Ability to change/remove PBEM passwords

Everything has.

;)

If you remove the password at the end of the game you would need to remove the pw from all .ema files. So you need a function that opens a .ema file, decrypts it and encrypts it again (without loading it completely). I guess that does not exist.

Then it needs a GUI within CM which is always difficult. Having that as an external program without GUI would mean that we all had a password cracker for .emas at out hands. Don't think we want to go this route. :)

I can't remember if we can save directly after the replay before pressing the red button. If so then maybe a 'save without password' button would be easier to make. Then one could at least make some turns public.

Hmm, well, this wouldn't be very useful if you think about it. Because that übercool turn you just saved will probably unreadable in a year when the game version moves ahead.

TL;DR: nice to have but problematic ;)

Hmm, well, this wouldn't be very useful if you think about it. Because that übercool turn you just saved will probably unreadable in a year when the game version moves ahead.

Good point. Make a movie instead and post it to You tube, then we can all enjoy it. :)

Easier to pick a password, that you are prepared to give to your opponent & others when the game is completed.

^^^^ this is a good way to go. I use the notes field in Whose Turn Is It? to record my passwords.

Oh, to lose a Tiger like that is just so very sad. I like the glooorious determination of the Soviet commander sending his men in to do close-in battle by hand with the hitlerite machinery. But still, the blemish upon the Tiger commander's record for losing it like that can never be erased. For shame, sir, for shame!

:)

Thanks for sharing. Woot.

Passwords: I always send my password to my opponent at the end of the battle. It's the gentlemanly thing to do.

If you remove the password at the end of the game you would need to remove the pw from all .ema files.

OMG, I certainly didn't think this one through properly before I posted. :o

Of course that would be the case and as a consequence probably more effort and involved than it's worth, and would never have suggested such a proposal had I thought through it more.

I think I just don't like the idea of having to create, remember and manage my own unique/random passwords for each and ever PBEM and end up using just one, as well as having to manually enter it in each time.

OK, so rethinking this again, what I should have probably suggested instead was to potentially have the ability/option for CM to:

1) randomly generate and assign a password automatically to a PBEM game (a "enter in password or automatically generate?" option)

2) save this password to a local file which is automatically used once the incoming PBEM is received (game would look for key text string in the ema filename)

This would remove the need for a player to create, record and/or remember each and every (unique) password used in their PBEMs AND remove the need for them to manually enter in each password everytime they receive a PBEM file.

If the player ever wanted to share their PBEM ema files with anyone else, they would just use the one that was randomly generated by CM for that PBEM without any problem.

Make a movie instead and post it to You tube, then we can all enjoy it. :)

Haha yes, there are some well produced ones out there. My reason for sharing wasn't necessarily to show uber cool stuff. More for allowing others more freedom to scrutinize the goings on of a battle first hand, potentially from both sides of a battle.

I use the notes field in Whose Turn Is It? to record my passwords.

Hmm...I know about H2HH but didn't know about this program...will look in to it.

Maybe you're now overthinking it, Lootenant! My pw is "a"...always. Not much trouble. Okay, so now I"ll have to change it to, I don't know, maybe "b" or "z". :) And of course you don't even need to actually put in a pw even when it asks for one. Much simpler, but you're banking on your oppo not tumbling to the idea that you wouldn't use one, but still...

Haha yes, there are some well produced ones out there. My reason for sharing wasn't necessarily to show uber cool stuff. More for allowing others more freedom to scrutinize the goings on of a battle first hand, potentially from both sides of a battle.

Sure understood. I like your idea of automatic password saving. Sadly it would probably be a bit more work than BFC would like - at least compared to the million other things they really want to do too.

Hmm...I know about H2HH but didn't know about this program...will look in to it.

Good, let me know what you think. Green as Jade certainly beat me out with the public launch of his CM Helper and he nearly has the entire share of the "market". As he should - good product + out on time = winner.

Like this one in our current battle??? :D (sorry for the hijacking.....nothing to see here.....)

LOL no that was a good move and a good movie.

LOL nice

preserved for eternity now

Sigh, indeed.

Oh, to lose a Tiger like that is just so very sad. I like the glooorious determination of the Soviet commander sending his men in to do close-in battle by hand with the hitlerite machinery. But still, the blemish upon the Tiger commander's record for losing it like that can never be erased. For shame, sir, for shame!

The Tiger was immobilized dueling with IS2s so the tank commander gallantly decided to stay and fight while the infantry in the woods withdrew to fight again. I knew there was infantry coming and had a call in for mortar support to protect the flank of the tank. You can see the spotting rounds falling in @Fallout's video. Sadly it was to late.