Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

patches & hotkeys

Patches alter all the text strings in the game. Resetting hotkeys to account for this is probably unavoidable.

This is why using an outdated version of Vin's animated text mod will show you text from other CM titles: now your riflemen are named "T-72" and your Panthers are labeled as if they are Javelins or AK-74's.

Patches alter all the text strings in the game. Resetting hotkeys to account for this is probably unavoidable.

Sorry, but this is wrong. If there is a new command which should have a hotkey the patch could check the hotkeys.txt if the letter has been taken or not. If taken add new command without hotkey, if not add hotkey. Leave the rest as is in both cases.

That patches break things for the player is annoying.

Sorry, but this is wrong. If there is a new command which should have a hotkey the patch could check the hotkeys.txt if the letter has been taken or not. If taken add new command without hotkey, if not add hotkey. Leave the rest as is in both cases.

That patches break things for the player is annoying.

I don't think hotkeys.txt is the only file involved.

With recent patches, I notice that trying to use an outdated Vinnart mod (which doesn't touch hotkeys.txt) actually shifts the locations of the hotkeys in the in-game options menu. So, for example, "Target" shows up under the movement commands rather than combat. Obviously the game's use of text strings connected to hotkeys involves more than just reading the hotkeys.txt file.

Always take out your mod folder and your hotkeys.txt right there with it. Patch, fire it up, close it, put them back (Yes to copying over the new hotkeys that the patch put it in) and you're right back to normal.

Taking away the mod folder and putting it back makes no sense. The patch doesn't touch it during the upgrade process, and when it contains incompatible mods, you will have problems after putting it back anyway.

And if saving your hotkeys.txt and putting it back works (and it does), then the patch shouldn't have touched it in the first place. The hotkeys.txt had to be changed in some older patches, because of new commands or errors in the original one, but for the last few patches this wouldn't have been necessary, but it probably was a nuisance to the developers to remove that part from the installer. But now it is a nuisance to the player. (Well, a small nuisance, but anyway).

The reason you remove the mod folder is that if there is a conflict, the first time you start the game, you have to deal with that and you'll know the patch process went fine.

I understand that. I still don't see the advantage of removing the mod folder before patching.

If everything is fine after the upgrade you are fine. If it is not, you can remove the mod folder to investigate. But when you have moved them away before and your mod folders contains incompatible mods, you will also encounter them after putting them back, so that involves extra moving around.

Anyway, I only have a few simple floating icon mods in my folder, and they have never caused me problems. I can however imagine that with a ton of mods, including GUI and other tricky ones, one should be more prepared.

It is a bit annoying to have to reset the hoykeys each time an upgrade/patch is applied, but Ive done it so many time for different games/patches/upgrades that it doesn't take much time for me to do it in game. Does that mean I don't wish it were different? NO, of course not ;) What really does annoy me is loading up a game and hitting the "Q" key to plot a "Quick" move and find that my screen starts rotating :)

I understand that. I still don't see the advantage of removing the mod folder before patching.

If everything is fine after the upgrade you are fine. If it is not, you can remove the mod folder to investigate. But when you have moved them away before and your mod folders contains incompatible mods, you will also encounter them after putting them back, so that involves extra moving around.

Anyway, I only have a few simple floating icon mods in my folder, and they have never caused me problems. I can however imagine that with a ton of mods, including GUI and other tricky ones, one should be more prepared.

I'm not sure everything you say is so... I do have a ton of mods and have started removing my Z folder and saved games before I apply a patch or upgrade. I had some issues early on when I didn't remove them; it's been so long now that I can't remember what they were. I just remember doing a complete re-install of CMBN to get things straightened out.

The older I get, "a long time ago" for my memory was quite different than what it is now. When I was much younger, a long time ago was a year or more... now it's 30 minutes ago :rolleyes:

For the record I am with @Erik Springelkamp.

I have yet to remove my mod folder before upgrading or installing a patch. The one vital exception are to remove mods that are known to conflict with new versions. The only one I use is Vin's animated text - that mod is version specific and needs to be tweaked pretty much each time a change comes out. I have never touched saved games at all.

Don't be afraid - just go for it:D

And if saving your hotkeys.txt and putting it back works (and it does), then the patch shouldn't have touched it in the first place.

I wasn't so lucky with 3.11 patch about hotkeys.text. Had no problems before with hotkeys, but 3.11 .... also changed spacebar function to change 3D texture quality...

Now i have saved copy of hotkeys in save place. Than is just copy-paste.