Wow

rocketman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is a LRS platoon? Long Range Scout?

Also what is a COLT section besides a young horse, pistol or malt liquor?

A COLT section is an "Combat Observation team and lasing team", LSR platoon is a long range surveillance team, these are the guys who are stationed 100 of miles into enemy lines for up to 30 days. They are mostly an intelligence gathering force where the UAV's or satellites can't watch 24/7.

A COLT section is an "Combat Observation team and lasing team", LSR platoon is a long range surveillance team, these are the guys who are stationed 100 of miles into enemy lines for up to 30 days. They are mostly an intelligence gathering force where the UAV's or satellites can't watch 24/7.

Special forces?

Think like a really big artillery area target ellipse. Inside it, you get spotting acquisitions for the unit that launched the UAS. Requires a targeting unit, sort of like artillery. Can also be set to attack if desired/equipped, aside from observe-only missions. Of course, depends on whether the enemies' air defense assets shoot it down! Observation ellipse can be shifted around like artillery. Not a dynamic moving video, but a reasonable abstraction. Not perfect, but enough to provide the effect and fun to play with.

I want to know though, are more small arms be added to the game for either the RU or UA forces later on like the PKM, VSS, NSV/Kord, SV-98, RPG-29, ZU-23 etc?

PKM should have been on list, I asked Martin to add it in. Just a typo. Other than some machine guns that are only found on vehicles that were left off of the list, it should be a complete list for base game release.

So how do the UAVs work in general? Are you able to move the camera a certain distance each turn to spot things in UAV camera mode?

They are called in using a similar format to how you already call in air support in CMSF. However, they use Observation missions instead, which typically have a faster response time and adjustment time than CAS. these missions can be plotted anywhere on the map, they do not require line of sight from the observer to initiate. The observation area can be a defined circular area like normal CAS Area missions or a linear path to watch something like a road or the back of a ridge line.

During the Observation mission, they will spot enemy units like any other unit on the map. Vehicles in the open are the easiest to spot, infantry in buildings are very difficult to spot. The UAV will also share spotting information with other units through the C2 chain, so if a UAV is observing an area and spotting enemy units then your ground units with a C2 link will also have an easier time spotting those enemy units. The observer can also call in fire support on the area that the UAV is observing.

Armed UAVs such as the MQ-1C can perform observation and strike missions, and switch between the two at will.

This is, of course, assuming that it survives the enemy AA defenses...

Next time I stream some Black Sea I'll be sure to use some UAVs so that you can see them in action.

After reading some of the comments in the CMBN forum, I revisited CMSF a few months ago and had forgotten how much fun it is. The pace of modern combat in the CMSF series is wickedly fast compared to CMBN. If you play in real-time mode, large scenarios in the CMSF series are extremely difficult to manage without cheating with the pause key because things happen so fast. I'm excited that Black Sea has finally been announced, with more capable opponents and the new features, gameplay should be very interesting. My preorder's in, hopefully BFC will be sending me a Christmas present.

Master maps or is that a module addition?

There's only one master map that I can think of, off the top of my head. It's for two of the Russian campaign missions where there is a shore reconnaissance followed by a river crossing operation. Master maps don't really lend themselves to this setting, since the battles tend to take place in different locations. Some of the maps get pretty darn big though, enough so that modern ATGMs can be out of range. And of course there's a selection of fun smaller and faster scenarios. There's actually a quite nice mix of the two.