are going to use your M1 mbts. Your story-telling is very entertaining and i like the way you are doing this AAR, but it is difficult to understand the tactics behind what you are doing if you are writing from the perspective of single soldiers on the ground.

Right now, my tactical approach is...  roll Panzers vorwarts, and crush everything in my path.  Seriously, the Russians are way too far forward for their own health.  They have very limited opportunity to fall back or engage from my flanks.  I intend to take the north half of the map and establish fire superiority across it.  The little hillock in the very NW corner commands the whole swath of ground north of 347 and almost to the river, and it currently happens to have 5 tanks on it.  I will bound the tank PLT forward by sections, in short bounds, keeping the sections fairly tight.  This means that if one vehicle is engaged and pops smoke (automatic on laser warning), his wingman can potentially identify and destroy the threat before it can act, especially if it is an ATGM (cannon shells = faster than missiles).  There are two+ PLTs of Brads just south of the tanks, currently shooting TOWs and 25mm at everything on the north side of 347.   I'll keep the Bradleys grouped fairly close for the same reason.  The Bradleys will turn the tables on the remaining BMPs by mixing area fire with an overwatching wingman, one guy firing into the woods to 'flush,' the other overwatching to pick up and kill moving targets.  I was uncertain what the first turn would look like, so a number of infantry squads dismounted in case their Brads received first turn fire.  They will provide further cover/overwatch with their Javelins.  In the south, Jav teams will work through the woods to bring lethal shots from unexpected directions.  As you saw w/ SPC O'Brian, they require no real set up time, and are uber effective.   I've also brought US arty into play, directing a short/sharp fire mission on the farm complex in the northwest.  May be unneeded, but I'll likely let it fall for suppressive effect anyway. 

Bottom line:  Abrams alone, or dispersed are fairly lethal.  In wide open terrain, in pairs, they border on invincible.  When I roll the whole first turn, you'll see I took out 2 Krizantemas that were positioned way too far forward for their health.  Without those platforms, I suspect the Russians will have a hard time slowing me down, much less stopping me.