modules and weapons packs

esco7800

By the way, anyone know how large files can be placed on "greenasjade"?

I made another version of the sound mods for all versions of CM (also for the Black Sea) - there are plenty of changes in total 2500 sounds that are after packing 600MB (after unpacking 900MB)

I am glad that we can agree on this

So am I - however that is as far as it goes.

I guess that depends of your definition of major. Both Russian and US SF and Recon units use a wide variety of suppressed and silenced ARs and sniper rifles. These weapons have a major influence on their tactics (i.e. support team suppresses an enemy strongpoint while the silenced snipers pick out enemy personnel from a different position without being spotted). I am not sure what kind of reference source you are looking for here. Just look at standard kit of Russian and US SF personnel and you'll see what I mean....

You said 'major role in today's battlefield' which is not true.

When I am talking about the special forces in context of CM, I am not expecting some super-ninja SWAT-like teams that kill all their enemies with king-fu death-grips in CQB. I am referring to scout/sniper teams with superior training, better camouflage capabilities, better spotting, and some suppressed/silenced weapons that are effective to 200-400m. So I don't feel that the game scale is at issue here. Now if the developers tell us that this can not be done with the current engine, so be it; and I will certainly not loose any sleep over it. But if it can be done, it will add a lot of new interesting tactical options to the current engine.

The editor allows you to do many of these things - set troop quality to higher levels.

That is entirely dependant on the cadre of troops that are involved in a particular enagement. If you have special forces and proper recon units - then the role of silenced/suppressed weaopns would be a major facrot. On the other hand, if you only have regular mechaniaed infantry - then, inded, there would be very litle use of such weapons.Similafly, the battle editor in CMSF allows you to designate your regular infantry units with a highest degree of training. However, Special Forces units' training and equipment are on entirely different level and that is not something that the older CMSF engine can handle...

\

That is entirely dependant on the cadre of troops that are involved in a particular enagement. If you have special forces and proper recon units - then the role of silenced/suppressed weaopns would be a major facrot. On the other hand, if you only have regular mechaniaed infantry - then, inded, there would be very litle use of such weapons.Similafly, the battle editor in CMSF allows you to designate your regular infantry units with a highest degree of training. However, Special Forces units' training and equipment are on entirely different level and that is not something that the older CMSF engine can handle...

As I said before RF airborne reconnaissance units issue 1 AKMSB per section to the lead scout when operating in the dismounted role - which is often.

Edited by Stagler

As I said before RF airborne reconnaissance units issue 1 AKMSB per section to the lead scout when operating in the dismounted role - which is often.

You are correct when refering to an older (pre 2000's) Russian OOB. At this point though, they use a lot more silenced weapons (like VSS and AS Val) at recon/sniper company and spec ops team level. Same is the case with our (US) guys as well. As I've said before, silenced/supressed weapons are definitely a factor on a modern battlefiled and it would be nice (if possible) to see that in CM games.

Speaking of equipment add-ons.. The T-72 upgrades the RF will receive in 2015 are now T-72B4s.. It adds a panoramic sight for the commander (the B3 is discontinued). It gives the tank a hunter-killer capability (greatly improves spotting)

Module fodder probably.

Here is offending vehicle

0e164dcf682abaabc7a969418d437f2d.jpg

Edited by Stagler

Speaking of equipment add-ons.. The T-72 upgrades the RF will receive in 2015 are now T-72B4s.. It adds a panoramic sight for the commander (the B3 is discontinued). It gives the tank a hunter-killer capability (greatly improves spotting)

That is true, but than again - they are not planning to buy any more T-90s; so realistically speaking a T-90AM is more than a fair substitute... Now if you really want to make it interesting - consider the fact that ARMATA (aka T-14/15) is supposed to go into service in 2015...

Combatintman,

If you're going to detail defense expenditures by country, it would be helpful to express the monetary system and size metric being applied. I'm rooting for quadrillions of quatloos (love inadvertent alliteration), but suspect that won't turn out to be the case!

kuri,

The Poles are highly motivated not to be gobbled up and are rearming at quite a clip. In a post on a different thread I explained some of what the Poles are doing. Here is what's going on in the absolutely vital air defense side of things. And that is occurring in the context of the signing into law and unveiling of a new national defense strategy in early November of 2014. I would argue for inclusion of the Polish Special Forces.

As you can see in the vids, the Poles are pretty high tech, well armed, well trained and use a range of tricked out weapons, only some of which are US made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWV-EYnH80c#t=72

kipanderson,

I strongly suspect the recent tanking of the Russian economy will put a substantial crimp in force modernization there. Earlier crimps forced abandonment of long standing  simultaneous dual procurement of a low- and high-end tank. The T-95 was canceled, and not only were there national level financial issues, but a host of lower tier woes, as detailed here. I think what you're talking about is, in practice, likely the Zubr-class monster hovercraft, of which there are several. This is a most impressive, heavily illustrated and vid equipped piece on the Ekranoplan. There is a real grog howler in this, since the missile weapons for the craft known in my former trade as the Caspian Sea Monster are listed as ICBMs, when in truth they were Mach 2.2 ship-killing SS-22 SUNBURNs. Your beloved one off Lun, which is completely nonoperational and will either be scrapped or put in a museum, was a kind of flying destroyer and irrelevant to the amphib discussion. The same can't be said of the A-90 Orlyonoks, which could cause serious problems. 

Cpl Steiner,

Every time I read about UK defense cuts, I want to cry. Given the seemingly incessant bleeding, which I've watched with horror and increasing depression for decades, I marvel the UK still has a military. Putin must be delighted the current UK ground forces are nothing like they were when the BAOR was the stuff of General Staff nightmares, nor relatively nearby in Germany.

Regards,

John Kettler

I'd like to suggest that for future modules, the following be strongly considered:

For the NATO allies, there would be...

Germany

Poland (big time on this one for obvious reasons)

UK

For Russian additions and allies, there would be...

Russian Naval Infantry (if not already present)

Chinese marines (whoa yeah!)

For all sides, I'd also like to see a significant integration of drones and low profile (meaning hard to see) combat robots.   

I'd like to suggest that for future modules, the following be strongly considered:

For the NATO allies, there would be...

Germany

Poland (big time on this one for obvious reasons)

UK

For Russian additions and allies, there would be...

Russian Naval Infantry (if not already present)

Chinese marines (whoa yeah!)

For all sides, I'd also like to see a significant integration of drones and low profile (meaning hard to see) combat robots.   

I agree with most of your points, except for Russian Naval Infantry. Their OOB is almost identical to that of regular BTR battalions. Obviously they are somewhat better trained and motivated than average Motor-Rifle formations; but their equipment is almost exactly the same. I feel that Russian Airborne units (VDV) with BMDs, BTR-Ds, 2s9s, 2S25s  would be much more unique and interesting than Naval Infantry...

From DreDay:

I feel that Russian Airborne units (VDV) with BMDs, BTR-Ds, 2s9s, 2S25s  would be much more unique and interesting than Naval Infantry...

Yes, the details that you supplied have convinced me.  Russian Airborne units it is then!  :)

That said, God forbid a real war breakout between NATO and Russia.  We're not talking about a third rate military here.  And there's this "little" detail of them having nukes like we do, so...

The other Russian "ally" that could be added, in light of the massive energy deal that they've just signed, is Turkey.  I know, I know, might seem "farfetched" now, but even ten years ago, who would've ever thought that they would've entered into such a massive energy pact with Russia as they just have?  Not to mention their tremendous reluctance in opposing ISIS and their types in regards to Syria.  There's a lot of evidence that they're actually supporting them.

Being that this is a "fictional" campaign, it wouldn't hurt to have us experience units that would make for some pretty unique and dicey scenarios.  It's a given that having Chinese units would be a smorgasborg of possibilities, but having Turkey ally itself with Russia - ho boy - would that create a nerve wracking mix.  It'd be surreal  to see their super modernized Sabra's (M60Ts), Altays, and Leopard 2A4s on the battlefield!    Having a Cobra go up against a Humvee?  Having officers/reserves armed with FN P90s?  And by 2017, their new MKEK MPT-76 assault rifle will be fully in service.

Yeah, imagine having to contemplate countering a battlefield with a mix of Russia's, China's, and Turkey's best units and gear... Eep!   ^_^   

Yes, the details that you supplied have convinced me.  Russian Airborne units it is then!  :)

I am glad that you agree. As for the rest of your post - I have already mentioned this in a couple of other threads... The scenario of US/NATO conventional force confronting Russia is certainly interesting and attractive from a gaming perspective; but it is absolutely unrealistic (Thank GOD!) in a near future because of a near nuclear parity between both sides... That's my personal view on it and that's as far as I am willing to carry on a political debate on this board.

Now as far as the other countries that could be added to OPFOR - the obvious choice would be Russian "Eurasian Union" allies like Belarus and Kazakhstan. Still, those countries mostly use older Soviet equipment (much like Ukraine); so the actual impact on gameplay would be minimal

Now China, on another hand, has a very unique set of equipment and a different doctrine from other Russian allies; so their addition would in fact add a lot more substance and depth to the game... but such scenario would probably have to be released as a different title in the CM series due to the amount of research and development that would have to go into it.

From DreyDay:

Now China, on another hand, has a very unique set of equipment and a different doctrine from other Russian allies; so their addition would in fact add a lot more substance and depth to the game... but such scenario would probably have to be released as a different title in the CM series due to the amount of research and development that would have to go into it.

Argh! 

:o

Don't say that too loudly.  We don't want to scare the developers off of a brilliant idea.  ;)

When it comes to China, I know very little about the actual performance capabilities of its troops and its equipment.  I can't think of a recent "classic" invasion being carried out by China in modern times to analyze.  Their tactics to conquer the world look mostly like them building schools, water treatment facilities, wells, and roads in whatever third world country who's mineral and labor resources they want to exploit.  They do this before first blowing them to smithereens, and then they haven't, thus far, tried blowing them up afterward.  And, honestly, this tactic to "win hearts and minds" seems to be doing very well for them.   Of course, it helps that Western countries are endlessly pouring their capital to build state of the art factories on China's mainland, but that's a topic for a different thread, isn't it...?  :D   

So, I "sort of" get why you feel the developers would need a lot of time to dig up research on modern day Chinese military capabilities, but I don't think that China is anytime soon going to put on an all out invasion for anyone's behalf, so that leaves us in a perpetual state of guessing.  There was a group of Chinese modders who invested a TON of hours into creating amazingly detailed PLA mods of Chinese units/gear/equipment for ArmA 1 and ArmA 2, but how accurate its depictions are is anyone's guess.

I say that we cheer the developers on in making their best educated guess as to what the Chinese can/can't do, and I'll be happy to open up my wallet in deference to the released product.  Who knows?  If some irate Chinese national wants to correct an error that Battlefront makes, they might just end up turning over valuable information over to prove their point.  A month later, we'll have a patch!  

Well, if a man's going to dream, dream BIG, eh?   :)  

Argh! 

:o

Don't say that too loudly.  We don't want to scare the developers off of a brilliant idea.  ;)

When it comes to China, I know very little about the actual performance capabilities of its troops and its equipment.  I can't think of a recent "classic" invasion being carried out by China in modern times to analyze.  Their tactics to conquer the world look mostly like them building schools, water treatment facilities, wells, and roads in whatever third world country who's mineral and labor resources they want to exploit.  They do this before first blowing them to smithereens, and then they haven't, thus far, tried blowing them up afterward.  And, honestly, this tactic to "win hearts and minds" seems to be doing very well for them.   Of course, it helps that Western countries are endlessly pouring their capital to build state of the art factories on China's mainland, but that's a topic for a different thread, isn't it...?  :D   

So, I "sort of" get why you feel the developers would need a lot of time to dig up research on modern day Chinese military capabilities, but I don't think that China is anytime soon going to put on an all out invasion for anyone's behalf, so that leaves us in a perpetual state of guessing.  There was a group of Chinese modders who invested a TON of hours into creating amazingly detailed PLA mods of Chinese units/gear/equipment for ArmA 1 and ArmA 2, but how accurate its depictions are is anyone's guess.

I say that we cheer the developers on in making their best educated guess as to what the Chinese can/can't do, and I'll be happy to open up my wallet in deference to the released product.  Who knows?  If some irate Chinese national wants to correct an error that Battlefront makes, they might just end up turning over valuable information over to prove their point.  A month later, we'll have a patch!  

Well, if a man's going to dream, dream BIG, eh?   :)  

I pretty much agree with everything that you've written here. Chinese military has not really gained any practical combat experience since their invasion of Vietnam in late 1970s which was largely a disaster for them. At the same point, they have been acquiring and developing (domestically) quite advanced and modern weapon systems which (besides their economic and nuclear power) make them one of the strongest conventional forces in the world today. Still, so far they have cosen to assert themselves economically and culturally around the world, much more so than militarily. I personally believe that to be a very smart (although somewhat unscalable strategy); but still if we are considering fun and challenging (albeit not very feasible geopolitical scenarios - a-la Russia Vs. US); it would be very nice to see the Chinese military in that mix either as a module or a separate title. I would be perfectly willing to pay for either...

Edited by DreDay

NATO Eastern Europe

Poland

Romania

Hungary

Baltic States

Possibly Czech and Sloval batttle groups

NATO Western Europe

UK

France

Germany

Belgium

Holland

And of course we must have US Marines and Airborne/Air Mobile (if nt already covered by US Infantry bttalion - I suspect that could be Mech Infantry, not Light Infantry)

Possibly Itally ad Spain

NATO Eastern Europe

Poland

Romania

Hungary

Baltic States

Possibly Czech and Sloval batttle groups

NATO Western Europe

UK

France

Germany

Belgium

Holland

And of course we must have US Marines and Airborne/Air Mobile (if nt already covered by US Infantry bttalion - I suspect that could be Mech Infantry, not Light Infantry)

Possibly Itally ad Spain

No offence - but you have pretty much listed 80% of NATO countries. Do you really think that this kind of a broad and ambiguous list helps the developers or the game fans in any way?

If I was to follow your lead - how about:

Belarus,

Kazakhstan,

Iran,

Serbia,

Syria,

Hezbollah,

Cuba,

Venezuela,

Argentina,

India

and North Korea for the other side?

Do you find this list helpful? ....probably not - again, no offence, but that's how your list looks like to me without any additinal arguments on how easily it could be implemented and what kind of impact it would have on the game.

No offence - but you have pretty much listed 80% of NATO countries. Do you really think that this kind of a broad and ambiguous list helps the developers or the game fans in any way?

Belarus,

Kazakhstan,

Iran,

Serbia,

Syria,

Hezbollah,

Cuba,

Venezuela,

Argentina,

India

Do you find this list helpful? ....probably not - again, no offence, but that's how your list looks like to me without any additinal arguments on how easily it could be implemented and what kind of impact it would have on the game.

Belarus,

Kazakhstan,

Iran,

Serbia,

Syria,

Hezbollah,

Cuba,

Venezuela,

Argentina,

India

Of those I only see Belarus as likely to be involved in a Ukraine conflict. Maybe Kazahstan at a (very big) pinch. The rest, no.However if BF were looking for future scenarios subject matter like a duture Arab-Isreali, India - Pakistan or Second Korean War would best feature some of those listed. In geo-political ermsd they don't fit in the CMBS combat environment.

Some or all of the NATO nations I listed. particularly those in Eastern Europe which have historical and geopolitical reasons for involvement are plausible combattents. Some of the Western European natins also are likely to contribute frces. Furthermore Putin might well decide to attack the Baltic States if only to divert NATO forces.

Edited by LUCASWILLEN05

• 4 weeks later...