This War of Mine

Cpl Steiner

Hi all,

I have been playing a game today called "This War of Mine" in which you control a group of civilians living in a bombed out house in Eastern Europe during a civil war. The group scavenges for food and supplies during the night, and spends the days resting, improving their shelter, or manufacturing items they can use or trade. Each day is a struggle to keep fed, healthy and warm. Some members of the group are smokers or coffee drinkers, and get miserable without their daily fix, but coffee and cigarettes are also valuable trade items, so it's a tough choice to consume them. Sometimes raiders come in the night to steal supplies, and sometimes the group is faced with the moral dilemma of whether or not to become raiders themselves. It's a bleak but artistically beautiful game that really makes you think about the civilian casualties of war.

I thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to try this game whilst waiting for CM:BS. It will give you a new perspective on what life would be like for civilians in a NATO-Russia war over Ukraine. I highly recommend it.

P.S. I hope I haven't breached any forum rules with this post. "This War of Mine" is in no way a competitor with any of BFC's games but I think it will make players of BFC's games think just a little bit more about the consequences of their pixel-troopen battles on the otherwise invisible civilian population.

Sincerely, being a competitor or not or whatever, I don't like this kind of stuff when I read CMBS forum.

I am sure your intentions are good, but, personally, I don't like this.

I am sorry if you disliked my post. To my mind, games are just another medium of artistic expression, so if it's OK to recommend a book or film that has some bearing on the games BFC makes, why not a game, as long as it is not a direct competitor to BFC's own products. I don't see why this should be viewed as bad forum behaviour but I respect your opinion.

Not sure- the wording is vague. You are not a distributor of the game so I don't know if it qualifies as an advertisement, only BF can say- if you get a PM and a warning you'll know for sure. ;)

5. Blatant advertisements - including commercial links - for non-Battlefront products, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also prohibited from these Forums.

Personally I don't mind it all that much, but more likely it belongs in the general discussion forum if allowed and not here.

In regards to the OP - looks like an interesting concept, but I think I'd really hate the scrolling 2D world- too 1980s arcade style for me.

Hi all,

I have been playing a game today called "This War of Mine" in which you control a group of civilians living in a bombed out house in Eastern Europe during a civil war. The group scavenges for food and supplies during the night, and spends the days resting, improving their shelter, or manufacturing items they can use or trade. Each day is a struggle to keep fed, healthy and warm. Some members of the group are smokers or coffee drinkers, and get miserable without their daily fix, but coffee and cigarettes are also valuable trade items, so it's a tough choice to consume them. Sometimes raiders come in the night to steal supplies, and sometimes the group is faced with the moral dilemma of whether or not to become raiders themselves. It's a bleak but artistically beautiful game that really makes you think about the civilian casualties of war.

I thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to try this game whilst waiting for CM:BS. It will give you a new perspective on what life would be like for civilians in a NATO-Russia war over Ukraine. I highly recommend it.

P.S. I hope I haven't breached any forum rules with this post. "This War of Mine" is in no way a competitor with any of BFC's games but I think it will make players of BFC's games think just a little bit more about the consequences of their pixel-troopen battles on the otherwise invisible civilian population.

Thanks for mentioning this. Looks pretty slick and the soundtrack from vids I seen online sound pretty cool too.

It's a really good game. It's inspired by the Serbo-Yugoslavia conflict and you are stuck in a besieged city.

I always imagined that should the Ukrainian military have been able to push past Donetsk city, they probably would've besieged the city in a similar manner. This game basically shows the hardships people then must endure.

The game certainly makes you think about the poor civilians that are always forgotten about in video games.

Funny this thread pops up. I've just been considering buying this game. Normally I'm not into survival type games, but this is getting so much good press I find it hard to resist. Is there any replayability value? Most of the good user reviews on *that thing that comes out of a 19th century train* show like 4-6 hours played. Though that could just be because it's new.

How's the emotional aspect of the game? I really like games that make me feel something.

BTW the only thing not allowed I think is an actual link to anything related to this game.

Hi all,

Looks interesting...the POV might not work for some people.

Reminds me of Fallout.

When determining if a post about another game is OK, there are the three things we look for are:

1. Is the poster a regular forum member who is trying to be helpful to fellow forum members, or is it someone coming in out of the blue acting as a shill for someone else?

2. Is the game a product that direct competes with a Battlefront.com product?

3. If the game does directly compete with a Battlefront.com product, is it being done as a fair comparison of features or is there a biased view being pushed for the other product?

Sometimes it's a fine line between a healthy and honest discussion of another product and a distraction from Battlefront and this Forum. These rules help us with that.

In this case I see no problem with any of the three points above. That means this thread is perfectly OK for this Forum in general, but it is a bit off topic for CMBS and therefore should be moved to the General area. Which I am doing now :D

Steve