Drunk Tank?

Guest Mikeman

A guy did exactly that while I was in Germany in the army. He got mad at a local bar, went back to base, fired up his M60 tank, drove through the fence of the tank park to the bar and stuck the gun barrel in the window. He then proceeded to demand beer. After that we were required to lock all tank hatches and only tank commanders had keys. He surrendered to the MPs almost immediately. I wonder what he would have done if he had had some ammo? Never did see the guy again after that.

Mikeman out.

Guest Big Time Software

There is some bar in Belgium (I think) that has a Panther barrel stuck in the wall above the bar. It happened when a Panther got hit and drove into the building. They cut the barrel off and left it there for the owner to have bragging rights smile.gif I have seen a picture of the KO'd Panther and one of the bar, but the photo and story were some 15 years old or more, so it might not still be there.

Steve

On a related note, apparently there was some chap in the Bundeswehr who was doing his obligatory service but nobody in his family believed he was in a Panzer unit. So he wanders over to the maintenance area, fires up the Leopard 2 and drives on home.. Or at least most of the way. It was down for maintenance and didn't get there.

In the UK, if you have a full driver's license, you can drive a tank on the public highway (This is apparently illegal in the US. Silly gits). Some people do just that. There are two Abbot SPGs (One yellow, one pink) driving around London.

When the British Army were getting rid of the Chieftans, they were running at about £1000 each, and the army even provided a transporter to get it home. One chap lived in a little hamlet, the truck wouldn't get through. So, 'L' plates on front and back, and he drives the tank through the town. A bobby on a bike sees this, stands in the middle of the road: "Halt" Reputedly, the first words out of his mouth were "Excuse me sir, is this your tank?"

On that note, we've noticed that cars tend to give our AMLs a wide berth when we're driving around with Learner plates on them. Wonder why?

DWH

Manic Moran

I'm going to try and post a pic here off of my website. If it turns out OK (with my limited HTML knowledge) here's the story. We were travelling down a valley road in ouyr M1s in Germany. The tank two vehicles behind me lost a track(it wore out and snapped in two). The tank driver instinctively hit the brakes (rookie tendency, worse thing you can do) and the tank naturally swung 90degrees towards the side with the track still on. The correct procedure is to turn the T-bar all the way to the side missing the track and slow down gradually, the tank will maintain a straight line). Well, we lucked out since we were in this valley as the tank swervedto the river side where there were no houses. Had the opposite track broken the tank would have swerved straight into a house on the right hand side of the road. Here's the pice (if it comes out)

B34brokecopy.jpg

Guest Big Time Software

Great pic Scott!

I have a pic in one of my Military Vehicles Magazine in the FUBAR photo section (they do that each issue) with an M60 that skidded off a road into a shop or house. The entire left side of the vehicle was imbeded into the building. And you wonder why Germans still like us after all these accidents smile.gif

Trooper, the guy in question with the Abbot is very much disliked by other UK MV owners. His abrasive, anti-authority personality and some stupid acts, have placed new restrictions on MVs. At least that is what they have mentioned in the past. Unfortunately, it only takes one or two jerks to screw things up for everybody else in the MV hobby.

Steve