Any news bout TCP/IP WEGO with replay?

Pandur

i wont give up on this.

did the view on TCP/IP WEGO "with REPLAY!" change? did BFC maybe recognize that not everyone got 14.4k dial up anymore and that this can work.

the old excuse for the upload time cant be still valid. was never real valid in my view.

or still "will never happen"?

H2H live multiplayer dead since 2007 and no change?

its not like i did not try. with my CMx1 buddy i was used to play TCP/IP wego "with replay®", we realy sat down and tried to play a TCP/IP game simmulation with PBEM helper.

it took from 1900 hours to about 0600 in the morning, for a medium sized scenario, not till finish but till the point i had surely won, we where on team speak for that.

the fact that only 1 person can enter orders at a time and you have to load the save each and every time...it just kills all the enjoyment :(

in the 11 hour session we play like 3 to 4 hour each, the rest was waiting for each others orders and waiting in load screen :(

the replay makes or breakes TCP/IP wego for me... . if they ever bring out a "with replay®" module or pack or whatever, i buy it, iam so desperate by now.

but so what, i guess i was just hopeing there, seems there was no change in thinking about it and the lobby that mode once had years ago is scattered to the wind :(

Having never tried it in CMx1, I'm curious as to how it works/would work ... I mean, when I'm playing a WEGO PBEM game, I watch the replay... A LOT.

Different angles, different camera heights, unit specific, etc.

It would freak me out to think that someone was waiting for me to finish - and they'd be waiting a loooong time.

What's the Point with WEGO if replay does not work?

that is a good question, got to ask the makers.

Having never tried it in CMx1, I'm curious as to how it works/would work

it works basicly like you play the computer. but instead of the computer there is another person on the other end that does input his orders at the same"!" time like you, when both sides hit the "go" botton the 1 minute turn starts.

when you finished watching the replay you could go to order phase independently without waiting for the other party.

as soon as both parties finished the next orders phase and hit "go" it start over again.

simple, elegant, fast, fun, yet not included.

why you ask?

well steve gave some vague reasons over the years, changing depending on in what year i asked.

"turn upload would take too long(1-5 minutes)"

"CMx2 is primarily played single player"

"its a single player game, no one would play TCP/IP WEGO with replay, it its a waste of resources and time" (why there is PBEM i ask?)

"i asked charles, he rolled eyes and said its hard to do"

that is the essence of what was said, i never got better reasons out of steve then this in answers.

hes the boss, cant help it.

the creators of a high fidelity battle chess simulation type "game" are not able to create what they already did in CMx1? somehow i am not buying that.

snarky? maybe i am a little snarky, but i get kinda snarky when i am frustrated with something, as most of us do.

and right now iam frustrated, i want to kill, kill my opponents man and machines in virtual combat in "the best" battle chess game known to man. yet i can play by carrier pigeon or realtime, "Oh rly?"

Having never tried it in CMx1, I'm curious as to how it works/would work ... I mean, when I'm playing a WEGO PBEM game, I watch the replay... A LOT.

Different angles, different camera heights, unit specific, etc.

It would freak me out to think that someone was waiting for me to finish - and they'd be waiting a loooong time.

I would love to see this mode available with a setting to limit the number of replays the players can view per turn, or limit the amount of time available to submit a move.

Wego tcp will still be a bit broken in the next patch unfortunately :-/

Don't really care about replay though, just want it to be stable so my friends and I can play it.

It should be much more stable in the next patch.

I'm not sure what you mean by "still be a bit broken"?

it works basicly like you play the computer. but instead of the computer there is another person on the other end that does input his orders at the same"!" time like you, when both sides hit the "go" botton the 1 minute turn starts.

when you finished watching the replay you could go to order phase independently without waiting for the other party.

as soon as both parties finished the next orders phase and hit "go" it start over again.

simple, elegant, fast, fun, yet not included.

But... this is how TCP WeGo currently works. If by "replay" you mean something you can rewind and fast-forward, then no, but I saw no mention of that in your description. Everything you've just described is how TCP WeGo currently works.

I dug up an old post. If we accept that file synchronisation is given (a la Dropbox) TCP Wego could be made without too much work (I guess).

i used dropbox with PBEM helper for my 11 hour session, was horrible, as i described.

- only 1 person can make orders at a time, not simultaneously

- every turn you need to load the save file, means 50 turn scenario -> minimum 50 times loading a save file.

But... this is how TCP WeGo currently works. If by "replay" you mean something you can rewind and fast-forward, then no, but I saw no mention of that in your description. Everything you've just described is how TCP WeGo currently works.

i am sorry phil but i hope you are jokeing, right?

what we have now is a butchered version of a once great play mode. if i want to miss all the action i play real time, thank you very much ;)

you missed this line in my description; "when you finished watching the replay you could go to order phase independently without waiting for the other party."

i am sorry phil but i hope you are jokeing, right?

what we have now is a butchered version of a once great play mode. if i want to miss all the action i play real time, thank you very much ;)

No, I'm not joking. I said

If by "replay" you mean something you can rewind and fast-forward, then no.

Which apparently you did mean.

you missed this line in my description; "when you finished watching the replay you could go to order phase independently without waiting for the other party."

No, I didn't miss it. This line has nothing to do with rewinding. When the (un-rewindable) replay ends, you can go to the order phase regardless of whether your opponent is doing so as well.

So... apparently, I failed to read between the lines of your post.

I find it very curious, though, that your description - which notably leaves out entirely any explicit mention of how rewinding or fast-forwarding helps your enjoyment - of how you'd *like* TCP WeGo to work, sounds exactly like my experience of how it *does* work.

Have you tried it? I've been working hard on fixes for it, it may actually be mostly up your alley. You have plenty of time to find the "right" places to watch, and I find that I rarely miss anything.

No, I'm not joking. I said

Which apparently you did mean.

No, I didn't miss it. This line has nothing to do with rewinding. When the (un-rewindable) replay ends, you can go to the order phase regardless of whether your opponent is doing so as well.

So... apparently, I failed to read between the lines of your post.

I find it very curious, though, that your description - which notably leaves out entirely any explicit mention of how rewinding or fast-forwarding helps your enjoyment - of how you'd *like* TCP WeGo to work, sounds exactly like my experience of how it *does* work.

Have you tried it? I've been working hard on fixes for it, it may actually be mostly up your alley. You have plenty of time to find the "right" places to watch, and I find that I rarely miss anything.

Can we hope that you will be releasing this patch with a playable we go TCP / IP before black sea release? because it's very close and targeting within this year.

Regards

Can we hope that you will be releasing this patch with a playable we go TCP / IP before black sea release? because it's very close and targeting within this year.

Regards

You mean with fixes for TCP WeGo? Yes. That should be happening extremely soon.

I play exclusively realtime tcp. I used to play Cmbb wego tcp and would also love to see this playmode come back to cmbn WITH replay. BUT I have come to understand and respect that Battlefront is, and have for long, told that this will not come back.

I am a great fan of the "solution" with autopause without replay, for the following reasons:

You can attack on each flank at same time/simultanious.

You can play with many more units, and still be able to give orders for all units. In realtime if you have more than 2500 point and buy no artillery, I find it hard to use/order/take advantage of all my units.

I seriously believe that the NEW tcp wego without replay, is gonna be THE GREATEST GAMECHANGER, meant in a positive way. It will really change the whole strategical level

I waited for this gamemode to work since it was introduced.

Ohhhhh Dear Battlefront i so much hope you succeed.

I still madly love realtime. Its the best game I ever played. But with autopause.......-this game will BLOW me away even more.

Good luck Battlefront

Hi Phil

I'm not sure what you mean by "still be a bit broken"?

Steve wrote this (below) in the other patch winge thread last week, so I am assuming from that there is still some issues with tcp WEGO. My main concern is putting some hours into a game and then not being able to restore the game successfully if something breaks.

Currently we are aware of problems with TCP WeGo (not RealTime) between a Mac and a PC, and minor and recoverable problems sometimes between two PCs or two Macs.

Personally I have no issue with no access to ff/rw in this mode. It's an excellent way to play, especially where both players have voip, leading to a more 'face to face' game experience. Plus you can knock off a game over 2-3 sessions.

thanks for your time on this one

cheers

Steve wrote this (below) in the other patch winge thread last week, so I am assuming from that there is still some issues with tcp WEGO. My main concern is putting some hours into a game and then not being able to restore the game successfully if something breaks.

Well, I think we've made some pretty serious stability improvements. Give it a shot after the next patch and let me know how it goes. We'll keep working on the game and improving it.

Personally I have no issue with no access to ff/rw in this mode. It's an excellent way to play, especially where both players have voip, leading to a more 'face to face' game experience. Plus you can knock off a game over 2-3 sessions.

thanks for your time on this one

cheers

Yeah, I find TCP WeGo to be fun as well. I like getting the pause to think, and I also like being able to swoop around for 60 seconds but know that we're definitely going to be continuing the game immediately thereafter. Good mix of time to think, but no hours of waiting for a return email.

Yes I realize I am a niche player among niche players. I do understand that WEGO improvements would not be cost efficient. Finally, I do recognize that there are technical difficulties. That said, there is no denying that current LAN based WEGO is somewhat insufficient to meet the player's (equals me) demands.

1) Huge battles needs micromanagement thus they are not partially playable for attacking player. That said, if I do micromanage my units I do want to know what happens to them.

2) Lets face it, most players do not want to experience the chaotic battlefield; they want to play chess. You can see it everywhere if you are willing to read between the lines.

90's PBEM system should be improved. Personally I would like CM to check & send turns automatically. When I open CM I would like application to inform me that I have new turns in my mail box and ask if I want to open them. Also mail should be sent automatically. Both email & drop box API exist so layman would believe this is something trivial to implement.