Coming soon.

Hello everybody. This time of year with the cooling weather, I get a hankering for some winter battles.

My idea at this point is to create a single-player axis campaign of perhaps 5 small/medium battles against the AI.

This will be a fictional campaign. It is December 1943 and the allies have been slowed in their attack up the boot. Hitler had an idea to strike during bad weather and inflict a significant blow against the allies in Italy and even perhaps have them delay or cancel the predicted 1944 invasion of mainland Europe.

Code name: Wacht Am Rapido. Unternehmen Autunno Nebbia.

Carefully gathered panzer forces leftover from the redeployment to Italy after Kursk will be used to launch an armored strike towards the 5th Army supply bases near Naples.

Features:

Quiet sector, green US troops.

narrow and few roads.

forests, fences, fields. snow!

bridges guarded by US engineers.

alternate rollbahns but risky due to mud.

"decision battles" where player decides to take rollbahn A or rollbahn B.

"die roll battles" weather might get better allowing US air attacks.

US airborne reserves sent to defend key crossroads.

This stuff sounding kinda familiar yet? :D

I will shop for stock maps that look usable as is or with slight tweaks.

It will be targeted to play on the latest version of CMFI GL.

Player makes a decision map. 208mx208m.

In case you never played one of these campaigns with player decisions...

The battle briefing will explain the situation and the player picks from 2 courses of action.

Selection between 2 routes forward or unit allocation options.

My small map will open with I think a kubelwagen parked on one end of a road.

If the player goes with course of action A he drives to the area notated as the objective.

You might have to advance the turn a few times to end the battle.

If the player goes with course of action B he remains in place and select ceasefire.

Then things proceed accordingly.

Another type I will have is a coin toss. Heads you drive forward. Tails you remain in place.

Or a die roll. 1 or 2, drive forward. 3,4,5,6 remain in place.

Reason will be weather and enemy reaction.

Just trying to make it interesting.

Field Marshall Blucher definitely did the "player decision battle thingamajiggy" in his CMBN campaign "Devil's Descent" but I am unsure what other campaigns have used it

Maybe the new manual should have a section in the campaign portion about "player decision battle thingamajiggy". :D

My goal tonight is to do the OpMap which will be the same one for all battles but with arrows where you are going and boxes for the location of the current battle.

Standby

Hello everybody. This time of year with the cooling weather, I get a hankering for some winter battles.

Awesome - couldn't agree more. Haven't played enough CMFI recently and winter battles even less. It will give me that special season feeling :)

Also small battles is a big :) in a campaign.

I finally found what I think is the right font for the German staff officer hand-written notations for the unit numbers, the proper style "1" and "4" and "7". "Claire Hand" at da font dot com. If anyone has a better one, please tell me what it is called.

I will add more axis and allied unit symbols and numbers. And the names of smaller towns but legible so the joke and fun is not wasted. I used 14th Army because it was stood up the next month anyway in response to the Anzio landing. In fact I am using all those Anzio formations as the attack forces for this operation. 26th Panzer Division, 29th Panzer Grenadier, 3rd Panzer Grenadier, 715th Infantry Division, Infantry Lehr Regiment. 1st Parachute Corps and LXXVI Panzer Corps. So maybe we can call this semi-fictional at some point. :D

RapidoOpMapFormat_zps853fb040.jpg

An entire army has been secretly brought into this sector of the front to support an audacious plan with the potential to change the outcome of the war. 1943 has been a bad year for the Fatherland. On the Ost front, we are still reeling back from the summer disaster at Kursk. Moreover, the loss of both Africa and Sicily combined with the Salerno landings earlier in the fall have made the time ripe for a high stakes gamble to stall and disrupt the plans of our Anglo-American enemies.

^

Your overall mission is to reach the supply docks in Napoli and stab a dagger in the heart of 5th Army.

^

You will get the chance to command a variety of kampfgruppes!

Panzer Kampfgruppe Von Wenman.

Fallschirmgruppe Kerner.

Nachshubgruppe Schwartz.

More details will be explained in each battle briefing.

^

The 5th Army is composed of a mix of both familiar veterans as well as newly arrived green units. You will encounter mostly US troops but other allied troops have also been seen.

^

Strike with iron-clad boldness! Cross the Musa River at any available bridge. The roadnet in this area is very challenging. Be on the watch for any opportunity to by-pass enemy resistance but follow your assigned rollbahn unless otherwise directed in the battle briefings. Use attached forces to protect your flanks and press on with brutal shock force to the docks at Napoli...

^

Your overall mission is to reach the supply docks in Napoli and stab a dagger in the heart of 5th Army.

^

Strike with iron-clad boldness! Cross the Musa River at any available bridge. The roadnet in this area is very challenging. Be on the watch for any opportunity to by-pass enemy resistance but follow your assigned rollbahn unless otherwise directed in the battle briefings. Use attached forces to protect your flanks and press on with brutal shock force to the docks at Napoli...

Sounds fun - looking forward to play-testing if that will be an open event ....

Things are motoring along smoothly.

In my scenario folder I have a new folder for this campaign "Wacht Am Rapido" with the following contents:

1. Wacht Am Rapido.btt which has the initial briefing for the entire campaign with OpMap and the cover image you see at the campaign selection screen and axis units are campaign core unit(s) TOE. I am still tweaking that TOE.

2. Campaign script file, flow chart for how the battles flow with wins and losses.

3. I have all my numbered battles in various stages of completion. All the "decision or die-roll battles" with their small map are done. For the main battles, I had a helper assist me in going through the existing stock scenarios and QB's to identify good candidates to use with minor tweaks. With a blanket of snow, they almost seem like brand new maps anyway. Plus I will tweak the elevations and some terrain elements so this should not pose a problem to NOT make all brand new maps from scratch. Enemy TOE and AI plans will be new of course. I still have to write briefings and do TacMaps for the main battles. I have a 4-day weekend coming up...

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please PM me right away. I have a pretty good imagination but am open to other ideas and will give credit if used.

kk, this battle sounds vaguely historical...just can't put my finger on it. Waterloo?:)

Good to see you back in the saddle with your creative juices flowing. I haven't played CMFI/GL in about a year, and still have to finish my Goumiers. Testing for RT, then RT release, then CMBN Vehicle Pack, and going back to work part time all got in the way. But this campaign has fired me up to get the mod done and get back to Italy.

We were finished with all the winter mods, correct? I need to dig them out and take a look. Any specific help you need with this campaign?

mjk

Severian,

"All Playtesters will muster at 0400 outside kohlenklau's house for PT and a 1 mile open water swim. Bring your laptops."

:D

PT is no problem at all, my SS boys are doing massive daily hikes in Rokko's new RT scenario that I am testing ....

The poor sloggers with bulging calves who could not mount on the Stugs are all yours :D

Hi Mark,

Yes, it feels good to get a project rolling. We finished the Bulge 44 mod and I uploaded it all. I am writing this campaign to not really need the mod but I am sure it would look so much better if players did load the mod. I think I am okay for help at the moment. I named a FJ kampfgruppe after you. When you play the campaign you will see what they are up to...

Don't eat too much turkey!