CM Black Sea – BETA Battle Report - Russian Side

I'm pretty sure 30mm fires air burst too when area firing. The only way to do it in CMBS will be with something that does not have air burts ammo with enough power to destroy a wall. I'm surprised Russians do not get at least a singe squad of engineers considering there are mines on the map.

I'm pretty sure 30mm fires air burst too when area firing. The only way to do it in CMBS will be with something that does not have air burts ammo with enough power to destroy a wall. I'm surprised Russians do not get at least a singe squad of engineers considering there are mines on the map.

I will have a couple BMP-3 platoons in the vicinity in the next turn or two.. while I'm waiting for the next turn I'll do some tests with BMP-3 versus the tall wall.  I'll do that this evening and let you guys know what I discover.

Privet, Komandir!

CiC wishes to express his displeasure at the reasons being given for the delay. Crush the pocket immediately.

;)

That's pretty ungrateful of the CIC if you ask me... in proper Russian fashion I have attacked and annihilated what I believed to be the most important enemy formation, the Ukrainian MRC, while bypassing the enemy formation in the pocket which appears to be second rate.  This task took all of 10 minutes or so, how much faster would the CIC suggest I move?  Providing me with another MRC or tank company would be better received than his armchair leadership.

Plans are in motion for the reduction of the pocket and I expect to attack its soft underbelly in the next three or four minutes.

The CiC is not always a reasonable man, I imagine - on a serious note you've maneuvered insanely fast given that a significant portion of your force is dismounted. I imagine the mapmaker did not expect the battle to develop so rapidly. How do you plan on keeping your supporting fire in the game as you go into closer quarters with the Ukrainians? Do you expect your casualties to increase noticeably as you go room to room? 

I'm curious to see how the UKR troops perform in close quarters, rifle to rifle.

Edited by Rinaldi

I'm surprised Russians do not get at least a singe squad of engineers considering there are mines on the map.

I don't think the effectiveness of engineers at clearing mines in a firefight has been improved; Bil mentioned some demo charges...

...placed the scout teams that do have breach kits on the other side of the map...

...which would allow the bypassing of mined entrance points, but unless engineers have gotten a serious buff (that's not been mentioned, AFAIK) I'm not sure they'd help very much.

Are there any mine clearing vehicles in the BS TO&Es?

How do you plan on keeping your supporting fire in the game as you go into closer quarters with the Ukrainians? Do you expect your casualties to increase noticeably as you go room to room? 

My supporting fire, other than my aircraft will be spent by the time I come to grips with the Ukrainians in the town.  I don't know what condition they are in, but they must be pretty beat up after 11 minutes of artillery fire... my priority targets are any enemy vehicles and any ATGM or RPG teams I can identify.. I don't need to kill all the Ukrainian infantry to accomplish my main task (eliminate this enemy force as a threat), thus I shouldn't need to go "house to house" except to clear the objectives.  My number one philosophy is to NOT fight the battle that my opponent is best suited for so I will be avoiding any house clearing if possible.

I will have a couple BMP-3 platoons in the vicinity in the next turn or two.. while I'm waiting for the next turn I'll do some tests with BMP-3 versus the tall wall.  I'll do that this evening and let you guys know what I discover.

Update on this... I just did a test and the BMP-3 takes the high wall down in 2 or 3 shots.  So I have my way in.

Onward, charge, crush and no prisoners.

Play the Mexican music that was played at the Alamo in Texas to give Scott the idea you have in mind for the Power Station.

Hmm.. what music was that Stephen?  I have a nice classical guitar rendition of Malaguena.. perhaps that would suffice?  

Oh, and I don't mind prisoners.   ;)

taking no prisoners is a surefire way of increasing one's own casualties as the enemy will fight to the death instead of giving up 

Taking no prisoners is also a waste of ammunation, not only of human life. If you take prisoners you can use them as human shields or for mine clearence. Even just executing your prisoners later is still much more cost-effecient than killing them on the battlefield. Although, of course, if you care about morals you shouldnt really do any of the above.

Edited by agusto

Taking no prisoners is also a waste of ammunation, not only of human life. (...) Although, of course, if you care about morals you shouldnt really do any of the above.

You have heard of bayonets, haven't you? There's no need to waste ammunition, just throw the prisoners off the roof of the power station as an example!

Bil,

Moscow is behind you! Crush all who oppose you! Shoot them, stab them, burn them, run them over with your tanks, leave none alive! Advance toward victory over the burning flattened corpses of your enemies!

Michael Emrys,

Very cool! Thanks for posting the vid. I'd vaguely recalled some mention of it, but had never heard it. And since you did all of us a favor, here's one back.

BletchleyGeek,

I had no idea Spanish had an umlaut. But then, high school was a long time ago. Also, I've read the new movie about Alan Turing "Imitation Life" is spot on. Given your handle, this seemed like something worth mentioning to you. If you don't already know.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

BletchleyGeek,

I had no idea Spanish had an umlaut. But then, high school was a long time ago. Also, I've read the new movie about Alan Turing "Imitation Life" is spot on. Given your handle, this seemed like something worth mentioning to you. If you don't already know.

Well, it's not nearly as common as in German :-) And probably in Latin America they might have a different opinion regarding whether it's right and proper to use it or not. 

Good catch on the nick, John!

And probably in Latin America they might have a different opinion regarding whether it's right and proper to use it or not. 

Good catch on the nick, John!

It's right and proper, both. We laugh a lot on the RAE, as they're the ones cheapening the proper grammar.

BTW, regarding the nick, I've just finished "Cryptonomicon", right on the subject.

The Thirteenth Minute

1st MRC - continues to move through the gullies to setup their AT screen and OP/LP positions... the Counter-Attack (CA) Force is in position just behind the AT screen and ready to react to any potential enemy movements.  The rest of the company is either setting up in depth to defend this terrain or are starting to move toward the Power Station to start building the Assault Company.

1st%2BMRC%2BSITREP.JPG

2nd MRC - the T90s that were supporting the two BMPs and infantry hunting the US Scout Platoon have pulled out to start their trek to the Power Station.  The BMPs, with their infantry screen in front begin to hunt forward looking for the US units.  Two things spotted at the end of this turn.. the platoon leader team, and another SA-13.. this last was spotted by BMP-3 #1 and it was taking aim as the turn ended.

2nd%2BMRC%2B-%2BUS%2BScout%2BHunt.JPG

The more I think about it the more nervous I get about staying on center hill with this company.  The mortars Scott fired last turn, hitting my infantry teams really brought this home to me.. I need to move most of them forward into the gullies, clear them and take up positions from which I can attack any US reinforcements.. this will also mean that Scott will have to deal with them in close.. it'll be like the Battle of the Washboard at NTC (look it up).

The positions in green marked 1, 2, and 3 are the supposed positions the US Scout Platoon could be in.  I know there was one HMMWV and team in #1, might still be there... I also know there were a couple more HMMWVs in position #2, I haven't seen them leave, so they might still be there.. if I missed their withdrawal then they should be in position 3.  With the Platoon HQ in position 2, its probable that the other teams are still here as well.

2nd%2BMRC-SITREP.JPG

The following image shows what I suspect could be the entry positions for the US reinforcements.. As soon as I identify where they are coming in, I will then give you my analysis on what I suspect they might do.. so we'll revisit this image then.

Potential%2BUS%2BEntry%2BAreas.JPG

The Pocket - Tunguska #2 moved forward, fired up one of my unmanned TIgrs (destroying it) then started moving quickly back toward the town moving right by one of my recon teams (which does not have an RPG).  Tunguska #1 turned up in an overwatch position overlooking the river... hmmm.. this might give me an opportunity.  No other activity was noted.. oh, my artillery is still falling despite losing my observer last turn.

The%2BPocket.JPG

Edited by Bil Hardenberger